U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,492,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Lmao I love these boxing guys that still insist on coming over to bash mma.

I can count on one hand how many deaths have come due to mma. How many boxers die?

Ask guys like don frye, or Dan Severn, Royce Gracie. There is a laundry list of mms guys in great health after training and competing in Bjj/mma for decades.
Now go look at guys like James toney, hell you can't even understand a word he says.

The only mma fighter I can think of off hand with severe issues is mark Kerr, and his issues are due to his severe drug addiction.
Honestly, boxing is a stupid sport too. I find myself getting more and more disinterested as time goes on. I'm tired of seeing these guys take such serious shots. They're young, so they don't think it will catch up with them, and God willing it won't, but when it does, you realize that sometimes you just can't get things back.

I guess that's life though. It's a tragedy. But there are so many things that you can experience without subjecting your body to the chronic injuries that come with sports like boxing and MMA. I mean, sometimes your ligaments and tendons just don't heal.

There are some alternatives like prolotherapy, (which is not covered by insurance), and surgery (which could result in something worse than what you had prior to surgery), but there is no guarantee that any of those will work.

I'll teach my kid what I know about boxing and some of the other things I've learned in life about fitness and things of that nature, but my kid is going to play right field in baseball.

Forget all those other damn sports. You're not young forever.

James Toney was a master, but he's a guy that's just too gangster for his own good. That's what happens when you take gangster to another level. He always has to get the best of you, at any cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 07:34 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,492,445 times
But seriously, MMA is a stupid sport. I'm hesitant to even call it a sport. It's cage fighting, plain and simple.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:34 PM

1,947 posts, read 906,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Because they get signed by Asian fighting organizations. The UFC is not the only show despite what they want you to believe.
Yeah, think Pride FC and K1 in Japan. Huge following in Japan and Asia.
Fedor "the last emperor " Emelianenko , possibly the greatest MMA champion of all time, made his name in Japan. Check out some of the greatest MMA fights in Pride FC and K1 on youtube.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:12 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,568,898 times
Yep, Japan turned out some awesome fighters.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:04 PM

1,947 posts, read 906,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I would guess so. Much more marketable to the 'local' markets, and there is much less of an interview issue.
Also, hate to say this , but a face issue as well.

Not good to be seen getting beat by a non asian.

Brings shame and dent to the pride of asian males.

Asian guys are very proud

Old 05-13-2017, 09:00 AM

1,130 posts, read 552,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJohnny View Post
they make a lot of martial arts movies and practice the discipline of traditional martial arts, but if you look in the UFC you won't find many. Has there ever been a UFC fighter who is asian and was champion? Is the lack of asians because they practice traditional martial arts and not MMA?
I'm surprised at this question. When I first started watching MMA there was a great match often highlighted between Sakuraba of Japan and Rampage Jackson. It was a classic fight. At one point Jackson gave the most bizarre body slams. He picked up Sakuraba's body like it was a lever and kept slamming it to the floor. This was in PRIDE. But Sakuraba survived that onslaught and still won. Rampage also became instantly popular in PRIDE because of his aggression in that fight even though he lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_1Ra0n4Ttw

Dana White has referred to Bruce Lee as the grandfather of MMA. Lee was an unorthodox fighter in his time with the "style of no styles". It was early MMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHZEu7Y7DU

Since we're on the subject of ethnicities - Chuck is part Cherokee Indian. He has the typical reddish-brown hair of a mixed-blooded Cherokee common in Oklahoma.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:40 AM

2,386 posts, read 5,449,930 times
Asians are very active in MMA and always have been, especially the Japanese. Nowadays though, the Koreans and the Chinese have been growing immensely in MMA. If you watch more than the UFC, you'll know this.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:55 AM

282 posts, read 120,650 times
There was a heyday for Asian/Japanese fighters 10-15-20 years ago in Pride and other organizations. I think the popularity of the sport sort of waned over there, plus American and Russian wrestlers started taking over more, and the Brazilians did a better job of adjusting to the evolution of the sport than they did. Still, you've had many great Asian and half Asian fighters like Sakuraba, Penn, Machida, Aoki, etc. And you've still got some Asians in the UFC and other organizations like One Championship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or