U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:58 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,614,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i completely agree with get in shape. if you are out of shape, you are a target. if youre in shape you will likely be left alone more often then not.
My point was that even if you pick the wrong school initially, for the first several months, all you will do is 'get in shape'. By that time, you will know better what direction you will want to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 05:43 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
My point was that even if you pick the wrong school initially, for the first several months, all you will do is 'get in shape'. By that time, you will know better what direction you will want to go.
i still completely disagree.
you are better off spending 6 months looking for the right school and walking laps around your block than to sign up at a crap school.

not only are you going to learn crap, taught by people who likely truly believe they can teach you how to defend yourself, all the while not, but you are spending money on something that is of absolutely no use to you.

going to a kung fu class learning how to catch flies with chopsticks while paying $50-100/month is going to leave your wallet light, your confidence high, until you get mugged and then you end up hurt or dead. all the while you still havent looked anywhere else because youve been to busy bowing to your sensei.

nope, research and find the right place before signing up anywhere. (side note, most mcdojos have contracts)

Old 08-07-2017, 04:00 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,959,194 times
A lot of smaller guys give bigger grapplers a tough time using leg and heel hooks.
This guy is a super feather weight but he beats middle heavy weight black belts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Miyao

Old 08-07-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
A lot of smaller guys give bigger grapplers a tough time using leg and heel hooks.
This guy is a super feather weight but he beats middle heavy weight black belts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Miyao
the miyao brothers are really just starting to play the leg lock game. its popularity is coming around a lot more lately, with the "danaher death squad" and all the 10th planet faithful claiming them as their own.

miyao have historically been a birimbolo style player.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:34 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,614,592 times
well, rigas. We might agree to disagree. I see your point and hear you. You brought some very legitimate issues up. But at the same time, I believe in continuous improvement more than into procrastination until you have your perfect solution. I'd rather go through a trial and error, losing money here and there, than do nothing, because I haven't found yet a guaranteed 100% perfect solution.

And I understand you don't advocate such approach either, I know people who are good at doing their homework, taking all necessarily preparations, and then doing the right thing from the start. It's wise way of doing things and spending money (and I did not say it is wrong). I am just saying it's better to do something (even if it is wrong), then nothing. It's just my style of doing things (and approach to life in general), your style might be better for you (and is definitely wiser).

Old 08-07-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
well, rigas. We might agree to disagree. I see your point and hear you. You brought some very legitimate issues up. But at the same time, I believe in continuous improvement more than into procrastination until you have your perfect solution. I'd rather go through a trial and error, losing money here and there, than do nothing, because I haven't found yet a guaranteed 100% perfect solution.

And I understand you don't advocate such approach either, I know people who are good at doing their homework, taking all necessarily preparations, and then doing the right thing from the start. It's wise way of doing things and spending money (and I did not say it is wrong). I am just saying it's better to do something (even if it is wrong), then nothing. It's just my style of doing things (and approach to life in general), your style might be better for you (and is definitely wiser).
i completely understand what youre saying.

my point in this case, on this topic is, by going to a bad school/system you are not getting any better at defending yourself, you very well could be getting WORSE.
what happens a lot is you get people who want to learn self defense, end up in a george dilman type school, and begin to believe the hype. they begin to believe "you know, this is really all i need." those are the people who think they can disarm a mugger, or stop a knife attack and end up hurt or killed.

all martial arts tell you to "just get away" etc, but a lot of them build a false sense of bravado, delusions of grandeur or just a "hey im a black belt, i can defend myself" attitude.

this is a prime example. out of chicago. his students all believe. these were people who just want to learn how to defend themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdrzBL2dHMI

Old 08-07-2017, 09:40 AM

another prime example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52aty0ki0Ik

or this one
this is a room full of people who wanted to learn how to defend themselves and ummmm yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbHlg1MqrxU

Old 12-13-2017, 10:19 PM

296 posts, read 323,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
modern krav maga in the usa is pure garbage. there are VERY FEW true krav maga instructors/schools in the usa.
teaching women krav maga in isreal is TOTALLY different than teaching 40 somethings what is labelled at KM in the usa.

i have a friend who was an isreali sayeret soldier. he comes in and trains jiu jitsu with us now and then. he laughs at the krav that is taught here.

I don't think that Krav Maga in Israel is that great neither. It's pretty expected for them to say that it's crap over here compared to their homeland. Just like BJJ and the plenty of Brazilians that say the same thing like 20 years ago how it's much better in Brazil. Now it's just hard for them to do so because it's exploded in the USA and there's usually more than 1 Black Belt in most gyms....with tons of tourneys and tons of high level Brazilians cashing in on the BJJ cash-cow over here.

Krav Maga is about the same as MCMAP for the US Marines and Kung-Fu/Sanda for the Chinese army or something. All military systems of the world has something similar to get their soldiers some quick and dirty training for H2H, but it's not even that important b/c their assault rifle beats all that chopsockying. It's a waste of time to train as hard in H2H as even a hobbyist Martial Artist who usually don't even fight....many suck at it....so forget about taking all that time to get to the Figther's level in MMA....not to mention all the injuries that are prone to happen which would would diminish a soldier's performance (ie. concussions).

The average Israeli soldier with just their military training of Krav would get their as beaten into a pulp by some Accountant or something, who trains MMA 3x a week for 1-2 years and maybe fought 1-3 amateur fights. Same would happen to some Marine with merely MCMAP training.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:10 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Shotokan

Old 12-15-2017, 04:16 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,832,091 times
Run!
It's a poor set of legs that will let a man stand there and take a beating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or