U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,199,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
Maybe if they can enforce rules and stop their superstars from cheating I could get back on board and get excited. I know too many rules already watered down the sport to begin with but eye poking?

Bas Rutten: Jon Jones Is a Dirty Fighter | Bleacher Report
im not sure about a rule change, i dont see how rules have watered down the sport. changing the gloves would help though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:38 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,104 times
I just wanted to bump the thread and mention that I was, for once, thoroughly entertained by a UFC event, even if it was only just the pre-fights on FX. Those were some good bouts on the undercard of UFC 174. Might actually make me wanna watch some of the upcoming events in the future. One of the few bright spots for UFC in the past few months. Came at a time when Dana White and Co. need some good news, given the recent debacle over Sonnen and Silva.

I'm sorta beginning to see a pattern here that leads me to a general conclusion about the UFC. I think UFC had done a great job of word-of-mouth marketing and building its hype machine. The way it marketed the product from the early 2000s onward was outstanding. But it was not ready for the prime time. It created massive expectations that were impossible to fulfill. Maybe it needs to kinda, sorta go underground again.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:31 PM

162 posts, read 151,927 times
Part of the problem is Dana White who is the Don King of MMA. As long as he can control all the talent in e sport it will never improve.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
Part of the problem is Dana White who is the Don King of MMA. As long as he can control all the talent in e sport it will never improve.
im not a dana fan myself, i recognize what he did to get the ball rolling the way he did but i think his time to leave is coming.
that said, he is actually a very personable and nice guy.

the ufc will always have the best talent as long as they can pay better than any other event. affliction had a chance but they over paid and lost their tail. had they eased in just a little more, then who knows but legacy, belator, wsof, kotc, all these other organizations just cant offer the money.

legacy is doing a great job, but they know their place, and are not trying to outgrow themselves, but they have grown tremendously from the days when they were "lone star beatdown" before becoming legacy fc. mick has really grown his league well, and is poised to make a bigger jump here pretty soon imo. his axs deal really helped. and my friend mike white from RES (his son micah is one of my kids friends, they compete against each other on the bjj circuit regularly) throwing money into legacy for bonuses and such really helped too.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:03 AM

just want to say the ufc just got a whole lot more fun for me.
my friend, and one of our team mates just signed a fight in the ufc.

welcome to the big show bubba bush!

Old 06-21-2014, 08:20 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,273,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I used to be a big fan of the UFC and lately I can barley stand to watch it. Here's 5 reasons why I'm loosing interests in the sport.

1.) The invasion of the wrestlers and their take down and lay and pray/ wall and stall style fighting.

2, ) The lack of finishes. It may be just me but it seems like hardly anybody finishes their opponent anymore. GSP is a classic example of this before the guy used to destroy people now it's all about playing it safe. This of course leaves it up to the judges and their terrible decisions.

3.) The judges are terrible, they often reward points to the fighting style mentioned above often when the fighters do nothing more than that, lay n pray. In the few cases where there is good action they often reward the win to the wrong fighter, many cases it's not even close, I have no idea what they're looking at when the come up with their decision.

4.) The early stoppages. Too many times a fighter is down but still in the fight and the stop it. Last night was a good example of the main event and the co main event, both fighters were down but not out. I've seen many fights that were even worse calls than those.

5.) They phony drama/hype before every fight. It's gotten to be like WWE, that have to create some BS drama for every fight.

Am I alone?
I have to disagree:

1) While I am not a fan of boring fighters, this is a sport after all and the point is to win and not just put on a show. These are professional athletes who have their livelihoods depending on whether or not they win. An exciting loser will be cut before a boring winner. It's like complaining a basketball team with a winning record is boring because they prefer playing tight defense instead taking risks by trying to posses the ball or that the players go for layups instead of dramatic dunks or that they prefer sensible field goals instead of shooting 3 pointers several feet from the line.

2) At that level of the sport the fighters either have better defense and/or are naturally tougher (better pain tolerance, better chin, etc.) and are going to be harder to finish. Some fighters like GSP play it safe before the same reason as #1, their careers depend on winning. A brawl might be exciting as hell, but if a fighter gets knocked out and loses his championship not only does he lose out on possibly millions of dollars, but he also has everyone knocking him for being stupid and not fighting smart.

Or you could hope that the UFC could put on completely uncompetitive fights and have some guy with a 4-7 record on the regional circuit go up against someone like Phil Davis or Cub Swanson in hopes of seeing him with his arm twisted off or pounded to a bloody pulp, but that isn't really a sport.

3) The judges are hired by gaming commissions and the UFC has no input.

4) Same as #4, but replace judges with refs.

5) I somewhat agree, but this isn't unique to the UFC. It's common among all MMA promotions and in boxing as well. Muhammad Ali made as much of his career with his trash talking and hype as much as he did from his beautiful boxing (and he later admitted that he based much of his persona on pro-wrestlers).

Old 07-27-2014, 01:14 AM

8,548 posts, read 8,883,067 times
My biggest thing is that there is not a good ranking system and order to title fights.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:05 AM

60 posts, read 62,317 times
i'm not a fan of ufc i watched a fair few fights and only seen half a dozen worth while,the best one i saw was the second jon fitch versus GSP that was awesome,but it is just wrestling now or one hit knockouts .....imho if it changed its rules or even if there was a another class of fight where it used boxing two fisted fighting and perhaps allowed elbows and knee's with the same round time and glove weight that would be much better and closer to the old school of bare knuckle fighting of yester year because again imho wrestling is for girls and its boring boring and thrice boring.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider32 View Post
i'm not a fan of ufc i watched a fair few fights and only seen half a dozen worth while,the best one i saw was the second jon fitch versus GSP that was awesome,but it is just wrestling now or one hit knockouts .....imho if it changed its rules or even if there was a another class of fight where it used boxing two fisted fighting and perhaps allowed elbows and knee's with the same round time and glove weight that would be much better and closer to the old school of bare knuckle fighting of yester year because again imho wrestling is for girls and its boring boring and thrice boring.
then you clearly didnt watch the ufc this weekend, or last week in ireland.

if you want boxing with elbows and knees and such go check out lion fights. or some K-1.
mma is clearly not for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)