U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:54 AM

3,276 posts, read 1,497,256 times

Advertisements

Lest we forget, this did happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 09:00 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
Mayweather would have a hard time getting close enough to land those type of shots in an octagon. A few good hard leg kicks would back him off real quick, he has never fought anybody in a situation where he had to worry about getting kicked in the head.
That's true. Being able to use your legs obviously confers a huge advantage.

It would be more interesting, though, to see a more athletic boxer in his prime step into the octagon after having had a few weeks of MMA training. This isn't to say that he'd enjoy success, but right now one of the few data points we have is a 42-year old James Toney who didn't even bother to learn any of the basics of MMA defenses.

Mayweather is (was) a quick SOB. He's the one boxer who I think would be excellent at evading takedowns using his feet. His biggest weakness, as I said before, is that he's not much of a flurry/combination puncher, so he'd easy to take down to the canvas.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Very true. A boxers power comes from his legs, mayweather would not show up to the 2nd round Bell if you spent 5 minutes of just leg kicks.
This is all speculative, but I couldn't see someone kicking away at Mayweather's legs if he had any inkling someone could actually do that. Mayweather has been a mongoose his entire career.

I think the strategy against Mayweather would be simply to bull right in and take him to the ground. He has enough "umph" on his punches to deter people from walking him down in a boxing ring, but obviously not enough to deter aggressive fighters from trying to roughhouse him.

This strategy would probably fail spectacularly against Roy Jones though. You would need to keep him out at a distance with kicks or successfully shoot and take him down. Anything in between is playing with your life. Roy could hit you with 6 right upper cuts and 3 left hooks before you would even have a chance to tie him up. And most people are going to be simply overwhelmed by his volume and power whether we're talking about boxing or MMA.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Boxing has been around and prevalent for 4x as long as mma (in its current iteration) that said, there's a pretty healthy amature circuit already and youth mma is coming along in the form of youth pancration. Pancreas is far far older than boxing but has been lost over time due to the growing popularity of "traditional" martial arts. I.e. Kung/gung fu jujutsu etc
Perhaps we'll see more fighters with an "MMA background" in years to come, but for now, most are wrestlers/kickboxers/boxers/BJJ gurus who develop certain skill sets much later in life (grappling, slipping punches, kicking, etc.). In boxing, you work on the same set of skills at every age. It's a matter of refining skills you learned in childhood rather than learning new ones.

That's why I say it's virtually impossible for someone doing BJJ for 17 years to all of a sudden pick up boxing and have success in the professional ranks. Much the same way a ballet dancer who's been "en pointe" for years has developed a lot of strength in her toes, ankles and surrounding tendons, boxers develop a lot of strength and bone/muscle density around their wrists. This is, of course, in addition to tons of other good habits and muscle memory one needs to develop over the years. And then the "sweet science" aspect of boxing is something altogether different.

In contrast, nearly everyone in MMA is coming from a different place, so the learning curve won't be as steep for an MMA novice.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:05 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,202,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
How you figure Mayweather isn't one punching anyone? He punches harder than McGregor, the supposed most dominant power puncher in MMA.

You completely underestimate hand skills and ability and movement.

Look at McGregor, he dominates primarily with boxing.

And I don't understand how you act as if boxers can't learn kicks. It's not that hard. I know how to kick with correct form. You either got balance and ability or you don't.

I mean, it's like any sport.

Now, I'll give you jujitsu. That takes a lot of time to learn, but if you know how to strike you can learn kicks pretty easily. I mean, checking kicks isn't exactly brain surgery. You just lift your leg up. Also, it's about angles. I see how McGregor does it. It's angles. In boxing, it's angles. Angles are everything in fighting unless you're a pure wrestler, and even then, I'm sure it's about angles.

I don't think you put enough emphasis on individual ability. It's like those stories that you hear where athletes come in to the jujitsu gym and within 2 weeks are dominating everyone.
that statement right there tells me you don't know what you're talking about.
Throwing a solid kick requires a totally different stance and footwork than boxing. You expect a guy who's boxed and used boxing stances/footwork since early childhood to all of a sudden be able change what's engrained in him to throw/avoid/check kicks?

Silly

Old 09-01-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
that statement right there tells me you don't know what you're talking about.
Throwing a solid kick requires a totally different stance and footwork than boxing. You expect a guy who's boxed and used boxing stances/footwork since early childhood to all of a sudden be able change what's engrained in him to throw/avoid/check kicks?

Silly
Man, you are way too biased. Is there only one way to kick?

Different kicks for different stances.

How do you know my balance better than I know my own?

Look at McGregor. He does plenty of TKD kicks. In the gym I was at, there was a world champion TKD kid that was tearing **** up with his feet. He didn't really know how to throw his hands, but his footwork was top notch, and he would come and angles, rotate, and bounce.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is all speculative, but I couldn't see someone kicking away at Mayweather's legs if he had any inkling someone could actually do that. Mayweather has been a mongoose his entire career.

I think the strategy against Mayweather would be simply to bull right in and take him to the ground. He has enough "umph" on his punches to deter people from walking him down in a boxing ring, but obviously not enough to deter aggressive fighters from trying to roughhouse him.

This strategy would probably fail spectacularly against Roy Jones though. You would need to keep him out at a distance with kicks or successfully shoot and take him down. Anything in between is playing with your life. Roy could hit you with 6 right upper cuts and 3 left hooks before you would even have a chance to tie him up. And most people are going to be simply overwhelmed by his volume and power whether we're talking about boxing or MMA.
While very old, it's very relevant.

https://youtu.be/rDXsfo8aoBI

Old 09-01-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Man, you are way too biased. Is there only one way to kick?

Different kicks for different stances.

How do you know my balance better than I know my own?
I've been training martial arts since I was about 5 years old, I'm in my 40s.
Yes there are different stances and styles of kicking, not a single kick with any power originates from a boxing stance. Your lead leg and body are not set properly to delive anything more than a mediocre kick, and your lead leg is to planted to check kicks. You're going to eat that front leg up in minutes

Old 09-01-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I've been training martial arts since I was about 5 years old, I'm in my 40s.
Yes there are different stances and styles of kicking, not a single kick with any power originates from a boxing stance. Your lead leg and body are not set properly to delive anything more than a mediocre kick, and your lead leg is to planted to check kicks. You're going to eat that front leg up in minutes
Not everyone is the same. I don't see how you can't see that.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Lest we forget, this did happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo
Tim Sylvia is a can. That dudes been garbage for years and years.

Maybe watch James toney bs randy couture. Check out art jimmerson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)