U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:25 AM

2,351 posts, read 5,158,198 times

Advertisements

Anderson Silva and Jon Jones are both one of my favorites fighters in MMA. So this isn't just some bias fan boy theory and/or rant. With all the talk about these guys facing each other, I feel that Jon Jones has Anderson Silvas number and I think he can beat Anderson pretty easily by TKO.

Call me crazy but I see it. Jon Jones possess all the tools to beat Anderson Silva and one of those tools are his wrestling and ground-and-pound. He might not be as much as a technical striker but if Chael Sonnen and other fighters can take Anderson Silva down and hold him for a good amount of time (and in Chael Sonnens case from bell-to-bell), Jon Jones certainly can take him down and keep him there and smash him with the deadliest elbows in the game.

Anderson's BJJ isn't going to really be too threatening to Jon Jones and even though he might have the better, more precise stand up, I feel Jon Jones is just a fighter Anderson hasn't come across and his style will give Anderson fits.

If they EVER fight, I pick Jon Jones by TKO (ground and pound) or submission. I am really confident in Jon Jones beating Anderson Silva if they ever have a "super fight".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 06:25 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,670,221 times
the only "hole" in your theory really is anderson. he LET sonnen take him down in the 2nd fight, almost admittedly so between the 1st and second. he went into the 1st fight with a rib injury and ribs are THE WORST injury. he also made the comments that he planned to make it a good fight but he would submit sonnen (i also think he said he would get him with a triangle well before the fight happened). nobody else has been able to consistently put him on his back except lutter whom anderson said he was going to beat at his own game. lutter is a BJJ guy so there you go.

the other factor is jons chin is suspect and bjj sucks. vitor was (this) close to breaking his arm, and a slight turn in vitors body changing the angle is the only thing that stopped him. jones is going to have to be able to cover that chin, and watch the subs, HIS ONLY chance is to get on top of silva. not in his guard, but ON TOP. standing silva wins, under silva or in his guard, silva wins.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 AM

8,268 posts, read 10,177,259 times
I think Bones could win in Silva's guard too, dude throws elbows from last week and has broken faces from inside guard.

But either way any thread involving two great fighters one weight class apart that says one can beat the other is an automatic "agreed" from me. Silva can beat Jones. Jones can beat Silva. That is why we bother to have fights.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
the only "hole" in your theory really is anderson. he LET sonnen take him down in the 2nd fight, almost admittedly so between the 1st and second. he went into the 1st fight with a rib injury and ribs are THE WORST injury. he also made the comments that he planned to make it a good fight but he would submit sonnen (i also think he said he would get him with a triangle well before the fight happened). nobody else has been able to consistently put him on his back except lutter whom anderson said he was going to beat at his own game. lutter is a BJJ guy so there you go.

the other factor is jons chin is suspect and bjj sucks. vitor was (this) close to breaking his arm, and a slight turn in vitors body changing the angle is the only thing that stopped him. jones is going to have to be able to cover that chin, and watch the subs, HIS ONLY chance is to get on top of silva. not in his guard, but ON TOP. standing silva wins, under silva or in his guard, silva wins.
At the end of the day no one has knocked him out or submitted him (or beat him for that matter). Almost doesn't count. What else did Vitor do to make Jones look like he was in trouble? Jones pretty much did what he wanted with Vitor afterwards and then submitted him. And Machida and Bader, and O'Brian. So his submission game doesn't suck. I'm not saying Jones is unbeatable but I just know he'll put a beating on Anderson.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Jones was much much larger then vitor, bader is garbage (been saying that since TUF), and wasn't machida winning that fight before the guillotine? (The sloppiest cheapest submission there is)

Being able to pull off a sub doesn't mean you have good Bjj, and Jon jones has been very vocal after vitor about how he better focus on Bjj.

Don't get me wrong jones may be able to beat Anderson but I think you're not offering any credit to how dangerous Anderson really is. Jones hasn't faced anyone even remotely close to silva.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
and wasn't machida winning that fight before the guillotine? (The sloppiest cheapest submission there is)
Hah pretty interesting way of trivializing a good win by Jones.

First round was close, lots of feeling out neither guy was in trouble. Second round Jones takes him down, cuts him, then submits him. Choking out a quality opponent who has never been submitted early in the 2nd round is an accomplishment regardless of your opinion on the technique he employed.

Fight metric here: FightMetric - MMA Statistics : SQL/XML Data Feeds

Bottom line Jones kicked Machida's butt.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM

As you know, I'm no fan of capt boring aka machida so yeah.

The argument is basically that because jones subbed those guys he can/will beat silva and that's kind of a faulty argument.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Jones was much much larger then vitor, bader is garbage (been saying that since TUF), and wasn't machida winning that fight before the guillotine? (The sloppiest cheapest submission there is)

Being able to pull off a sub doesn't mean you have good Bjj, and Jon jones has been very vocal after vitor about how he better focus on Bjj.

Don't get me wrong jones may be able to beat Anderson but I think you're not offering any credit to how dangerous Anderson really is. Jones hasn't faced anyone even remotely close to silva.
Duuuuuude, you're totally downplaying Jon Jones submission win against Machida. First and foremost, Machida is a top quality opponent no matter how you slice it and he had NEVER been submitted prior to the Jones fight. The first round wasn't all that big of a deal. Some people say he clipped and opened a hole Jones but that really didn't happen. He rushed him and got a few shots in but didn't do anything significant.

Yes, he's been very vocal but every good fighter always tell themselves they have to sharpen their sword, no matter how good they are. Sure, Vitor almost caught Jones but anyone can get caught and sure Jones is a lot bigger than Vitor but plenty of smaller guys have won against bigger guys (Frankie Edgar being one of the prime examples).

You're right, maybe I'm not giving Anderson enough credit and that's silly because along with Jon Jones, is one of my favorite fighters and I think he's PFP number 1 fighter in the world. Anderson Silva has underrated and overlooked Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and there's no denying his striking. His striking is the best in the game, that goes without saying.

Sure, Anderson might be the biggest threat to Jones but I also feel Anderson has never faced anyone like Jones. Compared to all the other guys Anderson has faced, Jones is on a league all his own.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
The argument is basically that because jones subbed those guys he can/will beat silva and that's kind of a faulty argument.
Agreed, Travis Lutter had Silva in full mount and got a broken skull from it. He made Maia look like a joke.

Obviously skilled at submissions doesn't equate to beating him.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:02 PM

2,024 posts, read 4,396,599 times
I would lean toward Anderson Silva winning if the fight were to happen relatively soon or within the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)