U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:02 AM

143 posts, read 96,101 times

Advertisements

From what I know about MMA, if you learn MMA there are no belts or any other form of rank. Most schools that teach MMA do not use rank although its possible there might be some schools that have incorporated a ranking system of some sort but generally speaking they don't do that in MMA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 01:06 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,573,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
From what I know about MMA, if you learn MMA there are no belts or any other form of rank. Most schools that teach MMA do not use rank although its possible there might be some schools that have incorporated a ranking system of some sort but generally speaking they don't do that in MMA.
There is no belt ranking in MMA. However, many MMA schools have BJJ blackbelts who teach the BJJ curriculum. These instructors will often give rank in BJJ to the students there.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
There is no belt ranking in MMA. However, many MMA schools have BJJ blackbelts who teach the BJJ curriculum. These instructors will often give rank in BJJ to the students there.
I see, well BJJ is not the same as MMA. I've done some BJJ and from what I've done it was all grappling and ground work. I've also tried out MMA and we did a combo of striking, grappling, and just about everything.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:03 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
some schools are going to a belt system in mma. allen belcher mma being one of them.

there is really no structured system other then what a few schools decide to do on their own.

tiger schulmann gives rank in their "mma" system. uriah hall being one of their products.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:43 PM

Well just about all martial arts schools and styles have a ranking system of some sort. Even styles that don't use the belts of rank or any other widely recognized system do have rank of some sort. I once knew this guy who trained in and taught Muai Thai and Jeet Kune Do as well as some other styles. None of the styles he did had belts or any formal ranking system. He did, however, have certificates to instruct in all his styles. Certification to instruct can be seen as the black belt equivalent in a style that doesn't use belts or any other formal ranking system.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:35 AM

Muay Thai does have a ranking system, though Bruce lee created a ranking system for jkd, he eventually abandoned it.

Welcome to MASTERKELBOWKO.COM

Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 AM

From what I've seen in Muai Thai, some European and American schools use colored arm bands as a ranking system but in Thailand from what I know they don't do that.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:22 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,573,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
I see, well BJJ is not the same as MMA. I've done some BJJ and from what I've done it was all grappling and ground work. I've also tried out MMA and we did a combo of striking, grappling, and just about everything.
Actaully, Vale Tudo, the predecessor of MMA is part of BJJ, although you don't see this so much in the modern sport BJJ schools these days.

BJJ, as taught by Helio and Carlson included striking.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:58 PM

Usually the striking that was taught in BJJ was very marginal and the main emphasis was on grappling, at least that's how it was with the BJJ I did. I do know the Gracies do teach some strikes and I once had an instructional video of theirs that taught a low sidekick to close the distance and move in on your opponent, but with the BJJ I've done there's only been grappling.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:06 PM

the helio gracie lineage (outside of rickson and rolls) has never really used striking, some very basic stuff. helio was very against it as he felt you didnt need to strike. he also didnt care much form joint locks, he preferred chokes as an unconscious opponent cant continue but break a guys arm/shoulder and he can. they also preferred open hand striking so as to not hurt their hands.

carlson (our lineage) was a bad man. he used strikes, though he preferred submission. he had decent striking though it was more as a set up for submissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or