U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:43 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,201,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
What I said is more true than what you're implying here. They are fighting stand-up way more than expected when you're admitting that they're base is Wrestling. They are all training hard to tune their standup game, to keep fights standing more, to make Dana happy.

Greece and Rome doesn't have some foothold claim on the origins of grappling. Plenty of homos grappling in Asia or wherever before the term was coined.
Your 1st paragraph is ridiculous, they train stand up to become a well rounded fighter, same reason they train submissions, same reason standup fighters train wrestling and Bjj. They don't train striking techniques to make uncle Dana happy, that's the most ridiculous statement yet. Next you'll be telling us Ronda is training striking because Dana thinks it will be more exciting for her to stand and bang for 5 rounds rather than finishing fights in under 5 minutes.

As to your 2nd paragraph, maybe you should pick up ahi story book. Historically the Greeks and Romans were the forbearers of modern hand to hand combat.
The "some homos" comment was cute though.

Isn't it about time you took your uninformed self on for another year or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 10:25 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,942,765 times
Quote:
Thanks genius, this further proves my point as most of these fighters, despite their extensive Wrestling background, have been working extra hard to keep it standing as much as possible to make Dana White happy.
This makes absolutely no sense.

They work on standing because it is MMA and everything starts standing up. Their base is still wrestling and the ruleset in the UFC does lend itself better to Wrestlers.

Quote:
This is stupid. It wasn't The UFC who wanted such rules, it was the state athletic commissions. The UFC conceded in order to not be banned in many viable States and go bankrupt. There wouldn't be any UFC today if they didn't.
RIGHT

US State Athletic Commission which worked with the UFC to create the rules.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:26 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,942,765 times
Quote:
What I said is more true than what you're implying here. They are fighting stand-up way more than expected when you're admitting that they're base is Wrestling. They are all training hard to tune their standup game, to keep fights standing more, to make Dana happy.

Greece and Rome doesn't have some foothold claim on the origins of grappling. Plenty of homos grappling in Asia or wherever before the term was coined.

Seriously how old are you using "dumb" "stupid" and other rude terms? Or are you just trolling?

Old 07-19-2015, 12:36 PM

15 posts, read 15,655 times
There are some good Asian fighters in the UFC, and there have been historically. The issue is that most Asian fighters tend to excel in the lighter weight classes, which are not as popular. There's also a lot of smaller organizations in Asia where they're probably more comfortable fighting. Dong Hyun Kim and Chan Sung Jung are two very good fighters, although Jung (who is awesome) is currently serving his Korean military term.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:16 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,496,636 times
Maybe it's just not culturally prudent. I imagine that most MMA fighters end up severely debilitated by the end of their careers. It's just not healthy for people to get their joints bent outside their natural range of motion, nor is it healthy for them to sustain repeated blows to the head.

It's a pretty dumb profession in all honesty.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Maybe it's just not culturally prudent. I imagine that most MMA fighters end up severely debilitated by the end of their careers. It's just not healthy for people to get their joints bent outside their natural range of motion, nor is it healthy for them to sustain repeated blows to the head.

You clearly know absolutely ZERO about mma, martial arts, boxing, judo, Jiu Jitsu and so on.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
You clearly know absolutely ZERO about mma, martial arts, boxing, judo, Jiu Jitsu and so on.
I actually know a lot about boxing, not just the history, but about multiple styles, and what works against what, and when certain things should be used and when they shouldn't, but it's not exactly a brilliant sport.

In what way is a man punching another man in the head healthy? In what way is another man bending your joint out of place or snapping your arm healthy?

You don't think there is a high probability of becoming disabled?

You may be delusional.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:33 PM

15,554 posts, read 13,546,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post

Instead of imagining, how about pointing out some MMA fighters who did end up debilitated from MMA?

Last I looked, MMA did not break the top ten of dangerous professions...

Clear you have no actual experience in this, probably just half knowledge, which is dangerous knowledge.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Instead of imagining, how about pointing out some MMA fighters who did end up debilitated from MMA?

Last I looked, MMA did not break the top ten of dangerous professions...

Clear you have no actual experience in this, probably just half knowledge, which is dangerous knowledge.
No, you're dangerous.

It's blatantly obvious that MMA is a dangerous sport. Apparently, you don't think that's the case. That makes you dangerous because you're either being disingenuous or you're lying to yourself.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:58 PM

Lmao I love these boxing guys that still insist on coming over to bash mma.

I can count on one hand how many deaths have come due to mma. How many boxers die?

Ask guys like don frye, or Dan Severn, Royce Gracie. There is a laundry list of mms guys in great health after training and competing in Bjj/mma for decades.
Now go look at guys like James toney, hell you can't even understand a word he says.

The only mma fighter I can think of off hand with severe issues is mark Kerr, and his issues are due to his severe drug addiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or