Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,781,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSoul View Post
also fighters are getting title shots too fast, like Jake Shields, Dana White was talking about Fedor vs Lesnar, what is this? The WWE? that's what it looks like
Part of the problem is the talent pool. Most of the guys I remember like your Liddells, St. Pierres, Ortizes, Silvas, Lesnars, Coutures, Jacksons, Evans and Arlovskis are not there any more and replaced by guys smaller on the totem pole (for now) like Robbie Lawler who was a mid-level guy for some years before jumping into the main for tonight's card after GSP retired.

The only UFC fighter to really watch now is Rousey. Compare this to 4 years ago when you could see 4 events in consecutive months with compelling main events. I hope I am wrong in the long-term because I like watching UFC events.

Edit: I am a WWE fan and UFC is MUCH more of a legit build up one you only see for Undertaker matches or Lesnar matches rather than stupid "Oh you screwed me, I want you" or "You stole my girlfriend so I'm calling you out" stuff you see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 05:00 PM

390 posts, read 503,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Yeah is is pro at not getting hit or hitting anybody. Makes for a great fight. The biggest fight dodger in modern boxing.
You're crazy if you think this. Sometimes Mayweather just plays around doing defense only just for fun....not running, but staying right there in the pocket, dodging. You just don't know enough to see the mastery of his counterfighting, which is what he is, almost a pure counterfighter. Counterfighters takes a lot of potshots, they don't stay an brawl.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:07 PM

390 posts, read 503,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The only UFC fighter to really watch now is Rousey. Compare this to 4 years ago when you could see 4 events in consecutive months with compelling main events. I hope I am wrong in the long-term because I like watching UFC events.
WMMA is garbage. The only thing exciting about Rousey was the feud with Tate from TUF and maybe about 2 chicks with hot bodies and so-so faces rolling around half naked. Rousey's Judo is great, but who cares really. She flung around Tate, a high school wrestler, so no big whoop there. Both had crappy, slow-ass standup striking. Now that the feud with Tate is over (in a televised sense), who cares about Rousey. She's a weird psycho B and so is her team of weirdos.

When Carano fought Cyborg, now that was exciting and especially so in the display of standup striking. Otherwise, WMMA is just blaah.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:56 PM

438 posts, read 1,528,341 times
** Spoiler Alert **

Okay, so I watched Hendricks vs. Lawler and once again a perfect example of how the UFC disappoints. First off it was yet another decision despite having two heavy handed fighters throwing punches nearly the whole fight. The action was decent but no finish, tko, or ko.

Lawler clearly dominated the fight landing the overwhelming majority of blows and with 1 minute to go in the fight Hendricks hits him with a few good shots. At this point I'm thinking he's going for the ko/tko since he's way behind on the cards but no what does he do?

A TAKEDOWN, with lay and pray for the last minute of the fight leaving it completely anti climatic. Okay so I'm thinking of course the judges aren't going to give Hedricks the fight just for the few punches and the takedown at the end are they?

Not only do they give him the decision but a UNANIMOUS one! God this crap is getting old, I can only hope the league goes over a major overhaul to bring people like me back to the sport.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:00 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,037,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
** Spoiler Alert **

Okay, so I watched Hendricks vs. Lawler and once again a perfect example of how the UFC disappoints. First off it was yet another decision despite having two heavy handed fighters throwing punches nearly the whole fight. The action was decent but no finish, tko, or ko.

Lawler clearly dominated the fight landing the overwhelming majority of blows and with 1 minute to go in the fight Hendricks hits him with a few good shots. At this point I'm thinking he's going for the ko/tko since he's way behind on the cards but no what does he do?

A TAKEDOWN, with lay and pray for the last minute of the fight leaving it completely anti climatic. Okay so I'm thinking of course the judges aren't going to give Hedricks the fight just for the few punches and the takedown at the end are they?

Not only do they give him the decision but a UNANIMOUS one! God this crap is getting old, I can only hope the league goes over a major overhaul to bring people like me back to the sport.
judges got the hendricks fight right.

johny landed more significant strikes, he landed more total strikes, he was only slightly less accurate, and he landed the only 2 takedowns of the fight.

FightMetric - MMA Statistics : SQL/XML Data Feeds

thats a clear win for hendricks

Old 03-17-2014, 08:53 AM

438 posts, read 1,528,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
judges got the hendricks fight right.

johny landed more significant strikes, he landed more total strikes, he was only slightly less accurate, and he landed the only 2 takedowns of the fight.

FightMetric - MMA Statistics : SQL/XML Data Feeds

thats a clear win for hendricks

He may have landed more strikes but Lawler's strikes were much more significant because they did a lot more damage.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:42 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,037,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
He may have landed more strikes but Lawler's strikes were much more significant because they did a lot more damage.
According to fightmetric and fight matrix Hendricks landed more sig strikes.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:21 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,314,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
It kinda sucks that there's a #1 contender fight this weekend (for LHW) that can only be seen on Fight Pass (at least here in the USA). I don't care if they want to put lower-tier fights and ppv reruns on Fight Pass. It almost seems like the UFC is daring even more fans to watch illegal streams.
I've stopped watching UFC. I'm sure Dana White and Fertitta don't give a f*ck but I've just stopped caring when one of these main events comes out, which sucks to say, but these events are not worth $50-55 per pop. They're not worth calling up my cable/sat provider to order premium for Fuel or whatever other sh*t they've got. They actually show relatively good cards on Fox from time to time so that feeds the occasional hunger, but to be honest, the longer it goes, the more I lose track of the guys who I really got into when I'd gladly walk 30 min. in the rain to watch at the local sportsbar in Oregon (I drink like a fish sometimes but I don't drink and drive)...the less I feel like I'm missing something. I hope they cancel these dumb contracts with Fox and get back to basics.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:25 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,314,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
WMMA is garbage. The only thing exciting about Rousey was the feud with Tate from TUF and maybe about 2 chicks with hot bodies and so-so faces rolling around half naked. Rousey's Judo is great, but who cares really. She flung around Tate, a high school wrestler, so no big whoop there. Both had crappy, slow-ass standup striking. Now that the feud with Tate is over (in a televised sense), who cares about Rousey. She's a weird psycho B and so is her team of weirdos.

When Carano fought Cyborg, now that was exciting and especially so in the display of standup striking. Otherwise, WMMA is just blaah.
I basically agree. WMMA isn't so great, but I still like Rousey though. The women's sport is benefiting from a dominant force like her. About 7-10 years ago they had this thing called SmackGirl (Japan) which was pretty good, actually. Some really talented martial artists that came out of that organization and less dependent on wrestling. Had some good stand-up fighters. Hisae Watanabe was a little stick of dynamite. Great body too, I gotta say.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 PM

37 posts, read 61,365 times
These are valid issues. The biggest issue I ever had with the UFC was wenn they stopped the tournament style and implemented weight classes and 3 rounds. I was so devastated that I stopped watching for years. I was a big fan of the movie Bloodsport back in the days. I got all excited to see how fighters would handle different fighting styles and different sized fighters. I get upset at little things about the UFC, like the price of Pay Per View events, but not as upset as I was back when Dana took over the organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)