U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 11:08 AM

1,947 posts, read 906,071 times

Advertisements

Now, lets consider that both fighters are professionally ranked world champs in their respective areas. Which of the two would ultimately have the edge.

For sake of example, lets take Mayweather from boxing and let him face a similar weight UFC fighter like Jose Aldo. Does the pro boxer have the punching power to negate any attempts by his opponent to take it to the ground?.

I wonder do top boxers ultimately have the advantage over MMA fighters as the fight starts standing. Interesting to read comments, supporting this idea, by some ex pro boxing champs, such as Lennox Lewis and Tyson Furey, after the Rousey vs Holm title bout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 03:17 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,568,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Now, lets consider that both fighters are professionally ranked world champs in their respective areas. Which of the two would ultimately have the edge.

For sake of example, lets take Mayweather from boxing and let him face a similar weight UFC fighter like Jose Aldo. Does the pro boxer have the punching power to negate any attempts by his opponent to take it to the ground?.

I wonder do top boxers ultimately have the advantage over MMA fighters as the fight starts standing. Interesting to read comments, supporting this idea, by some ex pro boxing champs, such as Lennox Lewis and Tyson Furey, after the Rousey vs Holm title bout.
Pure boxer vs. MMA fighter. No contest. The boxer only has a "puncher's chance" to stop the clinch and takedown of the more well-rounded mma fighter. This has been shown countless times in the past.

Add grappling and ground skills (such as in Holm's case) and now it will be determined by who can keep the other one from imposing his or her game.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:50 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Pure boxer vs. MMA fighter. No contest. The boxer only has a "puncher's chance" to stop the clinch and takedown of the more well-rounded mma fighter. This has been shown countless times in the past.

Add grappling and ground skills (such as in Holm's case) and now it will be determined by who can keep the other one from imposing his or her game.
BUT... Once a boxer starts using takedowns, takedown defense, kick boxing and the like, they are no longer a boxer but a mixed martial artist.

Pure boxer, outside of a boxing ring has nothing but a punchers chance.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:49 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,790,528 times
Quote:

I don't mean any offense, but that's a ridiculous comparison.

It's like saying, world tennis champion vs. world badminton champion....who wins at tennis?

World taekwondo champion vs world fencing champion...who wins at fencing?

World Starcraft 2 champion vs. world Command and Conquer Champion...who wins at Starcraft 2? And so on.

Boxing and MMA are similar, but different. The boxing champion wins at boxing. The MMA champion wins in an MMA match. Sure, one can train in the skills necessary to succeed at their counterparts' specialty, but as rigas said, they're no longer strictly practicing their own art anymore.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:43 AM

6,805 posts, read 3,568,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
BUT... Once a boxer starts using takedowns, takedown defense, kick boxing and the like, they are no longer a boxer but a mixed martial artist.

Pure boxer, outside of a boxing ring has nothing but a punchers chance.

Haha! Isn't that what I said?

Old 11-20-2015, 11:52 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
would this be regarding regular sized fighters or midget/dwarfs?

Old 11-20-2015, 01:26 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,790,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Haha! Isn't that what I said?
He's clarifying that, at that point, it's no longer a "boxer vs. mma" fight, it's an "mma vs. mma" fight.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:28 PM

15,517 posts, read 13,509,459 times
Quote:

Just the simple fact of being able to kick efficiently would put the MMA above, he would not even let the boxer get into striking range. The MMA guy could just rush in close, where the boxer is trained to clinch whereas the MMA guy will just toss him to the ground.

But as others stated, this is comparing apples and oranges, boxers box, that is what they are trained to do. To cross into MMA, they would need at least a year (I am being generous) of other things just to even gain a minimal competitive advantage, and this would be just counters to keep the striking game going.

But boxers do have a good game going, a professional boxer is an excellent striker, but being one dimensional (and everyone is to some extent) also creates weaknesses that can be exploited. But I think a good wrestler would have a better chance in MMA than a good boxer, given no other skills, just my opinion though.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 AM

28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
A lot of MMA fighters have some experience with boxing if not a background in boxing (like Holly Holm).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dB3YUerKVU

Old 12-01-2015, 11:41 AM

28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
I think the toughest matchup for any MMA champion would be Mike Tyson. A very talented kickboxer might be able to keep him on the outside (if not KO him) with kicks to the legs and the occasional kick upstairs. A grappler would need to get him on the canvas immediately. There is no margin for error there.

I'd still put my money on the MMA fighter (if we're talking about champions here, not your ordinary, run of the mill fighter). But against Mike Tyson, I wouldn't favor them that much. All Tyson would need is for the fight to become a midrange fight for a few seconds. With 4 oz gloves, some teeth are coming out and some jaws and ribs are going to be broken.

And of course, we know Mike isn't above biting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51090bGcoR8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)