Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:20 PM

924 posts, read 2,604,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Howard View Post
Randy is horrible. He couldn't compete at HW, so he moved to LHW. When he couldn't compete at LHW he retired. He came back and defeated an injured Tim Sylvia (in a decision, while others have been mowing through Sylvia), and then beat Gonzaga via accidental nose-break.

The best fighter in the UFC at this point has to be an Anderson Silva, Matt Hughes, or Royce Gracie. They've had the most impressive runs and have all been great champions. If we're talking about fighters who haven't made a career in the UFC, but have fought there, then Nogueria's name needs to be mentioned as well.
Randy is anything but horrible, I'm not arguing that he is the greatest of all time but you can't argue with what the man has contributed to the sport...

Royce Gracie was a pioneer and modern MMA would not be where it is without him but that does not translate into greatest of all time...

Are we measuring greatness based on contributions, title reign, or actual skill?

If we go by skill the fighters of old can't compete with the modern MMA fighters even if you compare them in their primes... MMA has evolved and will continue to do so...

What do you think MMA will be like when the next generation of fighters that has been training MMA since age 13 take over? It will be a whole new level of competition...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:23 AM

45 posts, read 98,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Randy is anything but horrible, I'm not arguing that he is the greatest of all time but you can't argue with what the man has contributed to the sport...
Doing a lot for the sport doesn't make you a good fighter. Ken Shamrock and Mark Coleman have done more for the sport than Couture. They're not being mentioned. This thread is about the greatest UFC fighter of all time - not the pioneers of the sport. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:32 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Howard View Post
Doing a lot for the sport doesn't make you a good fighter. Ken Shamrock and Mark Coleman have done more for the sport than Couture. They're not being mentioned. This thread is about the greatest UFC fighter of all time - not the pioneers of the sport. The two are not mutually exclusive.
I said hes not the greatest fighter of all time but he is not horrible... He had some pretty dominant wins against tough opponents... I also think he is more skilled than shamrock or coleman...

Old 07-11-2009, 04:03 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Is this thread the best UFC fighter of all time or MMA in general? Anyhow, best UFC would have to be Anderson Silva. I'm not a big Silva fan, but he's pretty much dominated every fighter put in front of him, with the exception of the 1 round he lost to Dan Henderson. Machida may be considered as well if he defends the belt a few times, of course this is all completely subjective.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:56 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
Gracie? Hmmmm. basically the world was unaware of his art. Those first UFC's may have been somewhat unfair. Kimo hurt him. Severn didn't know what to do, but showed what a real wrestler could do.....for a while. Then it came full circle, because I saw Matt Hughes vs. Gracie as being unfair.

My vote is Anderson Silva. I say he is the best ever...right now

Old 07-11-2009, 07:39 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
Matt Hughes in his prime was on hell of a fighter. The fight against Trigg where he looked like he was done only to pick up and carry Trigg and slam him then rear naked choked was AWESOME.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:36 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Royce Gracie was the best and pioneer at the time also.
Frank Shamrock! At that time, he was the best when he left.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:55 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
Royce Gracie was the best and pioneer at the time also.
he was great at pulling hair!

Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
he was great at pulling hair!
That fight may gone the other way, no doubt, had hair pulling been against the rules.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:32 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
But i believe using elbows were also legal at that time. They were just fighting with what the rules allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)