Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:55 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times

Advertisements

Since this has been pretty heavy in the rumor mill lately. The way I see it takes three things to make this happen, with the first two being a no-brainer....

1) UFC. From what Dana White says he's all in. This fight makes tons of money and generates lots of interest.

2) Anderson Silva. He's the one doing the calling out, and it appears he's content to just hang out until a big payday fight comes along. Why fight a guy like Weidman who most people wouldn't recognize if he was in line next to you at the grocery store when maybe wait a few more months and make 5x the money with a fight in a smaller weight class with one of the most recognizable names in MMA?

3) St Pierre. The x-factor, I've not read much about his thoughts on taking this fight but sounds like he's at least considered it if he's laying out terms like it being at 180. He's also the one who could probably have well received matches going forward with plenty of young talent at 170. I figure bottom line he doesn't have as much to lose since he's the smaller weight class guy, if he loses then he was expected to and his title won't be on the line.

Regarding the fight, I don't think it is as lopsided as some think.

For one the size difference won't be that huge. They'll both cut to make 180, but Silva will have to do a lot more of a non-water cut before the fight. If Silva hits the scale at 180 lbs he's likely walking into the ring at right around or under 200, and I think St Pierre will be at 195. Silva is much taller but St Pierre has a very long reach for a WW, the difference in reach would only be about an inch and a half.

Also I think St Pierre can take him down. Sonnen took Silva down, Henderson took Silva down, hell Travis Lutter took Silva down. GSP's takedown ability are unmatched in MMA, I don't think a 10 lb difference in weight is going to mean suddenly the guy who can take anyone down at will suddenly cannot throw a double-leg onto Silva who's shown a weakness at wrestling. I'm don't think an Anderson Silva who made 180 is going to be any smaller than Thiago Alves, who is far more and muscular and lower center of gravity. GSP's striking game is also very underrated, he's no Anderson Silva but he also isn't some plodding wrestler with no other dimensions to his game.

All of that said, I'd put my money on Silva TKO 2nd round. But I do think it'll be a lot more of an interesting fight than some people think.

Also = Condit isn't relevant here, I believe GSP will walk thru him. I like watching Carlos Condit fight but doesn't do well with strong top control guys (see Rory McDonald despite the win) and no matter what ring rust or concerns about explosiveness due to injury I don't see anywhere that Condit poses a challenge to GSP. I don't think the Condit fight has any bearing on St Pierre being available and willing to fight Silva. Sorry Carlos, is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 12:44 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Bad fight for GSP - I see no reason for him to take this - the risk is all his. GSP is moving up and usually when a fighter moves up he is the one with the better striking and athleticism - Silva is better at striking and probably equal at athleticism. GSP is just fighting someone like himself or better but who is naturally bigger - not good.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:12 AM

To me it seems the risk is all Silva. If GSP loses then fine he was expected to, he was matched against a bigger guy who fights at 185 and 205 and is considered by many the greatest MMA fighter of all time.

I think Silva's legacy takes a much bigger beating if he loses to a welterweight.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:55 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
To me it seems the risk is all Silva. If GSP loses then fine he was expected to, he was matched against a bigger guy who fights at 185 and 205 and is considered by many the greatest MMA fighter of all time.

I think Silva's legacy takes a much bigger beating if he loses to a welterweight.
Silva has more to lose if he is beat by GSP but I see the risk as being GSP's simply because I do not see his chances as that great - if you move up you should be the one who is a better, quicker striker and more athletic not the bigger guy - this is usually why smaller guys move up in the first place. I think GSP could take him down but not do much and risk being submitted and if in the stand up GSP gets knocked out in my book - he does have a suspect chin - and Silva will definately expose that. IMHO!

Old 09-09-2012, 02:23 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
So what happens to the WW belt if this fight takes place (it's not like GSP has been fighting 4-5 times per year lately)? Do they just leave it with Condit? I think that Silva would rape GSP, and both fighters (especially Silva) have little to gain. I would rather see Silva move up to LHW, or even Rashad move down to MW for a potential match with Silva. The biggest problem that I have with these catch weight fights that involve champions is that they hold up the contenders, because fights are so few and far between. If Silva and GSP decide to give up their belts, then that's a different story.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 PM

This fight would happen after the upcoming Condit match, so (assuming St Pierre wins) Condit would no longer be a factor in WW title, and this fight at catchweight wouldn't impact either title. Recall the Matt Hughes fight with Royce Gracie, it was catchweight and Hughes' ww title wasn't on the line.

What they both have to win = money. They would both get a percentage of PPV, and this would easily be the biggest PPV buy in UFC history.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
This fight would happen after the upcoming Condit match, so (assuming St Pierre wins) Condit would no longer be a factor in WW title, and this fight at catchweight wouldn't impact either title. Recall the Matt Hughes fight with Royce Gracie, it was catchweight and Hughes' ww title wasn't on the line.

What they both have to win = money. They would both get a percentage of PPV, and this would easily be the biggest PPV buy in UFC history.

I agree that a catch weight fight would not have a title on the line, but in this case it would delay the WW and MW contenders. Also, is this fight predicated on GSP beating Condit? Given that GSP has been out for a long time and both of these guys are point fighters lately (anything can happen with the judges), I'm not certain that GSP would automatically beat Condit.

I would rather see GSP vs Nick Diaz than either Silva or Condit due to the style match up (although I think that GSP would smother Diaz, and Diaz doesn't deserve to fight GSP since he lost to Condit). Imo it would be more fun to watch.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:45 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Silva would have GSP wearing panties by the end of the 1st.....over with not long after. Just too evenly matched skill-wise.....Silva is a LOT bigger and stronger.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:06 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
ok so after the condit fight there is pretty much nobody left to fight for gsp, nobody relevant really. as for silva the only fight at 185 left is wiedman and he is already taking a fight with someone else so that would be on hold anyway. i think they set the 180 catch weight to appease both fighters and keep the titles out of the picture.

now silva has looked fairly easy to takedown (provided you can get inside his reach) but the last few times he has been taken down it almost looks like in his head he says "ok take me down and do your worst because after that its my turn".

gsp is not a GNP guy, he is a get a takedown for the points and try to smother the other guy. the last guy he "beat up" was a much smaller bj penn. everyone else since then has been standing with a few takedowns thrown in for good measure (well except that dan hardy debacle). gsp is NOT going to stand with silva. the only way gsp wins this fight is a decision, and thats if he gets enough takedowns to sway the judges for 5 rounds while avoiding the precision striking that anderson is gonna put on him. if anderson can lay under a HUGE sonnen and not even receive so much as a scratch gsp is NOT doing any damage. none. if anything anderson may sub him just to make a statement, because everyone expects anderson to own the stand up and gsp to own the ground.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM

Yup thats why I'd predict Silva TKO, he's got such heavy hands and I think at some point he'd clip GSP hard enough for GSP to go wobble-knee like with Sera. Silva's timing with counter punches is so good, that super man punch GSP loves would be just asking for a fist to the face.

Good point on ww division, Nick Diaz would be the only intriguing fight for GSP I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)