Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 12:08 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times

Advertisements

Is the Gracie Jiu Jitsu being taught today at most Gracie schools the same style that was being taught before the UFC? Or has mma's evolution influenced what most Gracies teach today? Has Gracie jiu jitsu become more of a cross training style compared to the pre UFC days? Does this vary from one Gracie school to the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 01:42 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Well there are very few true Gracie schools. Most are so "cult like" in their helio Gracie is a prophet that they do still train per his direction. He did not believe in incorporating new styles, or anything as he, and by extension they believe his style is perfect. This is IMO the reason you don't see many gracies fight. Roger and renzo are not Helios kids or grand kids but cousins so they don't go that route. Helios nephew Carlson was a true mma pioneer IMO but you will see his schools (his son more now that he passed) where not gjj but Bjj schools, apparently you must have legal permission to call your school a gjj school even if your name is Gracie. Rorion made sure he got his part of the name.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Roger and renzo are not Helios kids or grand kids but cousins so they don't go that route.
I was wondering if Renzo's school reflected more of an mma influence since he's stayed closed to the current mma world with competing himself and coaching in the IFL a few years back.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Renzo is surely the man, outside of rickson Gracie, renzo is the only Gracie mma fighter I would really say I truely respect. Relek Gracie beat sakuraba by decision last year but damn relek is half sakus age.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I was wondering if Renzo's school reflected more of an mma influence since he's stayed closed to the current mma world with competing himself and coaching in the IFL a few years back.
I think Renzo's school will. The board is good for MMA fans to discuss. I also have some other channel for the latest UFC news, like Greenfeedz.com

Old 01-06-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkani View Post
I think Renzo's school will. The board is good for MMA fans to discuss. I also have some other channel for the latest UFC news, like Greenfeedz.com
is there a mod around that can stop the spam?

Old 01-08-2012, 05:31 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Is the Gracie Jiu Jitsu being taught today at most Gracie schools the same style that was being taught before the UFC? Or has mma's evolution influenced what most Gracies teach today? Has Gracie jiu jitsu become more of a cross training style compared to the pre UFC days? Does this vary from one Gracie school to the other?
All I can tell you is my experiences which were post UFC.
I started training in Boston in 1998. And under my instructor at the time we basically cover what some call sport Jiu-jitsu for competitive bouts. Basically a style that was geared toward getting you ready for the grappling end for a UFC about. And to be honest we covered self-defense very rarely. Basically for a lot of my stand up stuff and headlock escapes I used my old high school wrestling. Which has/and still is effective enough for me. But from what I been told and read there was more of a self-defense aspect back in the day. I remember when Royce and Charles Gracie put out their self-defense book. I saw how much stuff on the self-defense side the BJJ had. And actually I did make an effort to learn most of it. I can't say I've ever mastered it but have a good feel. But from what I've seen from the schools I've attend (3 of them). Most students are not interested in the pure defense stuff. A lot of guys that have a wrestling or some type of martial arts background just rolls their eyes when stuff like that is taught. They want to be taught sport stuff and to roll live as oppose to practicing self-defense.
Granted I have seen in the last three years where I'm at now (northern NJ for now). There has been more of a movement/effort by the instructors to add in self-defense to the classes. Whether this effort will last or not remains to be seen. But personally I don't mind it being added in, though at time it does get rather tedious and boring. I think it’s good to know if you ever get surprised and you’re back on your heels for a minute. Granted I’d probably revert back to my wrestling in a stand up position. But some other folks I don’t think it would hurt to know some of the self-defense stuff.

But that’s just my thoughts.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:52 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
All I can tell you is my experiences which were post UFC.
I started training in Boston in 1998. And under my instructor at the time we basically cover what some call sport Jiu-jitsu for competitive bouts. Basically a style that was geared toward getting you ready for the grappling end for a UFC about. And to be honest we covered self-defense very rarely. Basically for a lot of my stand up stuff and headlock escapes I used my old high school wrestling. Which has/and still is effective enough for me. But from what I been told and read there was more of a self-defense aspect back in the day. I remember when Royce and Charles Gracie put out their self-defense book. I saw how much stuff on the self-defense side the BJJ had. And actually I did make an effort to learn most of it. I can't say I've ever mastered it but have a good feel. But from what I've seen from the schools I've attend (3 of them). Most students are not interested in the pure defense stuff. A lot of guys that have a wrestling or some type of martial arts background just rolls their eyes when stuff like that is taught. They want to be taught sport stuff and to roll live as oppose to practicing self-defense.
Granted I have seen in the last three years where I'm at now (northern NJ for now). There has been more of a movement/effort by the instructors to add in self-defense to the classes. Whether this effort will last or not remains to be seen. But personally I don't mind it being added in, though at time it does get rather tedious and boring. I think it’s good to know if you ever get surprised and you’re back on your heels for a minute. Granted I’d probably revert back to my wrestling in a stand up position. But some other folks I don’t think it would hurt to know some of the self-defense stuff.

But that’s just my thoughts.
The Gracie system markets their stuff as self-defense.

Pretty much all of the self-defense stuff used in the Gracie self-defense system is legal in MMA, BJJ, and no-gi competitions. You will almost never see it used in those situations because it is not very effective (except for the headlock escapes).

It is ironic that most of the self-defense techniques are not used full force (except for the headlock escapes). Practicing full force against resisting opponents is the biggest factor that makes BJJ so effective.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:01 PM

14 posts, read 21,527 times
Gracie JJ doesn't exactly have a reputation for being open to other styles or schools of thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)