Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:50 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times

Advertisements

So apparently the IOC doesn't think wrestling is worthy of being an Olympic sport? It's the oldest of sport, and very much more Olympic then some of the garbage sports they are allowing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:41 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympic...201325406.html

I just shook my head when I saw this.

Now I guess I can understand that golf is in the Olympics now. Mostly because it is an extremely popular "sport". But to dump wrestling?! I know in America wrestling (not rassling, wwe style) is not held in that high of regard. But from my understanding is that there are a lot of countries that love wrestling. Again I just shake my head at the decision. Maybe I'm just biased because I did wrestled when I was young. I don't know. But I just doesn't seem right. And what is worse is, from what I read so far, is that trying to get wrestling back into the olympics is going to be a very tough road. It a shame.

Oh well I guess I can look forward to watching the broadcast of Judo at 3am in 2016.

Last edited by baystater; 02-12-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM

well the panel was made up of almost all people of the "less then sporty" sports IE rhythmic gymnastics and badminton.

wrestling has been growing quickly in the us, especially with the popularity of mma. when i was in school, wrestling was not offered in ANY schools in texas with the exception of those closer to the OK border. now it is offered in every high school around, and there are a ton of wrestling clubs. just about every mma gym has wrestling class, separate from mma as well.

ultimately i dont think there is an appeals process so its out and done. there are a lot of petitions on line but those things dont mater. its funny because a lot of people were trying to push to get BJJ into the olympics, what makes them thing that would ever happen after this.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:04 PM

596 posts, read 982,257 times
This will give more ammunition to the retards who boo whenever an mma fight goes to the ground. However there is the possibility that it could help mma in the long run, because more elite-level wrestlers might turn to mma as a career choice since the Olympics would not be an option.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:17 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Default more fallout.

Wrestling president quits after Olympic omission - Yahoo! News

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...quits/1924475/

Olympians respond to IOC decision | Watch the video - Yahoo! News

Well at least I was mistaken about wrestling being out in 2016 and it sounds like there still a chance for the olympic committee to decide to keep wrestling as a "core" sport. It's still not looking good but.....we will see.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
So apparently the IOC doesn't think wrestling is worthy of being an Olympic sport? It's the oldest of sport, and very much more Olympic then some of the garbage sports they are allowing!
Next to Boxing, the only other reason for me to watch the Olympics was wrestling. I can probably say without a doubt that Olympic Greats and legends like Dan Gable, Greg Gibson, Bruce Baumgartner, the Banachs and others I idolized during my high school wrestling days are dismayed by this.

The Olympics are the ultimate destination fo scores of young wrstlers around the world. Why take that away?

Last edited by Gil3; 02-22-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 05:34 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,684 times
US wrestling officials celebrate Olympic survival, vow to keep sport evolving - The Washington Post

"After seven months fighting to preserve its Olympic status, wrestling was reinstated for the 2020 Tokyo Games."

It's Back!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 PM

79 posts, read 387,770 times
when a wrestler takes a guy to the ground, what next? in boxing they get hit in the face and the body, in kickboxing and muay thai they get hit everywhere, in brazilian jiu jitsu they get submitted and choked, in wrestling they get pinned, nobody wants to see wrestling anymore, it's a boring sport, they guys can't take a punch so they crawl on the floor like girls, nobody wants to see male on top of male in positions that resemble sex positions unless the viewer is a girl and is into that or unless it's a guy who is into that

Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusnred View Post
when a wrestler takes a guy to the ground, what next? in boxing they get hit in the face and the body, in kickboxing and muay thai they get hit everywhere, in brazilian jiu jitsu they get submitted and choked, in wrestling they get pinned, nobody wants to see wrestling anymore, it's a boring sport, they guys can't take a punch so they crawl on the floor like girls, nobody wants to see male on top of male in positions that resemble sex positions unless the viewer is a girl and is into that or unless it's a guy who is into that
Do you trolls never end?

You know nothing about wrestling, or fighting in general.

And you CLEARLY know nothing about Olympic sports.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 PM

79 posts, read 387,770 times
boxing is a sport that makes careers and money, you can't say that about wrestilng, sorry but mma is not wrestling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)