U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:06 AM

6,447 posts, read 3,456,304 times

Advertisements

First of all I'm not one of those people who cry about Rousey being fake, overrated, whatever. She was an undefeated champion who was totally dominated by Holly Holm last night. Rousey has never been in the Octagon with a striker like Holm, and what looks like a poor game plan of standing toe to toe with Holm backfired.

Personally I feared this fight not only because of Holm's strong background, and her experience in fighting in championship fights already. But Rousey wasn't focused entirely on this fight regardless of what she says. Just watch the TV. Doing all sorts of TV shows; filming movies - that's not focused.

At this point I still think Rousey is the best woman's MMA fighter ever. But that will change in my mind if she doesn't come back in a rematch and take Holm down or loses again. She needs another game plan and to really put her efforts into the fight better than she has ever had to before. She met her toughest competition to date and she lost.

What will be really interesting though is if she doesn't come back right away and instead "disappears" for a while like she said she was going to do to film more movies, or who knows, maybe the WWE.

The future will tell if Rousey is a champion or not. One fight does not define a champions pedigree, but a career does. Very few have ever retired from their sport undefeated, so this is not the end of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 07:45 AM

3,276 posts, read 1,494,519 times
Holm was a professional boxer. What did you expect?

Holm showed amazing footwork. She made Rousey look completely lost. Holm is also taller and stronger than Rousey. Holm would win 10 out of 10 times.

Last edited by Jobster; 11-15-2015 at 07:58 AM..

Old 11-15-2015, 08:22 AM

6,447 posts, read 3,456,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Holm was a professional boxer. What did you expect?

Holm showed amazing footwork. She made Rousey look completely lost. Holm is also taller and stronger than Rousey. Holm would win 10 out of 10 times.
I wasn't sure what to expect honestly.

I wanted to believe that Rousey could adjust to any game. I thought that it wasn't right that Holm was being put into this fight which what appeared to be too early.

Holm proved me wrong. It was utter domination from the get go. I think Rousey's camp got a littl too egotistical believing Ronda got go toe to toe with Holm. Holm showed the UFC that a pure striker such as her is dangerous, and if she continues to work on her ground game, which by the way yesterday the few times Ronda tried Holm escaped, Holm could become the fighter everyone thought Rousey was. Holm is now the undefeated champion and hers to lose.

Unlike Tate, Rousey has already earned her rematch. I hope the rematch happens sooner than later. The next match will prove more, and if Rousey wins there will have to be yet another match, but if Holm wins again then she will prove her greatness.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:42 AM

469 posts, read 417,562 times
To be honest I kind of enjoyed seeing her get destroyed like that. Rousey is a good fighter, but I've always found her mouth and attitude in general to be a little off putting.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:50 AM

10,614 posts, read 13,146,734 times
Rousey charged forward and was outclassed by Holm in the striking game, She is a veteran boxer with long reach. She earned the win with her skills and focus. No one is unbeatable and I feel Rousey has a big ego and this loss will be a defining moment for her. How she handles it will be very telling. She can learn from it and very possibly be champion again if she stays in the fight game. She should make a statement sooner rather then later from a PR standpoint. Time will tell.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,496 times
mma is exposed again, it didnt take great skills to be successful in mma, Holly Holm did it in 10 wins, she should how superior skillfully she is, Ronda has failed her family, friends, and fans, she should retire and make movies. She will be remember a a fad who made UFC costumes for Halloween popular for girls, that's it. Holly Holm is a true athlete, a boxer champion and didnt take much for her to be a UFC champion. It didnt take much for Brock Lesnar to be UFC champion. MMA is a gimmick, a joke, tonight was another embarrassment for mma, all of the boxing fans are laughing right now, you don't even have to be a boxing fan or even a fan of sports to understand how embarrassing it is for other athletes of different sports to win fights in mma. Ronda doesn't deserve a rematch based on her performance. it wasn't a split decision, or a controversial decision. It was a one sided fight that ended with a KO.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:22 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,748,852 times
I always told my daughter that Rhonda would lose the day she ran into a well rounded oponent who was a good boxer and that is exactly what happened last night.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:36 AM

465 posts, read 297,205 times
I agree with the aforementioned statement that the MMA was exposed too last night. Though I am still surprised that Rhonda lost last night, because I thought she had the ability to overcome good boxing skills. After seeing the fight highlights, I think Rhonda's holes are glaringly obviously...and Rhonda knew that too, which is why she started focusing on improving her Boxing skills.

In regards to her arrogance and bravado, I personally like it. Don't forget, these characteristics are what makes such athletes so successful and apt to take risks that others are scared to do. I applaud Rhonda for that, but now we have to see how she responds to such a dramatic beating. As a lifelong Boxing fan, I know of several Boxers who failed miserably after losing because they were figured out...will Rhonda follow suit. I say yes.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:38 AM

3,276 posts, read 1,494,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeofreyAndrew View Post
mma is exposed again, it didnt take great skills to be successful in mma, Holly Holm did it in 10 wins, she should how superior skillfully she is, Ronda has failed her family, friends, and fans, she should retire and make movies. She will be remember a a fad who made UFC costumes for Halloween popular for girls, that's it. Holly Holm is a true athlete, a boxer champion and didnt take much for her to be a UFC champion. It didnt take much for Brock Lesnar to be UFC champion. MMA is a gimmick, a joke, tonight was another embarrassment for mma, all of the boxing fans are laughing right now, you don't even have to be a boxing fan or even a fan of sports to understand how embarrassing it is for other athletes of different sports to win fights in mma. Ronda doesn't deserve a rematch based on her performance. it wasn't a split decision, or a controversial decision. It was a one sided fight that ended with a KO.
I wouldn't go that far. A boxer of even Mayweather's caliber wouldn't have much success unless he learned other fighting techniques. He could not win on boxing alone and if he attempted to, he could potentially win some fights, but it is unlikely he would be able to beat guys that can do more things.

And if Mayweather were to learn more fighting techniques and utilize them in the "cage," then he would no longer be a boxer, but instead, an MMA fighter.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:25 AM

238 posts, read 160,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
To be honest I kind of enjoyed seeing her get destroyed like that. Rousey is a good fighter, but I've always found her mouth and attitude in general to be a little off putting.

I thought the same exact thing. Rousey is annoying and not too likable. I was rooting for Holm's. I think that she is the more humble fighter. And it showed, what we once thought. A good enough boxer can keep the distance with just a grappler. I remember a lot of street fights in my youth. The bigger guy would try to come in to take me down, until he got popped in the head a few times. Then, the hesitation and confusion comes in. You keep getting hit, and you will hesitate to try to come inside. Rousey kind of looked pathetic for all the hype. You could see Dana White looked like he wanted to cry after the fight. His golden girl was crushed. Never liked Dana White, so I got an extra buzz with that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or