Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:07 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
Fedor has been fighting for like 10 years, long successful career, he knows when his time is up, he accomplished a lot. Other fighters not only damage their professional records but once they were top fighters, now they're just bums. You want Fedor to fight for many more years? You want him to turn out like Mark Coleman or Randy Couture? Is that what you want?
In all fairness, Couture is still winning for the most part. I think Chuck Liddell would have made a better comparison. I still do believe Fedor got caught by Werdum and had he paced himself and not jumped into arguably the best heavyweight BJJ practitioner's guard that he would won. However, the fight with Bigfoot shows that Fedor lost his spark and is going downhill or he needs to change his game significantly (specifically how to deal with the cage which almost screwed him in the Rogers fight and screwed him with Werdum and Bigfoot).

A lot of people forget that over the past 10 years that Fedor has been in some major wars and has been injured quite a bit. That has to take its toll physically and mentally after a while. Also, he doesn't strike me as someone who really likes fighting the way Forrest Griffin or Chuck Liddell like to fight. I think he mostly does it for the money and probably gets his competitive thrills from his Judo and Sambo competitions (remember that his main demand in contract negotiations is that he is allowed to take part in those competitions) and does MMA because it pays more.

He is without a doubt the most accomplished heavyweight in MMA and probably will be for sometime, but he might be going downhill and would rather go out with dignity rather than tarnish his legacy. He would probably rather spend time with his family, do his Judo and Sambo competitions, and make his living coaching fighters in Eastern Europe rather than constantly risking shattering his hand or face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
In all fairness, Couture is still winning for the most part. I think Chuck Liddell would have made a better comparison. I still do believe Fedor got caught by Werdum and had he paced himself and not jumped into arguably the best heavyweight BJJ practitioner's guard that he would won. However, the fight with Bigfoot shows that Fedor lost his spark and is going downhill or he needs to change his game significantly (specifically how to deal with the cage which almost screwed him in the Rogers fight and screwed him with Werdum and Bigfoot).
i think the cage screwed him in the werdum fight, and in the bigfoot fight he didnt know how to use it to escape or to his advantage. in the werdum fight, had he been in a ring (like 99% of his fighter before) he would have been able to move under the ropes to pass to side control thus ending any attempt of a submission but moving around to SC he ran into the cage and had no choice but to move back to the other side which allowed werdum to sink the triangle very easily. with bigfoot, had he known how to use the cage to create more leverage he would have had a better chance to escape then flopping around like a fish under BFs mount. this is not to say he would have won but it would have given him a better chance.

people do not realize just how different fighting in a cage vs ropes really is, the cage can become another opponent all on its own.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Speaking of improvements in automatic transmission technology, where the hell is our friend maryphagan, I know he's a big SF HW div fan I'd think he'd be pretty excited about this stuff and be in here posting.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I definitely don't think any less of fedor .... the guy is still an absolute beast

things are just changing and heavyweight is taking on a whole new meaning

he just physically doesn't match up and it's harder for him to work out of a bad position or to have the same level of success with what works on other guys

he'd definitely stand out in a lineup against the other top heavies out there

I thought he held his own very well in the first round and give bigfoot credit for not getting caught up in the fight, catching his breath inbetween and realizing that fedor was going to try and catch him, duck it and drive the takedown

then fedor took almost a solid 5 minutes of absolute, big boy punishment and was still fighting to the end of it ...... you could see with his tries to escape, etc that bigfoot was just too much mass ...... he couldn't shake him and he'd just reset and deliver more punishment

at this point he has to realize that his days competing with these guy is pretty much over ....... he can still compete and be a draw, but it will have to be at a different weight class or being content to fight guys closer to his size (which will be hard for any really competative person to limit themselves) .... maybe just do it for the check and continue to strive for sambo

Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
so whats this i hear about fedor saying he couldnt continue into the 3rd round?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
so whats this i hear about fedor saying he couldnt continue into the 3rd round?
All hearsay but it could have happened, I really think Fedor just wants to be home with his family and would be very happy coaching Sambo and MMA.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
He had ample ability to get out of the fight during the 2nd round and save himself a few more punches ..... his eye was a complete mess, no way that should of went any further and at that point what he thinks he could or couldn't do is irrelevant

if he said he couldn't continue I think that would be a fairly honest assessment and is different than an unwillingess to compete

after he tries his aresenal of escapes to zero success he could of given himself up for a submission and a quick tap ... instead he fought through submissions, kept trying and took an absolute pounding as a result

Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
The guys are too big and too skilled now at Heavyweight for a little guy like Fedor to be #1.

He's a legend in the 2000-2010 era, but no more.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:14 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post

A lot of people forget that over the past 10 years that Fedor has been in some major wars and has been injured quite a bit. That has to take its toll physically and mentally after a while. Also, he doesn't strike me as someone who really likes fighting the way Forrest Griffin or Chuck Liddell like to fight. I think he mostly does it for the money and probably gets his competitive thrills from his Judo and Sambo competitions (remember that his main demand in contract negotiations is that he is allowed to take part in those competitions) and does MMA because it pays more.

He is without a doubt the most accomplished heavyweight in MMA and probably will be for sometime, but he might be going downhill and would rather go out with dignity rather than tarnish his legacy. He would probably rather spend time with his family, do his Judo and Sambo competitions, and make his living coaching fighters in Eastern Europe rather than constantly risking shattering his hand or face.
Fedor seem to be doing what fedor does, hasn't lost his spark at all.. Just silva seem almost unstoppable once he manage to get to mount.. His huge frame, made it possible for him to just step over fedors legs with almost no effort.

I could not believe how lucky silva is, avoiding all those punches (his long arms seem to tangle up, and diminish any power fedor had behind them) 3 mins of swinging and not one clean hit from either of them.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I could not believe how lucky silva is, avoiding all those punches (his long arms seem to tangle up, and diminish any power fedor had behind them) 3 mins of swinging and not one clean hit from either of them.
lucky? he had good head moevement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)