U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-16-2012, 10:39 PM

12 posts, read 7,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i didnt bother to reply before because its just a ridiculous statement. judo especially is a very good street defense system, much like jiu jitsu.
No it's not because you'll lose to someone who's good with a knife or a $4.99 can of pepper spray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-17-2012, 05:15 AM

5,028 posts, read 3,276,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC Girl View Post
No it's not because you'll lose to someone who's good with a knife or a $4.99 can of pepper spray.
so what your saying is that boxing can defend you from a knife or pepper spray?

and for the record if you buy a $5 can of spray, your not stopping much of anyone. pepper spray is a deterant but a small little $5 shot is enough to slow someone down for a 2 seconds maybe, but a bigger guy like myself (6' 225 lbs) isnt going to be fazed much, or at least not enough to really stop me. hell might just **** me off more then anything.

Unread 01-19-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
but a bigger guy like myself (6' 225 lbs) isnt going to be fazed much, or at least not enough to really stop me. hell might just **** me off more then anything.
Have you ever been tear gassed/pepper sprayed and/or been stunned by a stun gun?

Unread 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM

3,359 posts, read 2,790,334 times
I have been hit with both, in training scenerios...

And direct hits from both, literally paralize your breathing reflexes...and your only concern becomes getting oxygen to your brain...trying to breath...

Tear gas, and OC....

No joke, when given a direct dose to the face...or forced to stand in a room where it's leaked out...

Unread 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been tear gassed/pepper sprayed and/or been stunned by a stun gun?
actually yes, i am a us army ranger and you must "qualify" with CS gas which is a component of some "tear gas" and is more potent then the $5 key chain can you get at the store. my wife also owns a stun gun (granted its an older one) and made her hit me with it a couple of times to make sure she knew EXACTLY what needed to be done if she where attacked.

while somewhat effective neither can be 100% counted on as protection.

one of my closest friends is an instructor for houston police dept and was part of the gang division before he left to instruct. i have heard many stories from him of knifes, pepper spray, and tazers. hell he told me about how gracie jiu jitsu saved his life one time because he locked a guy who was reaching for my friends gun after bum rushing him in his guard, trapping one arm and eventually subduing him. he also told me about breaking a guys shoulder with a kimura and the guy continued to fight even with the destroyed shoulder.

Unread 01-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
actually yes, i am a us army ranger and you must "qualify" with CS gas which is a component of some "tear gas" and is more potent then the $5 key chain can you get at the store.
1) How did you react after being sprayed in the face with CS gas?

2) Have you ever been tasered and if YES how did you react to being tased?

Last edited by UFC Girl; 01-19-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Unread 01-19-2012, 06:09 PM

With cs it attacks the air passages and such, It makes you want to run away or at least run. The more you breathe in the faster it works. The second a person gets sprayed they are going to have some time (short period) to close the distance and attack. If you sprayed me, I would keep coming to attack, and your going to be effected from the spray. So that said we are back on semi even ground.

Never been tazed. Only stun gun.

Unread 01-19-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
If you sprayed me, I would keep coming to attack
You just gave a hypothetical answer - I have never sprayed you with CS gas and probably never will for obvious reasons.

So let me put it another way: Since I've never used CS on you, has anyone ever sprayed you in the face (a face not adorned with goggles, a bandana, a mask of any sort, etc, etc) with CS gas and if your answer is YES then how did you react?

Last edited by UFC Girl; 01-19-2012 at 07:02 PM..

Unread 01-19-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
The second a person gets sprayed they are going to have some time (short period) to close the distance and attack.
That "short period" or small window of ineffectiveness/non-penetration probably in most cases does not apply to tear gas. Meaning the very second a person is exposed to tear gas that person, almost instantly, starts to become disabled.

Last edited by UFC Girl; 01-19-2012 at 09:02 PM..

Unread 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
You just gave a hypothetical answer - I have never sprayed you with CS gas and probably never will for obvious reasons.

So let me put it another way: Since I've never used CS on you, has anyone ever sprayed you in the face (a face not adorned with goggles, a bandana, a mask of any sort, etc, etc) with CS gas and if your answer is YES then how did you react?
ok so in the "gas chamber" in the military, you are told to step forward, eyes closed, holding your breath. put on your chem mask, clear/seal it. breathe normally. then close eyes, hold breath, take off mask, step back to wall and breathe. at this time cs gas effects most the same but not all. in my case the cs gas took about 3-5 seconds on my 1st "qualification". as you are exposed the more you "tolerate" the effects. eventually while in a confined space the effects become very severe, your throat closes up, your eyes tear up/swell shut, and your nose runs to your knees. you want to puke. after exiting the "chamber" you begin to breathe fresh air and within a few seconds to a few minutes (again effects depend on the person) the "symptoms" begin to go away.

now in the case of an attacker in a street type situation, where you are standing in front of a person who wants to inflict harm upon you, you pull your pepper spray, and spray said person in the face. now this person is more then likely rather aggressive and more then likely in the process of coming at you to attack, and more then likely moving rapidly. now provided you actually have the spray in your hand ready you will likely only have a short period of time (seconds or less) and limited distance as well (yards to feet or even less) . now spray, aim and spray this person with everything you have in your weak $5 can of pepper spray. once you spray, this person is 75% of the time or more will reach you, AND you will also be the recipient of a portion, large or small of your own spray. what ever doesnt blow in your own face will be all over this person who just grabbed you. they may not do a whole heck of a lot to you or they may kill you.

a large portion of these situations are either a robbery or rape or a bar fight against a drunk guy.

Cops shoot a drunk criminal with pepper spray pellets, he feels nothing until it is below the belt! - YouTube

this is a prime example of how a person can act after being sprayed. no reaction to speak of

Hindley Street Fight - Scared Cop Pepper Sprays Some Idiots! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)