U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 12:05 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times

Advertisements

i love fight science, really well put together apples to apples type comparison.

now a lot of people constantly "point out" that if a pro boxer got in the cage with mma gloves it would be an easy KO because of the smaller gloves. ive even seen some say "floyd might kill someone if he fought in those smaller gloves."

looks like there is very little difference if force between the 2 gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRmOOWPTRBs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 06:46 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,495,519 times
How do you explain the comparative glass jaws in MMA then?

Is this another MMA vs boxing thread?

Put the best MMA fighter in Floyd's weight class in boxing, and see what the fight looks like. What's your point exactly?

Old 09-03-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
How do you explain the comparative glass jaws in MMA then?

Is this another MMA vs boxing thread?

Put the best MMA fighter in Floyd's weight class in boxing, and see what the fight looks like. What's your point exactly?
put floyd in his weight class in mma see what the fight looks like. not a boxing vs mma, whos whats better thread at all. its a lets compare gloves thread.

the point is, all those who say a boxer with 4 oz mma gloves is more dangerous than a boxer with standard boxing gloves, that myth is dispelled.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:45 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
I never thought the weight of the gloves had much to do with the hitting but the protection of the knuckles to allow more hitting.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I never thought the weight of the gloves had much to do with the hitting but the protection of the knuckles to allow more hitting.
in reality, this is the truth. but in attempts to boost one sport over the other, many have made the claims i stated.

a lot more broken hands in mma. not so much "glass jaw" as was accused earlier.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:44 AM

2,757 posts, read 1,950,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
put floyd in his weight class in mma see what the fight looks like. not a boxing vs mma, whos whats better thread at all. its a lets compare gloves thread.

the point is, all those who say a boxer with 4 oz mma gloves is more dangerous than a boxer with standard boxing gloves, that myth is dispelled.
Not getting into the science, and also not a fan of MMA but what I will tell you is this. There is more money to be made by a top ranked fighter in boxing then MMA. So someone that has the talent to box is not going to step down and attempt to learn the skills to compete in MMA. On the other hand only a few MMA fighters have tried to make a go of it in boxing and failed. Guess my point is MMA fighters do not transition to boxing and the money because they know they would never make it.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Not getting into the science, and also not a fan of MMA but what I will tell you is this. There is more money to be made by a top ranked fighter in boxing then MMA. So someone that has the talent to box is not going to step down and attempt to learn the skills to compete in MMA. On the other hand only a few MMA fighters have tried to make a go of it in boxing and failed. Guess my point is MMA fighters do not transition to boxing and the money because they know they would never make it.
Ahhh yes, there we go. Don't care about the false narrative of how superior boxers are and how they would dominate in mma with tiny gloves. Instead lets just talk about how much money to top .1% of boxers make.
The average boxing champion is making very similar money to what the average mma champion makes. Let's not get into the whole "yeah but Floyd makes", that is the most ridiculous argument possible.

But thanks for playing.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:49 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,573,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Of course MMA fighters would have trouble making it in boxing. They have spent years developing their skills mixing in BJJ, wrestling, and Muay Thai/boxing.

They couldn't expect to become world-class at boxign any more that a boxer would be able to become world-class at a mix of BJJ/wrestling/MuayThai/boxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)