U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,857,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
he should be fighting at 185 IMO. mma should IMO have day of weigh ins. they really need to cut out the weight cutting. it IMO plays to much of a factor in the fights. when you have a guy that walks around at 200 lb (like gsp) and cuts 30 lbs to get to 170 and fight guys who walk around closer to 170 (bj penn) the team with the best "staff" wins.

i also think mma needs to implement at least one more weight class in the middle of 205 and 265. maybe 225 or 230 something like this. guys like randy have no business in with guys like brock simply because of their size. maybe add a super heavy for 265+?

the weight cutting/ weight classes is my biggest pet peeve. i also do not want them going nuts and having 9 billion weight classes like boxing, i mean is there REALLY a difference between fighting at 105 and 108 or 122 and 126? i mean the only real difference is the title, so boxing can have a guy like manny who has won 7 different titles in 7 weight classes, and mma has barely even got 7 classes total.
Day of weigh ins are dangerous. It won't happen. Guys are going to cut weight whether they do it the day before or the day of. If a guy cuts a bunch of weight, and gets into the ring/cage dehydrated without enough fluid around his brain, there is a serious risk of brain damage and death. Like it or not, weight cutting is a part of combat sports.

I agree with you about a 230 weight class. The heavyweight class is becoming a class for freakish 265+ lb monsters. I also think they should go ahead and fold the WEC weight classes into the UFC. I think the smaller guys should have a chance to fight on the big stage as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 01:26 PM

8,268 posts, read 10,321,807 times
Quote:
he should be fighting at 185 IMO. mma should IMO have day of weigh ins. they really need to cut out the weight cutting. it IMO plays to much of a factor in the fights. when you have a guy that walks around at 200 lb (like gsp) and cuts 30 lbs to get to 170 and fight guys who walk around closer to 170 (bj penn) the team with the best "staff" wins.
Well to be fair BJ Penn fights at lightweight and doesn't have near the frame than most welterweights have.

GSP walks around at 190 and I honestly can't think of many top welterweights who are any smaller before cutting weight, hell Alves and Hardy are both heavier. GSP really doesn't have much of a size advantage in most of his fights.

Quote:
i also think mma needs to implement at least one more weight class in the middle of 205 and 265. maybe 225 or 230 something like this. guys like randy have no business in with guys like brock simply because of their size. maybe add a super heavy for 265+?
Agreed on the cruiserweight, perfect for the Cain/JDS/Fedor/Mirko/Nog type fighters who hover in that 220-240 range.

Super heavy I don't see much of a market for it would just be freak show like Sapp.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:43 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,814,915 times
actually the major jiu jitsu comps do weigh ins as you step on the mat.
the state of mass just dropped their day of weigh ins because the big bad ufc said no. IMO this is one of the best things to do with weigh in issues. from the state of mass:

Quote:
The Massachusetts "double weigh-in" provision calls for a fighter to be weighed in no more than 36 hours before his fight and again on the night of the fight. The fighter cannot weigh more than 1.0625 times his initial weight on the second weigh-in.

The formula means the higher the weight, the higher the allowable weight gain. For example, a fighter contracted to fight at 135 pounds can’t come in higher than 143.4375 pounds on fight night, 170 pounders cannot exceed 180.625, 205 pounders cannot exceed 217.8125 pounds, etc.
yes guys will cut weight and it COULD be dangerous but IMO something like this will remedy 90% of the miss matches in weight class. (except heavy obviously).

as for GSp not being bigger then the guys he fights, he is a little shorter then fitch but bigger build, he faced bj twice, serra twice, hughes twice, sherk (walks about 180 lbs per my 3 conversations with him at ufc 69) trigg, basicly the bulk o the guys he has faced have been smaller, and some MUCH smaller. he has faced a couple of guys heavier/bigger then him, like say alves who walks about 205, or hardy, mayhem miller, jay heron.

anderson claims to cut from 98 KG to 83 kg ( thats 216 lb to 183lb) thats 33 lbs!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
as for GSp not being bigger then the guys he fights, he is a little shorter then fitch but bigger build, he faced bj twice, serra twice, hughes twice, sherk (walks about 180 lbs per my 3 conversations with him at ufc 69) trigg, basicly the bulk o the guys he has faced have been smaller, and some MUCH smaller. he has faced a couple of guys heavier/bigger then him, like say alves who walks about 205, or hardy, mayhem miller, jay heron.
Yeah Sherk is obviously another guy who also fights at lightweight. GSP walks around at 190, his last two fights he has been the smaller man. Fitch, Kos, and Shields all supposedly around 190, Serra is 200, Alves, Hardy, Johnson all over 200.

GSP has fought a couple lightweights who were fighting out of their best weight class but he's hardly someone who stands out as being bigger than the other top welterweights despite having gained some muscle lately. I see no reason for him to move up to 185, welterweight suits his frame very well.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 PM

Top five welterweights on sherdog Aug 2010:

1. GSP
2. Fitch
3. Alves
4. Hardy
5. Kos

St Pierre certainly doesn't stand as having a size advantage on anyone there.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:18 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,608,664 times
Quote:
Agreed. I think there should be a 230 division as well. I also wonder if the featherweights and lightweights of the WEC should be just folded into the UFC. But, it might dilute and hurt the brand though.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yeah Sherk is obviously another guy who also fights at lightweight. GSP walks around at 190, his last two fights he has been the smaller man. Fitch, Kos, and Shields all supposedly around 190, Serra is 200, Alves, Hardy, Johnson all over 200.

GSP has fought a couple lightweights who were fighting out of their best weight class but he's hardly someone who stands out as being bigger than the other top welterweights despite having gained some muscle lately. I see no reason for him to move up to 185, welterweight suits his frame very well.
gsp was not MUCH smaller vs hardy, def thicker but not as tall. alves was thicker but about the same hight.
LMAO matt serra 200lbs? better guess again, matt serra is a little guy, gsp is MUCH bigger then him. he is listed as 5'6 and 155 lbs.
jake shields also fights at a more natural weight 185 lbs (gsp will not go up even though he can easily)

alves is about 200, hardy might be close, johnson?

so he is bigger then serra, bj, hughes, sherk, trigg. those guys alone make up 9 of his 15 fights in the ufc. he was about equal in size to kos and fitch both, so thats 11 fights he has been equal to or had a size advantage (in some cases a distick and significant size advantage) and only 4 fights he has been the smaller person. smaller being borderline IMO as well.

those top 5s all have one thing in common, they are all to big.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Agreed. I think there should be a 230 division as well. I also wonder if the featherweights and lightweights of the WEC should be just folded into the UFC. But, it might dilute and hurt the brand though.
i personally like the WEC, and the smaller fighters being there. i can see the wec getting a bit bigger with zuffa owning them and maybe an eventual "UFC A, and UFC B" maybe splitting maybe from light weight down and welterweight up. obviously this isnt happening soon as the talent level is just not quite there. look what happened to the wec guys who came to the ufc already, the 205ers are all but gone, and off hand i can only think of carlos condit and sonnen in any other weight class still around off hand.

i also like the wec with frank mir commenting and not stef bonner. i freaking hate listening to bonner talk.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
gsp was not MUCH smaller vs hardy, def thicker but not as tall. alves was thicker but about the same hight.
Bottom line Hardy and Alves are both bigger men than GSP, so it makes no sense to single GSP out as some giant among welterweights who should move up to 185.

- HARDY PLANS TO KNOCK GSP INTO THE NEXT DAY- MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more (http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10936&zoneid=2 - broken link)

"Hardy says he’s cutting down from somewhere in the neighborhood of 210 pounds for the fight with St-Pierre"

Quote:
LMAO matt serra 200lbs? better guess again, matt serra is a little guy, gsp is MUCH bigger then him. he is listed as 5'6 and 155 lbs.
He no longer fights at lightweight, what does his listing have to do with anything? By that logic GSP weighs 170. Serra is thick, Rogan said he walks around at 200 and despite Rogan's habit of exaggeration he's probably a lot closer than you.

Quote:
so he is bigger then serra, bj, hughes, sherk, trigg. those guys alone make up 9 of his 15 fights in the ufc. he was about equal in size to kos and fitch both, so thats 11 fights he has been equal to or had a size advantage (in some cases a distick and significant size advantage) and only 4 fights he has been the smaller person. smaller being borderline IMO as well.
The Trigg fight was over five years ago dude! You're claiming GSP should move up weight right now and believe he's some big welterweight, so one has to look at the division right now not a Trigg fight from 2005.

Who are the top five welterweights right now?

1. GSP
2. Fitch
3. Alves
4. Hardy
5. Kos

Tell me rigas, does GSP have a size advantage over the best in his division? Throw Shields in there while you're at it, he's not ranked at welterweight yet but will be.

Quote:
those top 5s all have one thing in common, they are all to big.
So elite of the welterweight division are all too big? That makes no sense man, none.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:07 AM

never mind man, you obviously dont get it so no point trying to explain the fact that a guy who walks around more then 20 lbs over "his fighting weight" should not be able to fight in that class. day of weigh ins would eliminate the teams that have an advantage because they have weight cut to a science. fighter should be fighting closer to their natural weight period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)