Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM

81 posts, read 107,941 times

Advertisements

IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/2qunokp.jpg[/IMG]

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”—James D. Miles

Anyone who has been following the UFC long enough, can’t deny that they have watched The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) from time to time, even if they aren’t self-professed “diehards” of the show.

Personally, I don’t particularly care for the show, as I really only enjoy the fighting aspects of MMA, and not so much the hyped-up drama that has now permanently integrated itself as a part of this sport.

But I’ll still tune in from time to time.

In my opinion, the worst coach to ever appear on the show was a fighter who was hands-down, one of the most likeable and popular fighters in the entire history of the sport—Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (don’t worry, Tito Ortiz was a very close second).

In a previous article that I had written about my impressions of Rampage as a coach, I went on to explain that in order to be a good coach, first and foremost, a person must be driven to help others. That’s a top priority. A coach’s motivation must come from seeing others succeed.

Rampage proved time and time again that he was only interested in his own needs and sadly, he left his fighters without a coach on more than one occasion.

Good coaches are generally considered to be what is known as a “people person.” A person who possesses the combined qualities of being a great listener, and being someone who genuinely cares about and is interested in helping other people.

Whether you are selling a product, an idea, or even yourself, you must always prioritize the needs of the person that you are dealing with in order to make that other person feel more comfortable with you. It is important that they feel comfortable with you so that they can trust you.

You cannot learn anything of substance or significance from a person that you do not trust.

A good coach is also a great communicator. As a coach, you can have all of the technical knowledge in the world about mixed martial arts, but if you are not able to communicate effectively, then all of your knowledge and expertise will be lost.

In light of the UFC’s recent announcement that will see the former Heavyweight Champion, Brock Lesnar play the role of coach in the upcoming season of TUF against the rising Brazilian contender, Junior dos Santos, I couldn’t help but to wonder what sort of coaches these two men would make.

Rest of story
Source - MMACrypt.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 05:01 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
I'm definitely not a diehard fan of the show but will usually try to catch most of the inevitable all-day marathon they have on TV before the finale. I thought Ken Shamrock was the worst coach, although a case could be made for Rampage as well. I think the best coaches are often those who bring in the best team of coaches with them.

Brock is a weird choice as coach, he certainly has experience as a high level athletic competitor and wrestler but in terms of teaching MMA he really doesn't have that much to offer compared to many other lesser heavyweights or are more skilled but no blessed with his size and athleticism.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,963 times
It is 100% about ratings. Brock probably won't be doing MMA in a couple years. He is MMA's biggest draw by far and will bring in millions of viewers to the TUF program and the pay per view event. More viewers equals more revenue and possibly new fans of the sport. This is a solid business decision for the UFC.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:54 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Spot on, Mister 28... absolutely spot on.

One thing I wonder is communication. From what I've seen Brock doesn't talk much and JDS is chatty but not in English. I guess Big Nog did okay on TUF with a pretty strong accent but seems like JDS prefers to have an interpreter handy.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:26 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,963 times
Brock will do enough communicating to keep things interesting, I hope. His trainers are pretty good so they will pick up his slack if he doesn't help out too often.

JDS should be okay. They will probably have subtitles for his english.

Frank Mir would have been better for entertainment purposes as those two men legitamitely hate one another. Oh well, should be good tv anyhow.

Here is a great MMA site that is talking about this very subject on their communication. My favorite MMA site by far.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/1/20...e-tuf-13-drama

Last edited by Jason28; 01-20-2011 at 05:40 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
i hope brock goes full on heel for tuf

Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,776 times
yea they shoulda had mir as the other coach, that woulda been hilarious

Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhe33 View Post
yea they shoulda had mir as the other coach, that woulda been hilarious
that would either kill the show or set all time viewing records. MIR and lesnar are 2 of the least camera friendly people but their dislike would make people want to watch that train wreck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)