U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 04:44 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,587,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
This is nothing but Fail. The title was suppose to be Silva v Belfort but Belfort got injured. Dana wanted to Have Sonnen be the replacement but he just fought the war with Marquardt and felt he wouldnt be 100% for the fight and declined. Maia was coming off the win over Miller, and was in fighting shape so he took the fight.
yeah, i didnt even know about the fight with Dan Miller. i thought Maia went from losing to Marquardt to fighting Silva for the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 PM

2,047 posts, read 5,803,735 times
I'll jump into this discussion a little late...

Top wrestlers are a danger to anyone who isn't a wrestler. It is a very hard style to pick up later in life. If you go in against a great wrestler, you'll probably end up on your back. Then you have to STRUGGLE to get back up. I respect wrestling as a style, but absolutely hate the guys in MMA that haven't rounded out their skills. A few guys have truly blended their wrestling into MMA but not many.

Sonnen did dominate Silva for 4.75 rounds. However, he landed something like 300 punches, yet Anderson looked fine after the fight. Most of those were those little hammer fists to just score points. That is my problem with SOME wrestlers. They are simply trying to out-point their opponent, there is no intent to end the fight. I think they are going to have to start standing them back up quicker when the person on top is throwing those BS strikes trying to score points without intent to finish.

I said in the first round "something's wrong with Silva". There is no way Sonnen hits a healthy Silva with those 2 shots on their feet. I think the rematch is going to be lopsided in favor of Silva. Sonnen may get him down a couple times, but I don't think he'll be able to keep him there and Silva with knock him out eventually.

Regardless, Silva won in spite of probably not being 100% and getting pounded on for 23+ minutes. That is what champions do. I think it showed a lot of heart for him to be able to pull out that submission.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 PM

8,268 posts, read 10,177,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
That is what champions do.
Yup. The great ones find a way.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:54 PM

furthermore...

I hate it that when a fighter has a bad night, "fans" say he has been "exposed". These guys train incredibly hard. The punishment that the body takes after years of training, cutting weight and fighting for a living is incredible. I've trained in martial arts for 15 years. I've competed in numerous amateur competions. Some days, you just aren't as sharp as others. Sometimes, the other person's style is the perfect style to counteract yours, even though that person technically might not be a better fighter overall. A bad night does not negate a career of accomplishments...and oh yeah, he won anyway.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,570,273 times
Here's the thing:

Everybody is talking about how wrestling is Anderson Silva's Achilles Heel. But, he was put into the ring with two Olympic-caliber wrestlers (Henderson and Sonnen) and he beat them both. Who is left to honestly challenge this guy?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Here's the thing:

Everybody is talking about how wrestling is Anderson Silva's Achilles Heel. But, he was put into the ring with two Olympic-caliber wrestlers (Henderson and Sonnen) and he beat them both. Who is left to honestly challenge this guy?
At 185...there is a deserved rematch with Sonnen, then Vitor. Guys like GSP and Fitch could come up to 185 to challenge him, both are problematic styles for him (very strong wrestling) and both are big 170 guys. Or...he needs to move to 205. 205 has a much deeper talent pool right now than 185 IMO.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:44 AM

I don't see what the motivation for GSP to move up would be, after Kos there is still rematch potential with Fitch plus Shields waiting in the wings. That will take him well into middle of next year with solid challenges at his natural weight where he's the champion.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,670,221 times
170 is NOT gsps natural weight. the man walks around at nearly 200 lbs. he was, per his won admission, 192 lbs when he fought bj penn the last time.

on the flip side to that, silva wants to drop to 170, and i dont think he can do it, i walks around about 215-220. that is just to much to cut and 205 is perfect for his frame.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM

I was referring to his natural weight class as a fighter, we were talking about the fighting right? Sheesh rigas sometimes I think you argue just for the sake of hearing yourself argue.

He competes at 170 and looks great doing it, doesn't suffer from too much weight cutting, never fails to make weight, he's a 170 pound fighter. If he fought at 185 he'd cut 5 pounds and be fighting guys who walk around at 210+ and cut over 20 pounds.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,670,221 times
he should be fighting at 185 IMO. mma should IMO have day of weigh ins. they really need to cut out the weight cutting. it IMO plays to much of a factor in the fights. when you have a guy that walks around at 200 lb (like gsp) and cuts 30 lbs to get to 170 and fight guys who walk around closer to 170 (bj penn) the team with the best "staff" wins.

i also think mma needs to implement at least one more weight class in the middle of 205 and 265. maybe 225 or 230 something like this. guys like randy have no business in with guys like brock simply because of their size. maybe add a super heavy for 265+?

the weight cutting/ weight classes is my biggest pet peeve. i also do not want them going nuts and having 9 billion weight classes like boxing, i mean is there REALLY a difference between fighting at 105 and 108 or 122 and 126? i mean the only real difference is the title, so boxing can have a guy like manny who has won 7 different titles in 7 weight classes, and mma has barely even got 7 classes total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)