Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 PM

42 posts, read 214,642 times

Advertisements

When did Dana White make a decision to have women in the UFC? I heard throughout these years that he wouldn't do it and now it's going to happen. Was there a day when he officially announced this fight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
The day he realized that Ronda rousey can make him a ton of money.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 PM

518 posts, read 406,597 times
She could kick my ass any day.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Dana is a douche, simple as that. His big mouth is ruining the UFC. 2012 has been a dreadful year for them. Overexposure and massive busts. UFC 151, lack luster Dos Santos/Valaquez, Allstair/Brock, and the eon of injuries to main events. More importantly, the move to Fox from Spike has not worked.

UFC PPV use to be a big deal, an event. Now its meaningless, maybe 2-3 good fights compared to 4-5 a few years ago. I stopped caring and I've trained MMA, its that bad.

UFC is about the jump the shark just like wrestling did ten years ago.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
I get what you're saying but its also not that bad Dub D. The UFC is bigger than ever before and whether people want to admit it or not, is the number one organization that has really brought MMA to the forefront of mainstream media. I do agree though that there's just too much MMA, well too much UFC at least. They seem to have a PPV every month but I guess when you think about it, its good for the fighters. More exposure, more money for them.

I have to say though, they should do a weekly or bi-weekly show or something. Show case smaller up-and-coming talent and then use PPV's for big fights. Stack all PPV with big names and a title fight on every card or special super fight instead of having a regular card that's the equivalent of something you can just watch on FX, Fuel or what ever other networks they are on for free. If anything they should do a Bellator style type of show for the smaller scale fighters. Create a tournament type of set up for each weight class. It'll create intrigue, get their names out their to a wider audience and people will get to know the fighters better. And I'm sure once these fighters go through some sort of tournament and get confidence in beating their opponents they'll start calling out the champ and that should definitely get some "Ooh's" and "Aah's".

There's 8 championship belts and 8 champions in the UFC now in each division. There's plenty of T.V. time for the other contenders and up-and-comers for those contenders to get t.v. time, fight time and of course $$$.

No disrespect to some of these fighters but for example, I don't want to see Rich Franklin vs Cung Le (though I think that event was free) as a headliner. Not that those guys aren't fun and exciting too watch but if there's no prestige on the line and they aren't the top of the echelon of their respective divisions or MMA, I don't want to pay to see that. That can do perfectly well on regular T.V. and both those guys will get paid.

Having almost 2 PPV's a month is a overkill and diminishes the product of the PPV's. Throw a good 4-5 big PPV's a year and each one with a title defense or two (if the champion is able to compete twice a year) to make it worth watching and compelling at the least.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
They are following the WWE's bad PPV model. They put 16 PPV's a year and it killed them. Not because injuries but because it wasn't enough time to build.

Simply put, its hard to make a PPV mean something when 21 days later...its the same thing with dudes who weight +/- 15 pounds.

It is good for the fighters and I do think they should have a weekly show with live/fresh fights not UFC Unleashed from fights eons ago.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
They are following the WWE's bad PPV model. They put 16 PPV's a year and it killed them. Not because injuries but because it wasn't enough time to build.

Simply put, its hard to make a PPV mean something when 21 days later...its the same thing with dudes who weight +/- 15 pounds.

It is good for the fighters and I do think they should have a weekly show with live/fresh fights not UFC Unleashed from fights eons ago.
Very true, I remember the days when WWE just had 4 or maybe 5 big important PPV'S that meant something, built the wrestlers, the feuds, the story lines and anticipation for the matches. Summer Slam, Survivor Series, Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania were the major PPV's that everyone anticipated the most and made tons of money. Now you have like 12 PPV'S (which are unnecessary) almost every month in addition to the weekly Monday night raw and Smackdown events. Just feels played out. I agree that Zuffa is using this WWE model with PPV'S.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 AM

518 posts, read 406,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Dana is a douche, simple as that. His big mouth is ruining the UFC. 2012 has been a dreadful year for them. Overexposure and massive busts. UFC 151, lack luster Dos Santos/Valaquez, Allstair/Brock, and the eon of injuries to main events. More importantly, the move to Fox from Spike has not worked.

UFC PPV use to be a big deal, an event. Now its meaningless, maybe 2-3 good fights compared to 4-5 a few years ago. I stopped caring and I've trained MMA, its that bad.

UFC is about the jump the shark just like wrestling did ten years ago.
One of the best posts I've seen on this subject in a mighty long time.

Totally concur. I used to get geeked up for each UFC event even just a few years ago, but this year *has* been a complete bust. I haven't been able to put my finger on why I'm not quite as interested, but I suppose that UFC has become over-exposed.

UFC was great from 2007 until 2010 because it feasted off of the PRIDE fighters who were still attractive to the sport. The entire generation of mega-stars, the Liddells, Shogun Rua, Rampage, Wanderlei, and the home grown talent of Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz...they're all pretty much spent now. And the stars who are still competing, like Anderson Silva, Rashad Evans and George St. Pierre, are aging.

MMA right now reminds me of boxing in the late 1980s. The elite fighters have cleaned out the division and there's nobody left to contend with them. Maybe we just need to be patient, but if that's the case, UFC will have to limit their exposure a bit.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
while i agree the ufc has had a ton of watered down card, i cant even remotely agree with "jumped the shark" or even the idea it is weakening. the fox deal is just getting under way and while it has been signed as a 7 year deal, they are already talking longer terms. in other words its not going anywhere for some time.

as for stars like rashad gsp and anderson aging, i dont agree at all, i mean gsp is 31, he is all but in his prime, rashad is 33. anderrson is 37 so he is getting up there but his style could lend to a very long career.

then you have the new breed like jones, cain, jds, rory, bendo....... all guys 30 and under.

then the ufc is just starting to get their smaller guys going, i mean they just opened the smaller weight classes up recently, and the lighter guys, much like boxing, are a lot more fun to watch. sure everyone wants to see the big guys bang but its the little guys where the action is.

i mean whos not excited to see dodson vs mighty mouse?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:04 PM

42 posts, read 214,642 times
I especially didn't expect to be a women's fight the same night the men are fighting. I never see this on boxing ppvs. It takes away a male fight every time it's replaced by a female, maybe this means that Dana White will get rid of some UFC male fighters who aren't performing so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)