Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:19 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
It's coming up over and over again. Fact is if two UFC fighters both have decent striking skills, then whomever has the better ground game wins. It happened with Holly and also with Connor on Saturday night.

S/he that have black belt in BJJ is at the top of the game. If Connor Mcg had both the boxing power and a black belt in BJJ, he would be unstoppable. Same for Holly. As it is, a boxer will be under pressure to end the fight before it goes to ground. The BJJ black belt just has to wait for a takedown and the rear chokes and joint locks do the rest.
sooo completely not true in terms of the whole blackbelt thing. conor is a brownbelt in BJJ. there are a TON of blackbelts in the ufc/mma in general. chris weidman is a blackbelt. he has a total of 3 submission wins. luke rokhold is a blackbelt, he has 9 of his 14 wins by sub. anderson silva is a bjj blackbelt only 6 subs in 33 wins. vitor belfort is a very high level blackbelt, and was at one time the near the top of carlson gracie sr's jiu jitsu team. he has a total of 3 sub wins and 2 sub losses. machida is a bjj blackbelt, he has 2 wins and 2 losses by sub. tim kennedy is a bjj blackbelt.

having a blackbelt in mma is a dime a dozen these days. the real difference is in training and how you use your jiu jitsu.

conor as a brown belt is above average in grappling/bjj (estimated that the average mma/ufc fighter is a purple belt) but its all in how you train it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I agree with most of this. The only slight difference is that Holly's striking is substantially better than Tate's, both in power and range. If they were on par with each other, then you're right....Tate would have been a near lock to win.

I think Holm's camp is pushing her in the right direction (hopefully towards ground game and maybe some clinch work).
holm's camp doesnt really train her to grapple on the mat, they more train her to just grapple enough to get to the cage and get back up. thats pretty much it. it takes YEARS AND YEARS to become a good grappler. a black belt, a real black belt in bjj takes on average about 12 years to obtain, and once you get your black belt, THATS when the true learning begins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 07:36 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
holm's camp doesnt really train her to grapple on the mat, they more train her to just grapple enough to get to the cage and get back up. thats pretty much it. it takes YEARS AND YEARS to become a good grappler. a black belt, a real black belt in bjj takes on average about 12 years to obtain, and once you get your black belt, THATS when the true learning begins.
That's what I mean by "right direction". They're not saying, "hey, your striking is awesome, keep doing that....it's your strength". But get her started on the ground now, not with the intent to have her submitting people on the ground, but with the intent of having her better avoid getting in disadvantageous situations to begin with, and the aid in getting out of them as quickly as possible.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,106 times
Quote:
To an extent yes.
More importantly Ronda needed to not be so emotionally invested, needs to dump that ******* coach and get with a real team.

I'd love Ronda on a team like say AKA? Cain, rockhold, DC and the like would really put her on the right track IMO.
Agreed.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:50 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
Quote:
Completely disagree. Holy won every round except the 2nd, was winning the 5th and "just got caught". Tate wasn't the better fighter that fight, she just had a small window to outshine holy and she capitalized.

Holy beats her 7 out of 10 fights or more.

Tate will not be champion long.

Lol... Won every round but.... the one that lost her the fight. Misha is a tough competitor and she showed her
Prowess with a BIG win. Whether she remains champ for long... Time will tell, but as of now , she's the champ and she earned every bit of it. And nothing you can say can take it away from her.
Your girl lost.... Suck it up!

Old 05-31-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Lol... Won every round but.... the one that lost her the fight. Misha is a tough competitor and she showed her
Prowess with a BIG win. Whether she remains champ for long... Time will tell, but as of now , she's the champ and she earned every bit of it. And nothing you can say can take it away from her.
Your girl lost.... Suck it up!
HA thats cute.
my girl? clearly you have not been around here long. while holly was fighting locally, and is sponsored by a friend of mine (mike white, owner of ready every second) she was never "my girl"

that said, tate is a *****. shes fake, shes been run out of just about every gym shes been in. shes tough no doubt but shes not the "good girl" she got made out to be.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Tate will not be champion long.
hmmmmm

Old 07-10-2016, 02:24 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,189,703 times
Quote:
hmmmmm
I can't say I am not happy. Again, I had no problems with Tate. My happiness is just at the some of the fans. Now some of the people who were dissing Holly for losing her 1st defense can enjoy this.

Many were saying Tate got a lucky break when she beat Holly, by the skin of her teeth, with a few sec. left. I agree with that. Tate is not bad or weak, by any means. But anyone can get lucky.

And Holm fought 'til she blacked-out. She went down fighting.

Now Tate comes up to her 1st title defense. Got bloodied to hell. Nunes seemed to out-muscle her. Then she spent the time covered up / hiding, and tapped out as soon as Nunes got her neck, and lost her belt in round 1. Around 2 min. Now that was a beating. Though Idk if it's as bad as Smith vs. Cyborg. lol

Old 07-11-2016, 07:49 AM

ive said it before, ill say it again, tate isnt the sweet girl shes made out to be, and while she is a solid fighter, she is not championship material.
im glad to see her without the belt again.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:27 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Tate is a good fighter who just got outclassed by Nunes, whose solid striking was simply too much. The womens championship belt certainly is seeing lot of movement. I think Tate will give it one more run and retire if she does not get a shot again soon.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Tate is a good fighter who just got outclassed by Nunes, whose solid striking was simply too much. The womens championship belt certainly is seeing lot of movement. I think Tate will give it one more run and retire if she does not get a shot again soon.
the crazy fight game.
cat looked great in round 1 vs pena. she killed tate, and ate up nunes. but seeing round 2-3 i dont see her beating any of them right now.
tate is out likely until next year or else id expect a cat vs tate rematch for the title shot.
ronda vs cat may still happen this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)