Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:24 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think some boxers might have been good MMA fighters if they had learned other skills. If someone had taught Mike Tyson how to defend against take-downs and keep the fight standing...that I would have loved to see.
absolutely! a mayweather/pacman with 5 yrs of wrestling/judo/bjj under his belt would be a nasty thing in a cage. oh wait, if they did that, they would not be boxers anymore, they would be MIXED MARTIAL ARTISTS!

i dont think many of the bigger guys in boxing would be very good in mma, but the smaller guys would have a much better chance to cross over. tyson would have had to drop to 205 i think. i dont see a 220 lb tyson would be mauled by the bigger guys who can take a punch. cain would decimate tyson. guys like mir, or even big country. any guy who can take a punch and clinch would have beaten a tyson with some takedown defense. its one thing to learn how to sprawl and brawl, its another to learn how to defend a takedown against the cage in a clinch. sure he has that 1 punch KO power, but he would need to have an opponent standing in front of him to land that shot more often than not. in mma that doesnt happen, and when a guy who can land a leg kick on tysons short self isnt getting punched. get tyson moving backwards and his punching power is less. rush in with a clinch and its all but gone. put him against the cage (not like ropes in boxing, the cage doesnt afford movement) and that power is negated. put him on his back and its completely gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Brock was the best big man in UFC but that was because he is a freak. The guy has amazing speed for a guy his size and always has.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:46 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
I think some boxers might have been good MMA fighters if they had learned other skills. If someone had taught Mike Tyson how to defend against take-downs and keep the fight standing...that I would have loved to see.
"just 6 months of sprawl training" LOL

Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Brock was the best big man in UFC but that was because he is a freak. The guy has amazing speed for a guy his size and always has.
Brock was a freak but someone finally exposed his limitations. He had a solid career, but I'm not sure anyone could say that it was outstanding. His most impressive victory, IMO, was his re-match demolition of Frank Mir, but I'm not sure that Mir then was as good as he was before his near career-ending injury earlier in his career.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Brock was a freak but someone finally exposed his limitations. He had a solid career, but I'm not sure anyone could say that it was outstanding. His most impressive victory, IMO, was his re-match demolition of Frank Mir, but I'm not sure that Mir then was as good as he was before his near career-ending injury earlier in his career.
Mir was the best big man in mma before he wrecked his motorcycle.
Brock was showing that size mixed with athleticism and minimal training can beat a well trained fighter. What happened is, he ran into big men who had size, athleticism, and much better training.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:53 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Mir was the best big man in mma before he wrecked his motorcycle.
Brock was showing that size mixed with athleticism and minimal training can beat a well trained fighter. What happened is, he ran into big men who had size, athleticism, and much better training.
Early Mir was amazing, a true arm collector.

I am really surprised he even came back and did so well after that accident, he was thrown 80ft and almost lost his leg.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:14 PM

162 posts, read 177,364 times
Brock's mistake was abandoning his wrestling game so he could stand and slug it out. Cain exposed his lack of defensive skills on his feet while trying to box his way to victory.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Early Mir was amazing, a true arm collector.

I am really surprised he even came back and did so well after that accident, he was thrown 80ft and almost lost his leg.
i find it funny that people thought THIS GUY was the best mma had to offer.

Tim Sylvia blind date - YouTube

Old 05-08-2014, 10:58 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Used to like MMA ~8 years ago when it seemed sorta taboo/underground and I thought it oozed toughness...i.e "real fighting" vs fake boxing. Then as I got older it got completely boring to me. I haven't watched a fight or even highlights of a fight in many years.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:24 PM

162 posts, read 177,364 times
Maybe if they can enforce rules and stop their superstars from cheating I could get back on board and get excited. I know too many rules already watered down the sport to begin with but eye poking?

Bas Rutten: Jon Jones Is a Dirty Fighter | Bleacher Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)