U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:32 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,670,663 times

Advertisements

I'm going to ask some semi-specific questions....but...don't feel that this thread is only limited to just answering the question I'm asking. I would enjoy any and all comments on/about Judo.

So let me open with some questions.

1. What do you think about Judo as a sport?

2. What do you think about Judo being used as a self-defense art?

3. What to you make of the new Judo rule about not being able to grab at the legs in any way shape or form? Do you think the moves involving touching the legs should still be taught?

4. When? Or do you think students of Judo should be taught strikes (ex. judo chop)?

Just to make a short comment about my own experience. I've only been doing Judo for about six months and have very much enjoyed the training. I feel it augments my wrestling knowledge (4 years high school) and adds a complementary skill set to my BJJ (15 years in and counting). Thus so far I've had a lot of fun training and learning, and believe it or not even though I been thrown a bit......I have not sustained any real injury. Granted I must state that most of the guys there are not trying to fully follow through the throws and land on top of me. So basically the training has been great. I think my only disappointment in general has been about the new rules about not being able to do throws touching the legs. I not saying that I looking to do double leg take downs (already know that ad nauseam). But I looked at some older Judo books that have some pretty cool throws that involve touching/grabbing the legs. And I think I might find them useful especially if I decided to do a BJJ tournaments at some time. But as in most things in life, I learn to deal with it. Hopefully my instructor will still show the older throws every now and again to augment what we are already learning.

Anyways looking forward to all you comments and thanks ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 11:32 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
i love judo. as a sport it is very dynamic and exciting. the rules though have gone completely do crap! the whole no hands below the belt, the shorter time for hold downs, they have made the criteria harder to throw for ippon, its just silly.

as for self defense, just is great! you can throw a punch all you want, kicks are sloppy if not thrown correctly, but a nice morote seoi nage on concrete will end a fight quicker than most.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,608 times
I know one thing: Judo is a sport for bad-asses. It's a rough sport. The whole "gentle" or "soft" art thing is a misnomer. I can't physically do judo because of a back injury. I am physically able to do TKD or karate (not hard contact) but judo is out of the question. One of the most intense martial arts out there. Throws are hard core. Lots of time on the mat goin for locks and chokes. I'd imagine it's great for MMA.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 PM

12 posts, read 11,962 times
it's underrated. it's well rounded enough for the avg person to use safely where muay thai, krav maga, and other fightfightfight****ingfight styles would be overdoing it. (i.e. your drunk idiot friend being an idiot who just needs to sit down.)
if you're looking for mma applications karo parisyan is the guy you want to start with.
cheers

Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 PM
JL

7,352 posts, read 11,885,191 times
I follow this guy on youtube due to having an interest for teaching English in Korea. This guy left his IT job in the states to teach English in Korea...what i didn't know was that he practiced Judo for over 10 yrs in the U.S...so it was expected that he continued Judo in Korea...he is half Korean and Irish(?). His Judo videos are very good. He also shows how the kids in Korea start Judo very young...interesting stuff...really nice guy. He is like 6'3". I gotta say watching this, it is a tough sport....getting thrown time and time again...rough stuff for sure. I enjoyed his vids....too bad i'm too old now to take up Judo.

He is the tall guy here

Judo in Korea: Osoto Gari to Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi Combination - YouTube

The guy he is studying under....those sounds of getting thrown...lol

Uchi Mata by 7th Dan Korean Master (

injuries he sustained...

Korean kids practicing..

Last edited by JL; 03-24-2014 at 08:38 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 PM

6,222 posts, read 6,372,678 times
It is a good sport, but yeh, the gripping rules dont do it any good. Also, there used to be more time allowed for groundwork like even in the 80s, but that has also changed.

But, well, you always have Sambo and combat sambo.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:00 AM

812 posts, read 707,006 times
I think it is a very good but underrated sport. I am surprised it is not used more in Pro MMA bouts. It is a fine art of balance,timing and skill.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
I think it is a very good but underrated sport. I am surprised it is not used more in Pro MMA bouts. It is a fine art of balance,timing and skill.
i agree, and i would say most of the reason it is not used so much is because BJJ/gracies have blasted judo as nothing but a sport and not a self defense art, all the while allowing bjj to become a sport with techniques worthless in a self defense aspect. people were sold on jiu jitsu by the gracies for years and people like ronda are breaking that stereotype.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:32 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,939,217 times
I think it is one of the arts I would teach my child for true self-defense. That's how much I believe in it.

I grew up wrestling and had a friend show me some Judo throws, my mind opened up... wow body weight as a weapon... it will knock you out flat on the matt.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:35 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,939,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i agree, and i would say most of the reason it is not used so much is because BJJ/gracies have blasted judo as nothing but a sport and not a self defense art, all the while allowing bjj to become a sport with techniques worthless in a self defense aspect. people were sold on jiu jitsu by the gracies for years and people like ronda are breaking that stereotype.

Karo showed that Judo is devastating in the octagon, I loved watching him throw people around.

-However he also showed that....

Good Wrestling will nullify Judo, as it nullifies most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)