U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many people know how to fight
Less than 1% 10 35.71%
5% 10 35.71%
10% 5 17.86%
20% 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:21 AM

2,735 posts, read 1,862,970 times

Advertisements

Not usually a necessary skill, as security and bouncers at most venues would make mince meat of anyone initiating a fight.
In any event it is about striking etc and getting away quickly, not a drawn out contest like MMA.
Most people would be able to do this if they had to, but maybe not always effectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 09:52 PM

867 posts, read 724,964 times
Gosh, I'm going to sound like such a degenerate but I'm just a passive middle class guy. However, when I was a kid I remember my friend telling me, "the guys who win fights are the guys going in there with the mentality of not fighting but killing the guy. They usually win..." the funny part he followed this immediately with, "that's unless you go to prison where everyone is trying to kill everyone else then it doesn't work." I always find this funny for some reason.

Now, in his defense he is did end up graduating from medical school and is now a general surgeon.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 AM

3,847 posts, read 3,966,962 times
My 2 cents:

Most fights are in public where they are likely to be broken up before they get really serious or life threatening. In this environment the "best" fighters are the ones who: a) don't give a damn what happens; b) are the angriest; c) want to prove something.

Half the battle is mental, verbal, intimidation.

I'm dismissing that this is in a MMA forum, I don't think the OP was limiting to that.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:40 PM

6,185 posts, read 6,355,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Not usually a necessary skill, as security and bouncers at most venues would make mince meat of anyone initiating a fight.
In any event it is about striking etc and getting away quickly, not a drawn out contest like MMA.
Most people would be able to do this if they had to, but maybe not always effectively.
Renzo Gracie, cousin Igor arrested, charged with gang assault after nightclub incident | FOX Sports

Have you heard about this incident?

But I agree. I have known some bouncers and security guards who lots of knowledge and experience in street hand to hand. Some just either have training, or just lots of fights. My older cousin grew up on Long Island during the 70's, and apparently had to hold his own daily as he told me. Then he moved to Lower Manhattan in the 80s as a teenager. Evidently that was not much better. He became a bouncer in the early 90s in Manhattan. This was when things were still gritty, and not so nice.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:34 AM

73 posts, read 90,935 times
This is a tough one. When you say can a person "fight" it's kind of relative. From my experiences, the majority of guys that you could consider those that would even entertain the idea of fighting (We're talking adults not teens or early 20's frat guys...at that point its still mostly fun and games) would fall into one of the categories below.

1st group would be ex Marines or soldiers (now a days pretty decent martial arts program compared to the past) they know some basic h2h combat.They know some basic holds, chokes, how to actually deliver a decent punch or kick - def more than a citizen, but less than the more specialized servicemen like the SEALS, Recon Marines, Rangers, Green Berets etc, who get more detailed and get paid to train in martial arts for months at a time straight.

2nd group you have the so called Street fighters which more often than not is a guy who may be naturally quick and/or strong or just plain big and who was successful at beating people up from a young age and carried that over as a teen and sometimes even adulthood. The street fighter might not really be a skilled guy, but is willing to hurt you and is willing to strike without warning and basically won't be "fair" when they fight you. Think tweeked out biker, the gangsta thug, the skinhead and so forth. These are the guys who will hit you when you are not looking, or jump you from behind and often with the help of friends around. These can be the most dangerous because they might not know when enough is enough when they get the upper hand. Most of these guys are not in shape and won't usually last long (certain drugs can change that though) and are most likely found at seedy bars/clubs or other places around town you probably shouldn't be anyways..they're aggressive and will take the initiative in a physical confrontation.

3rd and maybe most common group who might even entertain the thought of taking a problem outside as an adult, would be your meat head or ex athletes. These guys probably won fights in high school or at college frat parties simply because they are/were strong and fairly athletic, but don't really know correct technique. To be honest that is all it normally takes when you see two guys square off in a bar or ball game or whatever..once the first 30 seconds to a minute is over, your average non trained person will be gasping for air with hands on knees.

But any of the above, almost always lose (in normal circumstances) to a decently trained "fighter" I don't mean a hobbyist or some guy with some BS karate as a kid.. but someone who has dedicated some amount of time to learning how to really fight . If not actually fought and competed, has at least sparred a lot and as such knows how to move with a live opponent, how to breath, how to pace etc.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:50 PM

5,322 posts, read 1,994,130 times
"Knowing how to fight" is a relative qualification based on who you are fighting and the observer who is judging you. Most untrained people can't tell who knows how to fight in an MMA match, for instance, until the match is over. They can't dissect the small moves that tell trained individuals who knows what they are doing. The same with boxing, martial arts, and (especially) wrestling.

If two untrained people get into a fight and one knocks out the other, does the winner necessarily know how to fight? The casual observer might say so. Does Floyd Mayweather know how to fight? Now put him in an octagon with Jon Jones. Does he still know how to fight?

When people casually wonder if others know how to fight, they are generally thinking of an average street fight against a random stranger. In that situation, I would consider anyone trained in boxing, wrestling, or MMA to have knowledge of fighting past throwing lucky shots. Most (not all) martial arts, alone, are BS compared to those three imo.

If a boxer and a wrestler went head to head? I'd put my money on the wrestler assuming he doesn't get knocked out within the first few punches. MMA is mixed bag of skills and so it depends on the fighter. So, the percentage of people that know how to fight are relegated to the percentage of people trained in those disciplines, in my opinion.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:02 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,040,185 times
What about people that fight well with their brain by recognizing potentially physical situations, don't surround themselves with people that have anger problems or simply carry the proper weapon to neutralize a potentially fatal situation (firearm)?

IMO, unless you live in a ghetto or something, the odds of ever needing to fight (outside of high school) is very, very small. Most of the adults I know that get in fights are the type that think fighting makes them tough/important/respected...so they go looking for it or never take opportunities to avoid a situation that could obviously escalate.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:38 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,024,246 times
Knowing how to fight....

A person that knows how to fight can win a confrontation against someone that is stronger, more athletic and more physically gifted. Assuming it's a clean fight with no dirty tactics, if two (untrained) people that haven't fought since elementary school get into a brawl, the better stronger/better athlete is far more likely to win. If you have two trained people in a clean fight, the technical skills of one fighter can easily overcome some athletic deficiency.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:39 PM

143 posts, read 95,961 times
That would depend on what you mean by "knowing how to fight." Just about everybody knows how to fight to some degree, from the time you're an infant you learn how to hit, bite, ect. As a small child your dad might teach you how to punch and as you're growing up you learn stuff as you rough and tumble with other children and when you're older you might learn fighting stuff from friends, ect. Now, as to what percentage has trained in some type of specialized fighting method such as boxing, wrestling, martial arts, ect. that would be a different matter and if this is what the OP meant than they should've specified it.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,723 times
Default True Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Before I got old, fat and decrepit, I would say I fit this description as well. Most of my training from age 7 was in true combat sports - wrestling (several styles), judo, and BJJ, with a bit of boxing and capoeira thrown in.

Agreed. I've run from plenty of fights.

Kind of what I said in an earlier post.
Problem is all the quoted combat sports have rules and train to compete against people with similar training; very athletic, very fit, extremely competent, but not combat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or