U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many people know how to fight
Less than 1% 10 35.71%
5% 10 35.71%
10% 5 17.86%
20% 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:44 PM

30 posts, read 100,474 times

Advertisements

I boxed for five years and I've walked away from numerous fights. I love the night life and like to go to bars on the weekends. I'm a bald, white, muscular guy who looks like someone just out of prison, even though I have no criminal record and have a Master's degree with a GPA of 3.86. But, in bars, there are always some young 21 year old guys who want to mess with the tuff looking older guy. Truth is, if I didn't walk away, I'd be in fights every night. I personally don't like the idea of hurting someone or getting hurt. I've been hurt plenty times in the ring, so it seems dumb to get hurt in a bar. Plus the whole thing is just messy. There's blood, cracking sounds, and then bouncers on ya, and then the dreaded police. Ain't worth it. If someone's trying to pick a fight with me, there are a hundred other bars just up the street. I don't need the troubles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 09:24 PM

33 posts, read 27,789 times
LOL!!!!! This never gets old I agree with the above statement. How do you define "knowing how to fight?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post

Old 04-19-2015, 09:28 PM

33 posts, read 27,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The way to get an answer to this question is not to ask people's opinions.

The way to get an answer to this question is to take an anonymous poll (or a number of polls) large enough to get you a reliable representative sample. It would be interesting to do.
great idea! a simlpe " do you know how to fight poll would be perfect

apparently we know how I'd answer a do you know how to spell poll. FML

Old 07-23-2015, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Oh my God.......that is the quintessential McDojo!
I wonder if any of those "martial artists" have any idea what they're doing and the meaning or purpose behind the moves. From my perspective the understanding is shallow at best.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,623 times
Quote:
there was an "american karate" class going on at the same time. i instructor was showing some technique, and one of the kids (teens) asked a question about it. dont remember the question. the instructor replied with "im not here to answer your damn questions, so be quiet and learn"

lmao that is what traditional martial arts has become, street fighter kick-a-thons and no questions allowed, heres your blackbelt, wheres my check.
That's just scary. I'd never attend a school where that's the attitude. That is what gives good traditional martial arts schools a bad name.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:23 PM

9,984 posts, read 6,758,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j50wells View Post
I boxed for five years and I've walked away from numerous fights. I love the night life and like to go to bars on the weekends. I'm a bald, white, muscular guy who looks like someone just out of prison, even though I have no criminal record and have a Master's degree with a GPA of 3.86. But, in bars, there are always some young 21 year old guys who want to mess with the tuff looking older guy. Truth is, if I didn't walk away, I'd be in fights every night. I personally don't like the idea of hurting someone or getting hurt. I've been hurt plenty times in the ring, so it seems dumb to get hurt in a bar. Plus the whole thing is just messy. There's blood, cracking sounds, and then bouncers on ya, and then the dreaded police. Ain't worth it. If someone's trying to pick a fight with me, there are a hundred other bars just up the street. I don't need the troubles.
You couldn't be more right. Probably the only time I would fight in public now is if
I really thought there was no alternative or to defend a helpless victim.
I've also turned down fights and walked away. It can be humiliating but it's preferable
to being in jail to face charges. I've even taken beatings that resulted in black eyes (once),
bleeding lip (once), punches to the gut (another time) and even a guy my buddy got mad
attacking my car's windshield with a dagger.
But at least I wasn't hauled into a police barracks or hospital or court for these things.
So you have to be smart over macho, as much as you can.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:18 PM

192 posts, read 151,121 times
Quote:
That is awesome.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:50 AM

465 posts, read 296,815 times
Everybody knows how fight. Its simply smarter to not fight outside the ring. The reasons are common sense to us all, but we often forget about them during conflict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or