U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 06:33 AM

1,665 posts, read 751,354 times

Advertisements

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...awXrvrgPWFcozw

I don't normally purchase UFC pay per view, but for this championship match I might.

McGregor is crazy...a lot of fun to watch!!
Attached Thumbnails
McGregor vs. Aldo (5/23/15)-mcgregor.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 09:20 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,792,076 times
He definitely picks his shots well. Initial odds list Aldo as the favorite at -140.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:13 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times
aldo is going to eat him alive.

love conner but to soon, hes not ready for jose aldo.

i would have preferred to see conner vs edgar and the winner get the title shot.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:47 AM

2,386 posts, read 5,451,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
aldo is going to eat him alive.

love conner but to soon, hes not ready for jose aldo.

i would have preferred to see conner vs edgar and the winner get the title shot.

I agree all the way. I love Conner and I feel he is what the UFC needs: He has the star power and Ireland riding behind him. He has looked more than impressive but it has also been against guys who primarily stand up guys. I want to see him take on guys who are power house wrestlers. Guys like Edgar, Mendes, heck, even if Urijah Faber decided to go up in weight again, I bet he would give Conner fits. Conner hasn't shown what he can do on the ground but there's no doubt in my mind that a guy with excellent wrestling will take him down and work him.

As for Aldo, I don't see him being the guy to take Aldo out. He COULD but I don't see it happening. He has reach, covers distance really well, is fast, agile and picks his shots carefully and has stopping power. Aldo on the other hand is just better at everything plus he has insane takedown defense, a great ground game and is simply a better fighter I feel.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:08 PM

22 posts, read 20,003 times
I wish one of them was in a different weight class, I don't want either of them to lose

Old 02-03-2015, 08:46 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,732,920 times
if I had the run of the UFC, I would...
1) cut half the roster. I don't know when or why the UFC decided that it needs every professional fighter in the world under contract, but it has watered down the sport. nobody buys PPVs anymore, mostly because nobody has HEARD of most of the fighters - that and there is a PPV every three weeks, + a free televised event every other week - usually better card than the PPV. disagree with what I'm saying. look at this Forum. its a damn ghost town. there are two or three active threads. UFC should be the premier league, but it needs leagues like WEC and StrikeForce to develop younger talent.

2) nix both the 125 and 145 lb devisions. that's right - I said it! and I LOVE Demetrius Johnson, and watching the 125 lb fighters. its not that those guys are too small to capture my interest. its just that there are too many weight classes (and too many fighters) in the UFC. I figure the 125 lb guys can move up to 135. the 145 lb guys can either move up to 155 or down to 135. I know its imperfect for 125 and 145 lb fighters, but dammit, something has to give.

just my .02.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:49 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,792,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
if I had the run of the UFC, I would...
1) cut half the roster. I don't know when or why the UFC decided that it needs every professional fighter in the world under contract, but it has watered down the sport. nobody buys PPVs anymore, mostly because nobody has HEARD of most of the fighters - that and there is a PPV every three weeks, + a free televised event every other week - usually better card than the PPV. disagree with what I'm saying. look at this Forum. its a damn ghost town. there are two or three active threads. UFC should be the premier league, but it needs leagues like WEC and StrikeForce to develop younger talent.

2) nix both the 125 and 145 lb devisions. that's right - I said it! and I LOVE Demetrius Johnson, and watching the 125 lb fighters. its not that those guys are too small to capture my interest. its just that there are too many weight classes (and too many fighters) in the UFC. I figure the 125 lb guys can move up to 135. the 145 lb guys can either move up to 155 or down to 135. I know its imperfect for 125 and 145 lb fighters, but dammit, something has to give.

just my .02.
I like your first idea, but I'd approach it differently. Rather than cutting the roster, I'd have fewer PPV events and I'd stack the cards differently. The PPV would be mostly title/superfights, and the free televised and smaller events would have the lesser ranked fighters. PPV numbers would go up, ideally enough to compensate for the fewer events, and the casual person watching the free events isn't going to know the difference between top and lower ranked fighters anyway.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:15 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,732,920 times
Ive said it a thousand times, what you said about stacking the cards and running fewer PPVs.
So, your logic there is implied in everything i'm saying. HOWEVER, you'd STILL have to DRASTICALLY cut the roster in order for it to work. Right now, there are OVER 500 fighters under contract, of which MMA would be better served if they were fighting in Bellator or Invicta etc.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:26 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times
They should cut fighters, but they are keeping any semi-quality guys to keep th away from those smaller promotions. That's why Coker trolled zuffa into signing Crocop again lol.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:21 PM

8,083 posts, read 5,287,531 times
They should bring the WEC back and give it all the fighters that are not ready for prime-time (AKA UFC). WEC can be the development company of future fighters. It can be the one that does the UFC fights at FOX and FoxSports 1. UFC should only have 1 big PPV monthly. Maybe make the UFC fights into an event. Have a couple of muay thai fights with local talent, have a BBJ tournament the day before and livecast it on Youtube, etc. Also, maybe start the PPV at 9pm.

Only the top fighter should fight in the UFC. It should have only the below weight classes.

Featherweight
Lightweight
Welterweight
Middleweight
Light Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)