U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 PM

440 posts, read 1,324,316 times

Advertisements

I used to be a big fan of the UFC and lately I can barley stand to watch it. Here's 5 reasons why I'm loosing interests in the sport.

1.) The invasion of the wrestlers and their take down and lay and pray/ wall and stall style fighting.

2, ) The lack of finishes. It may be just me but it seems like hardly anybody finishes their opponent anymore. GSP is a classic example of this before the guy used to destroy people now it's all about playing it safe. This of course leaves it up to the judges and their terrible decisions.

3.) The judges are terrible, they often reward points to the fighting style mentioned above often when the fighters do nothing more than that, lay n pray. In the few cases where there is good action they often reward the win to the wrong fighter, many cases it's not even close, I have no idea what they're looking at when the come up with their decision.

4.) The early stoppages. Too many times a fighter is down but still in the fight and the stop it. Last night was a good example of the main event and the co main event, both fighters were down but not out. I've seen many fights that were even worse calls than those.

5.) They phony drama/hype before every fight. It's gotten to be like WWE, that have to create some BS drama for every fight.

Am I alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:31 AM

97 posts, read 80,081 times
Good points and I think you know why there is such an edge given to Wrestlers: Wrestling is huge in the USA and MMA is still mostly just a domestic sport. So more wrestling = more viewers

I think MMA went "softer" because it was becoming difficult to have big name guys remain at the top. Hardcore fans will tune in regardless but guys like me only pay once a year for their biggest PPV ticket. Less knockouts + More judge decisions = Retaining Champion or Favorite is more likely to win.

NFL is doing the same thing. Sacrificing excitement (and quality) in favor of consistency and star players playing in the end of the season games.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:38 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,942,765 times
#1 - There have always been wrestlers in MMA, the problem is that the rules were changed in the UFC to advantage wrestlers. Allow soccer kicks (like Pride) and you will see wrestlers thinking twice about shooting in because they will get a Shogun style kick to the face.

#2-5 I totally agree with, again the rules have been changed to make decisions more possible, there are no Yellow Cards (again like Pride) to penalize a staler.

The UFC has definitely taken the WWF style of promotion using drama to build anticipation, and I agree it does get very boring. Also in the end it doesn't even live up to the hype.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:41 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,942,765 times

Short Tribute to Soccer Kicks - YouTube

Old 02-24-2014, 02:14 PM

596 posts, read 816,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I used to be a big fan of the UFC and lately I can barley stand to watch it. Here's 5 reasons why I'm loosing interests in the sport.

1.) The invasion of the wrestlers and their take down and lay and pray/ wall and stall style fighting.

2, ) The lack of finishes. It may be just me but it seems like hardly anybody finishes their opponent anymore. GSP is a classic example of this before the guy used to destroy people now it's all about playing it safe. This of course leaves it up to the judges and their terrible decisions.

3.) The judges are terrible, they often reward points to the fighting style mentioned above often when the fighters do nothing more than that, lay n pray. In the few cases where there is good action they often reward the win to the wrong fighter, many cases it's not even close, I have no idea what they're looking at when the come up with their decision.

4.) The early stoppages. Too many times a fighter is down but still in the fight and the stop it. Last night was a good example of the main event and the co main event, both fighters were down but not out. I've seen many fights that were even worse calls than those.

5.) They phony drama/hype before every fight. It's gotten to be like WWE, that have to create some BS drama for every fight.

Am I alone?

6.) Dana White trashing the fighters and making himself out to be the biggest star.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:44 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,357,446 times
Before long someone will post about how intricate wrestling is and that it is every bit as exciting as the upright fighting. Someone in particular, that is.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:46 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,997,313 times
My main gripe is that the cards are way worse than they used to be; they don't really seem to be getting deeper talent wise and people keep pulling out of fights.

Also, a lot of mid and lower level guys really can't punch at all.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:17 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
My main gripe is that the cards are way worse than they used to be; they don't really seem to be getting deeper talent wise and people keep pulling out of fights.

Also, a lot of mid and lower level guys really can't punch at all.
This is *the* issue. At first, I thought the expansion of UFC would be a good thing, but all of the cards are watered down now. They need to come down on the price of the PPV events or otherwise it's not worth my time to watch. I used to walk 25 minutes to the nearest sports bar and pay their $5 covers because the fight cards were usually great (80 percent of the time). Now? Pffff...no way. The last fight card I wanted to see was Weidman/Jones and I didn't really feel down that I missed it, either. I saw the first fight and figured it would be the same result, which it was. I've got nothing against Ronda Rousey - she's good for MMA. But if she's the only thing on the card, that's not gonna get me out of the house or dialing up the local cable company. I also miss UFC on Spike. That was the perfect set-up. A great network and there was always sh*t you could watch after UFC was done. I don't even get Fuel or FX.

I'm honestly gonna start looking more at Bellator. Their fights are online. Gotta wait a few days, but Spike's doing with them what they did with UFC. They're promoting it very well. Funny, 'cause everyone - myself included - thought SPike was f*cked once the UFC left. Maybe not.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:29 PM

440 posts, read 1,324,316 times
Another thing I forgot to mention, The Ultimate Fighter show is getting soooooo old. It's the same crap every season, a whole bunch stupid drama by mostly mediocre fighters.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:40 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,201,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention, The Ultimate Fighter show is getting soooooo old. It's the same crap every season, a whole bunch stupid drama by mostly mediocre fighters.
ive not liked that show for a while BUT i do like he concept of the next one. the all womens tournament. winner gets the belt!

that should be interesting. a lot less "teaming up/game playing??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)