U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 09:14 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,453,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Yeh they been in it for years starting at like 26 or 27, fighting other guys the same, and how often do they actually get a fight?

Div 1 wrestling is a far cry from fighting. There are no top Muay thai or boxers. There are little really good judoka in there as well.

There are already plenty of people that started relatively late that have beaten D1 wrestlers. BJ Penn, GSP, Anthony Pettis, Anderson Silva are just some of the more famous ones.

Yet wrestlers tend to dominate MMA and be champions. (Jones, Velasquez, Weidman, Edgar, Demetrious Johnson, TJ Dillashaw, Johnny Hendricks and the list goes on). Your point is invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 01:12 AM

399 posts, read 419,118 times
Well.. one one hand the fighters are asked for interviews. If they feel they owe their victory to Jesus or whatever, who are we to tell them they can't express that? I mean I'm not a religious guy but I respect the fighter's views and their right to express them. On the other hand I agree there should be a reasonable time length limit on interviews.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:56 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,050,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Yet wrestlers tend to dominate MMA and be champions. (Jones, Velasquez, Weidman, Edgar, Demetrious Johnson, TJ Dillashaw, Johnny Hendricks and the list goes on). Your point is invalid.
But considering the popularity of wrestling, how many elite athletes pour their life into the sport? My guess is that 95% of youths are focused on football/basketball/baseball/hockey/soccer. You just aren't going to find as many youngsters that have had laser like focus on MMA since birth like you do in some sports. That leaves the door open for good athletes to take up MMA later in life and have success. This would be unfathomable in most of the traditionally popular sports. For example, even the best athletes in the world have little to no chance of becoming a top 10 NBA or NFL player.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:45 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Since this thread is about being religious in the MMA, I'll go ahead and comment:

No, I don't think people in MMA, or in ANY sport, stating that they love and thank God, or praise Jesus -- are ridiculous -- at all.

Nothing is ridiculous about this -- except to people who shudder at the mere thought of speaking about God in SPORTS! If I read the above posts correctly, most of you say "I'm not religious". Okay, if you say so. According to these MMA guys, saying they love God is okay with them, and it doesn't make them any less "manly".

Guess what? I'm not religious either! I'm a Christian. There's a major difference! Loving God and saying so is not ridiculous, except to those who think everything about God is ridiculous.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 AM

305 posts, read 387,845 times
Who cares what they say post-fight?

Most of these guys came from broken homes and all they had was their faith and their mixed martial arts background.

The only time I think it is a bit ridiculous is after Vitor Belfort wins he puts on Jesus shirt, but I won't tell him that to his face.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:41 AM

84 posts, read 61,639 times
A lot of Christians dominate like the Crusaders in the middle ages. Fedor is a Christian, Jon Jones, Belfort, Weidman, Matt Hughes, Henderson, Hendricks, Igor Vovchanchyn, Diego Sanchez, Kenny Florian, Ken Shamrock, Rich Franklin, just off the top. I don't know how many stay Christians, but a lot of the champs seem to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or