Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:37 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,173,073 times

Advertisements

Boxing. You need to learn to control range. If you fight a larger opponent, or any opponent for that matter, ensure that you are in an open area where you can utilize your footwork and skill.

Keep your distance. If you cannot prevent them from closing distance, use wrestling/jujitsu.

I don't know anything about kicking apart from Anderson Silva's leg getting broke off. Wouldn't recommend that tactic, but you should learn how to check kicks.

Either way, fighting is not smart. Some injuries will stick with you forever. MMA fighters especially will likely be in pain for the rest of their lives. Boxers are highly susceptible to brain injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 01:15 AM

3,746 posts, read 2,955,101 times
On another note it is quite easy to bulk up for a smallish sized man, to around 90Kg or near 200 pounds, so you are really not giving that much away in terms of size and power. (even with just repetitive light weights and resistance training -I would rarely regard myself as an easy target with this type of dimensions).
You know you can similarly do some real damage to an aggressor with this type of bulk, if you can avoid getting hit too hard, and too early.
In saying that, I would avoid physical confrontations at all costs, and rely on boxing type moves for striking, and grappling techniques where you can get the guy down and get away quickly.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:02 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,173,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Boxing. You need to learn to control range. If you fight a larger opponent, or any opponent for that matter, ensure that you are in an open area where you can utilize your footwork and skill.

Keep your distance. If you cannot prevent them from closing distance, use wrestling/jujitsu.

I don't know anything about kicking apart from Anderson Silva's leg getting broke off. Wouldn't recommend that tactic, but you should learn how to check kicks.

Either way, fighting is not smart. Some injuries will stick with you forever. MMA fighters especially will likely be in pain for the rest of their lives. Boxers are highly susceptible to brain injury.
I want to go back a little on what I said at the end and just hope that fighters get out or manage to heal their injuries. A life time of pain is not something I would wish upon anyone. Always think about this before you consider fighting.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:38 PM

154 posts, read 131,028 times
A person I knew was a professional boxer and was coaching young boxers for the ring. He got into an altercation with a street fighter and the street fighter took him to the ground and savagely bit his nose. Luckily he had a friend with him who pulled the street fighter off of him and kept him away, the friend was a black belt Karate and a police officer. The street fighter got the best of him and would have beaten the crap out of him if it weren't for his friend.

I used to attend Karate tournaments and found it interesting that no matter what style they studied, or what pose they took at the start, when they started sparring, they all looked like Isshinryu Karate. Pick a style that you like, and you are comfortable with, that gives you confidence, then learn to run away very fast. That works if you are alone, if you are with others, you may have to defend them against an attacker. I would defend my children or grandchildren against any attack, the next time I'll just put them in the ground, and deny any knowledge of it, or let the police handle it.

FYI, I'm about 5' - 6" and 160 lbs. I'll be 70 in Jan. so I'm not in my prime.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:16 PM

154 posts, read 131,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post

I agree that distance is very important in a fight, but you should learn techniques that work at different distances. In a Karate class, once I was sparing with someone who was much taller than I was, and had learned to use his longer reach, but hadn't learned anything for close in fighting. I figured that out and would get in close when we spared, and he was at a loss as to what to do. Another time I was working with him to teach him the 2nd Kata, and then asked him to preform the 1st Kata. He looked puzzled saying that he had already passed that one, and must have thought that he could now forget it. I told him he was expected to maintain proficiency in all the Katas that he had learned.

I should add that the best distance for defense is the range of a .357 magnum or a 9 mm.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:27 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,802,778 times
Run

Old 03-31-2017, 11:56 PM

7,513 posts, read 11,305,976 times
I think it comes down to the styles that have good approaches for defending against the strikes of a stronger opponent. Then work on mastering those techniques. I think styles that use deflecting techniques(like parries) or the clinch(BJJ)for defending against strikes may be better for dealing with stronger people. Trying to use hard blocks to defend against a stronger opponent can cause you to get an arm injured. Plus you're trying to use force against force which favors the stronger person.

So when checking out styles check out their striking defense to see whether they're deflecting oriented.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,656,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lucas View Post
For small men who are about 5'7 or 5'8 and who weight about a buck 50 or so... what would be the best self defense style for them to learn, preferably one designed for smaller people to defeat larger opponents (if such a style even exists)?
a lot of different styles mentioned, but one that no one has mentioned, and is effective for smaller people against larger opponents is akido. you learn to use greater force against itself.

but one thing i will remind you, is that learning any martial art for self defense is just the beginning. you do not want to limit yourself to one style only, so after mastering akido, you want to start adding other arts to your skill set, like judo, another art that teaches you to use greater force against itself.

after mastering these two, i would then add kenpo karate. with these three arts you get enough different styles you can use against most people you would run up against, two soft arts and one hard art.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:16 PM

3,367 posts, read 2,851,414 times
I'll vote for Krav Maga. If Israelis can turn their young women into deadly soldiers with 6 months of KM training, it should be good enough. Plus, it's very oriented to staying on feet and developed by a guy who new a few things about fighting alone vs many.

On another note, training (in any style) is more important than picking the right school (and doing nothing until then). No style is good if you aren't in a good shape, and kicking and punching demands a lot of energy and strength.

I would also like to point out to the fact that advanced levels of Krav Maga incorporate shooting and knife attacks (and transition from hands to pistol/knife) - not only defense against knife/firearm - to the curriculum.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:54 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,022,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
I'll vote for Krav Maga. If Israelis can turn their young women into deadly soldiers with 6 months of KM training, it should be good enough. Plus, it's very oriented to staying on feet and developed by a guy who new a few things about fighting alone vs many.

On another note, training (in any style) is more important than picking the right school (and doing nothing until then). No style is good if you aren't in a good shape, and kicking and punching demands a lot of energy and strength.

I would also like to point out to the fact that advanced levels of Krav Maga incorporate shooting and knife attacks (and transition from hands to pistol/knife) - not only defense against knife/firearm - to the curriculum.
modern krav maga in the usa is pure garbage. there are VERY FEW true krav maga instructors/schools in the usa.
teaching women krav maga in isreal is TOTALLY different than teaching 40 somethings what is labelled at KM in the usa.

i have a friend who was an isreali sayeret soldier. he comes in and trains jiu jitsu with us now and then. he laughs at the krav that is taught here.

there are adds "become a krav maga instructor in your home" thats BS!

i completely disagree on the statement of training any style is more important than picking the right school.
that is the worst piece of advice in the subject yet. going to a bad school simply for the sake of "just train something" is how people get hurt or even killed trying to defend themselves.

i completely agree with get in shape. if you are out of shape, you are a target. if youre in shape you will likely be left alone more often then not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)