U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 01:29 PM

6,566 posts, read 9,080,964 times

Advertisements

If you were to go to a school or gym where mma is taught how are they teaching it? I mean,how is it organized as far as the skills being taught? Like do most instructors start people off with grappling and if so which grappling system? Do they then move on to striking skills from various styles? Or does the approach to teaching mma vary from one school/gym to another?

I'm referring to places that teach mma to the general public for self defense and not just those training professional fighters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 02:41 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,203,780 times
It's really different at every gym.
Depends on the instructors base, skills.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:53 PM

6,566 posts, read 9,080,964 times
^

I was just wondering. Because it seems like if you look at some of the styles that have become popular within mma such as Bjj,wrestling,boxing and Muay Thai. Those styles need you to devote a good amount of time to each to become good at them. So I was curious about how gyms were mixing them in such a way that students can become skilled at the different styles being used for mma.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:54 PM

guys from our gym tend to have a bjj base but our gym just merged with one of the top muay thai coaches in the world.

the gyms that produce great pro mma guys dont really have a base in any one style but the fighters dont tend to have day jobs and train seemingly all day. our gym's classes start at 5 am and go on and off until 9:30-10 pm, or until the last man leaves.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:49 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,798,746 times
The (few) gyms I'm familiar with effectively alternate days of specialization on the top styles (bjj, muay thai, etc.), and don't start to "blend" them until the very advanced levels. It might look like:

Monday: BJJ
Tuesday: Muay Thai
Wednesday: Advanced/mixed
Thursday: BJJ
Friday: Muay Thai
Saturday: Wrestling
Sunday: Advanced/mixed

as an example.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:56 AM

our gym has classes running at the same time, and you are free to do which ever you prefer (not at the same time obviously). IE striking classes and grappling classes run simultaneously. different striking or grappling classes are offered depending on the day/time. wrestling and judo both offered, again depending on the day/time

Old 05-12-2016, 10:18 PM

3,242 posts, read 4,582,979 times
I've always wondered how the guys who compete do it. Not in the sense of how they train but in the sense of fitting it into their life. Most of us have something to do full-time or a combination that makes our lives full time: family, work, school, etc. I see guys that are training all day and I wonder "how do you pay your bills?" I don't know, maybe some of those guys still live with their parents. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
guys from our gym tend to have a bjj base but our gym just merged with one of the top muay thai coaches in the world.
Mark Beecher?

Old 05-14-2016, 10:48 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,946,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I've always wondered how the guys who compete do it. Not in the sense of how they train but in the sense of fitting it into their life. Most of us have something to do full-time or a combination that makes our lives full time: family, work, school, etc. I see guys that are training all day and I wonder "how do you pay your bills?" I don't know, maybe some of those guys still live with their parents. LOL.

Mark Beecher?
The young pros I knew from my Sambo class were actually living with their instructor, basically it was a MMA incubator. It worked out because they got to practice all day and there was always somebody to roll with the amateur students (like me).

Old 05-15-2016, 12:51 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,798,746 times
Quote:
In many cases, they do. I played minor league baseball for a time, on a salary that most can't live on (at the time, it was $800/month). I simply couldn't afford to play any longer than I did, and easily over half of our team did indeed live with their parents.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Mark Beecher?
Yup Beecher is now the stand up coach at our gym
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or