U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:18 PM

596 posts, read 816,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I have to disagree, I've seen 12 year old girls put on more entertaining fights than the usual UFC bout today.

"Entertainment" isn't the #1 reason why I watch mma (I must be in the minority). I like to see superior technique on display, even if it's someone like Askren wrestle-****ing his opponent for 3 rounds. Imo that is more of a domination than if he ko's someone in the first 10 seconds of round 1. I also enjoy watching superior displays of BJJ, judo, striking, etc. YouTube videos of street fights where the combatants are winging sloppy punches at each other just don't do it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 07:36 PM

162 posts, read 151,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
wow last i heard this was the MMA forum, but it seems to have turned into the boxing board all of a sudden.
Boxing is a form of martial arts. At times there is crossover. A couple of posts regarding boxing in the context of MMA isn't going to hurt the integrity of the thread. It's not as if you've never gone to the boxing forum to tout MMA.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:41 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,481,280 times
I am not gonna lie i think MMA is more entertaining than Boxing on Average.

The thing is i don't like the short lived career that MMA goes through. An unknown fighter with only a few fights comes out of no where. Then when he fights a fight all of a sudden everyone jumps in the badnwanger. The mma fighter is a super star for a couple of years then all of a sudden he dissapears back again. They blow them up like dolls. I am not going to pay money just to see some guy that ive only known for less than a year.

With Boxing. You can see the progress they make throughout the years. In a sense you grow up with the boxer throughout the years and his legacy. Alot of times Boxers continue well into their 30s. Having careers that are 20+ years long. The grandfathers, the dads, and the sons know the boxer. They discuss about the boxer and his career, his future matchups, his personal life, etc. He becomes a household name.

I dont want to turn this into a MMA vs Boxing thread. So i am gonna leave it at that and don't make anymore comparisons. I only point out this because that is the main reason why i dont like the UFC. Oh and Dana White. That has to be the most annoying person in the UFC. Everything he wants to make about himself. Then again. Don King was like that too.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:17 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,202,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
Boxing is a form of martial arts. At times there is crossover. A couple of posts regarding boxing in the context of MMA isn't going to hurt the integrity of the thread. It's not as if you've never gone to the boxing forum to tout MMA.
ummmm the mma board is inundated with boxing apologists who constantly want to come here and bash mma and try to explain how boxing is better.

boxing IS a part of mma, BUT every conversation around these parts turns into some silly boxing vs mma.

and i have not gone to the boxing board bashing boxing or putting mma over boxing, never.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I am not gonna lie i think MMA is more entertaining than Boxing on Average.

The thing is i don't like the short lived career that MMA goes through. An unknown fighter with only a few fights comes out of no where. Then when he fights a fight all of a sudden everyone jumps in the badnwanger. The mma fighter is a super star for a couple of years then all of a sudden he dissapears back again. They blow them up like dolls. I am not going to pay money just to see some guy that ive only known for less than a year.

With Boxing. You can see the progress they make throughout the years. In a sense you grow up with the boxer throughout the years and his legacy. Alot of times Boxers continue well into their 30s. Having careers that are 20+ years long. The grandfathers, the dads, and the sons know the boxer. They discuss about the boxer and his career, his future matchups, his personal life, etc. He becomes a household name.

I dont want to turn this into a MMA vs Boxing thread. So i am gonna leave it at that and don't make anymore comparisons. I only point out this because that is the main reason why i dont like the UFC. Oh and Dana White. That has to be the most annoying person in the UFC. Everything he wants to make about himself. Then again. Don King was like that too.
what mma fighters are you talking about?

silva? gsp? hendo? vitor belfort? cain? bj penn?

what mma fighters came out of nowhere and then disappeared ??

Old 04-09-2014, 08:43 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,198 times
Quote:
Wrong, wrapping up for four minutes like two starfish is about as exciting as watching....well, two starfish. The skill of MMA, in case you don't know what the acronym stands for is "MIXED" martial arts. Not wrestling martial arts which would make it WMA.
Yeah, there are some dud fights when you get two fighters who are afraid of losing and wrap up for most of the round - to his credit DW tries to address that with the fighters after the fight. But how's this any different from two boxers who constantly clench? It's no more interesting to watch two blubbery guys who have no stamina grab, clench, and lean on each other in later rounds than it is to watch guys who, unlike boxers in the clench, really are expending a lot of energy going for side control or a full mount. We saw what happened when James Toney found himself on the mat with a grappler - there was no answer.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:27 PM

162 posts, read 151,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yeah, there are some dud fights when you get two fighters who are afraid of losing and wrap up for most of the round - to his credit DW tries to address that with the fighters after the fight. But how's this any different from two boxers who constantly clench? It's no more interesting to watch two blubbery guys who have no stamina grab, clench, and lean on each other in later rounds than it is to watch guys who, unlike boxers in the clench, really are expending a lot of energy going for side control or a full mount. We saw what happened when James Toney found himself on the mat with a grappler - there was no answer.
James Toney? A washed up out if shape boxer is your example of a boxer vs a grappler? Add Mercer and Mayorga to your list of 40 year old has beens who tried their hand at MMA. Meanwhile, the real talent in boxing is making way more money at the top of their respective sport. If there was more money to be made in MMA you would see more boxers in their prime crossing over and training for a ground game. No boxer in his iChat mind is going to enter the octagon and think he can stand up box without learning other disciplines. Te problem is it is very difficult to get a late start and this is why they are two distinct sports. Meanwhile, give me a well rounded fight with punches, kicks, counters, and some wrestling any day of the week as opposed to endless minutes locked together on the floor. You just just listen to the boos if you don't want to the my word for it. Same thing happens in boxing if two fighters want to dance around the ring and only throw 20 punches per round.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:46 PM

ahh yes there it is, the "boxers make more money" argument. the one thats been shown to be only partially true and not the norm.

how do you explain holly holm? why wou;d she leave boxing as a champion, making so much money to go fight for mick maynard for next to nothing?

i found this very interesting, and a prime example of why boxing wouldnt work in mma, even without taking a boxer down.
Ex-boxing champ Riddick Bowe punished in MMA debut - ESPN

Old 04-15-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
James Toney? A washed up out if shape boxer is your example of a boxer vs a grappler? Add Mercer and Mayorga to your list of 40 year old has beens who tried their hand at MMA. Meanwhile, the real talent in boxing is making way more money at the top of their respective sport. If there was more money to be made in MMA you would see more boxers in their prime crossing over and training for a ground game. No boxer in his iChat mind is going to enter the octagon and think he can stand up box without learning other disciplines. Te problem is it is very difficult to get a late start and this is why they are two distinct sports. Meanwhile, give me a well rounded fight with punches, kicks, counters, and some wrestling any day of the week as opposed to endless minutes locked together on the floor. You just just listen to the boos if you don't want to the my word for it. Same thing happens in boxing if two fighters want to dance around the ring and only throw 20 punches per round.
A washed up boxer against a washed up MMA guy - seems fair to me.

Boxers make money...ducking other boxers and padding their win totals. At least UFC fighters are forced to fight against each other -- for now. That could change, though, as more money infests UFC and MMA in general.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
ahh yes there it is, the "boxers make more money" argument. the one thats been shown to be only partially true and not the norm.

how do you explain holly holm? why wou;d she leave boxing as a champion, making so much money to go fight for mick maynard for next to nothing?

i found this very interesting, and a prime example of why boxing wouldnt work in mma, even without taking a boxer down.
Ex-boxing champ Riddick Bowe punished in MMA debut - ESPN
I think some boxers might have been good MMA fighters if they had learned other skills. If someone had taught Mike Tyson how to defend against take-downs and keep the fight standing...that I would have loved to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)