U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:06 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,674,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Hmmm, I always thought they were separate. I understand both are run by a Gracie Family member. But I think CBJJ is run by Carlinhos, and that side of the family, while IBJJF is run by the Helio side, and those two have not always liked each other.
This is what I found on wiki.

International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The IBJJF is directly connected to Confederação Brasileira de Jiu-Jitsu, sharing its rules and regulations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,205,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Hmmm, I always thought they were separate. I understand both are run by a Gracie Family member. But I think CBJJ is run by Carlinhos, and that side of the family, while IBJJF is run by the Helio side, and those two have not always liked each other.
Nope, ibjjf is run by Carlos Gracie Jr. (Founder of Gracie barra) and has nothing to do with Helios side. Rickson has started his own federation recently also. Cbjj is a localized part of ibjjf just like usbjjf.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM

6,252 posts, read 6,391,917 times
Then Ibjjf is technically the accredited governing body like the IJF, or FILA, or FIFA. It is the most recognized name. If you start a for profit school without the IBJJF logo somewhere, it may not look too legit.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 PM

Nah ibjjf WANTS to be like the ijf but there is no governing body officially. Ibjjf puts on the biggest and best tournaments BUT, they don't govern anything. A lot of gyms/tournaments use their system/rules a lot don't.

Theresa lot of contraversey surrounding ibjjf also so a lot of people are shying away from ibjjf.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,674,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Nah ibjjf WANTS to be like the ijf but there is no governing body officially. Ibjjf puts on the biggest and best tournaments BUT, they don't govern anything. A lot of gyms/tournaments use their system/rules a lot don't.

Theresa lot of contraversey surrounding ibjjf also so a lot of people are shying away from ibjjf.
Rigas do you think, eventually, there will be organizations like usa judo (I'm a individual member of this) or usjf?

Old 08-30-2014, 09:00 AM

We are USA judo, and usja ourselves under hachidan Andrew Connelly

Honestly I hope not, everyone keeps screaming bjj should be in the Olympics, I say NO WAY!!! Look what ijf and the Olympics have done to judo with their rules. Then look at what the Olympics have done to boxing, wrestling, TKD, every combat sport is watered down terribly because of it.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:26 PM

33 posts, read 27,846 times
uh... I WHAT?? are you sure you have to register with the IBJJF to have a school? Ive been competing for 5 years, we are a well known team but I never heard of our team being in "registered" ANY organization in order to be "recognized" as legitimate. We as competitors pay around 100$ each to compete but thats about it...

Old 06-27-2015, 01:36 AM

273 posts, read 133,061 times
There are ways around IBJJF membership such as signing your club upto the bjj globetrotters.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:41 AM

273 posts, read 133,061 times
If you want your guys to compete in IBJJF competitions you can signup to the globetrotters for $0. The IBJJF offers zero benefits apart from the high level comps.

If you're starting up a new club I'd have though an affiliated to a well known team would be more important to perspective students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or