U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,643,030 times

Advertisements

i didnt watch the fight last night, but by all accounts, Chael Sonnen took Anderson Silva to the very limit last night. by all accounts he was winning the fight by a landslide up until his old nemisis, the submission, won the fight for Silva.

Sonnen, mostly a pure wrestler dominated Silva (then lost). another notable wrestler, Dan Henderson, beat up Anderson for one round of their Middleweight Title match before getting submitted in round 2.

are strong wrestlers a possible bane for Anderson Silva? does last night's fight against Sonnen give one pause about Anderson Silva's ability to clean out the 205 lb division even against strong (physically and technically) wrestlers like Jon Jones and Rashad Evans - both of whom have respectable striking? not to mention other strong wrestlers at 205. and does it cause those of us on the Anderson Silva by a landslide side of the Silva v. GSP debate to reconsider? i think it does. and, i would at least consider the possibility that UFC fighters are figuring out how to fight Anderson Silva.

then again, it could just be that Anderson was fighting injured like he said, and this whole theory needs to go back to formula. but imagine if Silva took on a GSP style wrestling program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:04 AM

573 posts, read 1,638,954 times
dan henderson didnt really do anything on the ground, anderson silva was injured, that's why he didn't perform at his best, GSP lost against Matt Serra, Lyoto Machida lost against Shogun, BJ Penn lost against GSP, Brock Lesnar lost against Frank Mir, but Anderson Silva remains undefeated in the UFC no matter what. GSP admits that Silva is better than him.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:11 AM

8,268 posts, read 10,383,328 times
He wasn't exposed, his take-down defense has been pretty well known as the hole in his game for some time.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:15 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,643,030 times
Thanks for your input and I don't necessarillly disagree, however your MMA math (A beat B who beat C, therefore A will beat C) is very faulty.

Edit: @ Hypnosis

Old 08-08-2010, 12:38 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,874,619 times
i would say it has been well known and the ufc has sent him a bunch of stand up guys or has not had many wrestlers at 185. i have never been one to believe he would/could win th 205 belt UNLESS it was against someone who wants to stand with him. i also think shogun would destroy him standing.

hendo didnt really want to grind him out like sonnen did, he wanted that big right hand ko like he had done to so many before. this is the problem i see with fighters in all fight sports, they KO someone or a couple of guys, or get a nice shot in and think "if i can do that then i will keep doing it" and they get predictable. hendo stopped wrestling and tried to be a stand up fighter.

i would say that at 185, gsp loses to silva, but at 170 gsp owns silva. i truly hope anderson doesnt try to get to 170.

you guys know jake shields moved into the neighborhood, while he is expected to fight at 170, he is better at the grind then sonnen (then anyone IMO) and shields will not get caught in that sub like sonnen did as he is a MUCH better bjj guy as well. also note, sonnen got several very strong nice punches in with anderson "nobody can hit me" silva. the reason.......... anderson knew he would be going for the take down and he keyed to much on the shoot in, and less on his dancing. nobody else could hit him because he was not worried about the take down. when did forest or james irvin take anyone down, when did rich franklin or pat cote? the only other fighter to do anything was travis lutter and the weight cut he couldnt even make took so much out of him that i honestly feel he would have won that fight had it been at a higher weight class or a catch weight in the middle. the ufc has IMO made matchups that favor anderson to show he is the PFP best and IMO the pfp is either bj or gsp followed by fedor then anderson.

i could see jake shields coming in and taking both the 170 and 185 belts as both belt holders are tailor made for him, GSP is going to try to take him down or vise versa and thats where the bigger possibly stronger shields wants to be, and anderson has shown to be easy to keep down once you get him down and he isnt hard to take down when pressured.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:15 PM

I disagree, I think Shields can get no better than #2 (or #3 after Fitch) in either weight class.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
the ufc has IMO made matchups that favor anderson to show he is the PFP best
Yup, those wily UFC guys feeding Anderson the top contenders in the organization to make him look good. The 185 is simply the weak link in UFC, what would they do better than guys than Franklin, Maia, Henderson, Marquardt, Sonnen, and Lutter?

Dude has cleaned out the division, is there same great fighter they are hiding from him? How exactly are they protecting Silva? What would Bisbing or Okami beat him up? Is Wandy "I lose to Franklin and Hendo" Silva the one they are shielding him from?

Old 08-08-2010, 02:07 PM

while i agree 185 is fairly weak, the styles of the fighters match up perfectly for him, and his 2 205 fights (the ones mainly to make him look like he is the pfp king) where gimme fights if there ever was such a thing.

he has faced leben, not exactly a grappler and 2nd tier guy if there ever was one
rich franklin twice, should have been a better fight but the style is taylor made for anderson
lutter, should have never been close BUT lutter has nasty ground game and good wrestling
nate the great IMO the best chance to beat silva
hendo, ummm washed up and while he shouldnt be he is a made match up with his "im a puncher now" attitude
irvin are you kidding me?
cote, see irvin
leites, see cote
griffin, should have been better then irvin but sure looked suspicious and also a taylor made match up
maia, he is to small and should be fighting 170 imo
sonnen was a gimme that went bad.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:45 PM

So who then? What UFC 185 guy should they have given him? I mean it's easy to sit here and say every top ranked fighter in the division was a scrub but what would you have done for the 185 champ any different? Bisping? If you can't come up with any UFC 185 guy better how does that support your claim that he's being fed fighters to maintain his record?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:07 PM

well lets see, maia had no business in there, cote either, leites also. leben was an OK test for his 1st fight.

i would say a guy like allen belcher would be a better fight then any of those guys. he has a strong wrestling base. mark munoz would give him fits, okami maybe also. now jake shields is going to be made to fight at 170 but may do both like in strike force.

as i said i agree 185 is weak but then how do you explain the 2 fights at 205? those are the fights where everyone started the "holy crap did you see what he did he is the best PFP fighter in the world." without even looking at who he faced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)