Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:53 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
could be fake news, but then thats what was said about the conor knockdown of paulie talk before video popped up too.

never know until you see things more first hand.
It is fake news. For one, the same exact story appeared before the Pacquiao fight. Two, the Las Vegas Post doesn't exist and no one can find record of any boxing reporter named Mario Saunders. Anyone believing this would probably believe a story from the Philadelphia Tribune that Michael Jordan is coming out of retirement to join the Golden State Warriors.

Even if the story were true, Zab Judah is a savvy veteran boxer with super hand speed, and Conor McGregor is not a savvy veteran boxer with super hand speed. I'm not sure why Zab Judah catching Mayweather with a punch would translate into McGregor being able to catch Mayweather with a punch. It would be like me thinking I have a chance at Kawhi Leonard because a retired, broken down Kobe Bryant gave him grief in a 1v1 game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 12:55 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,084,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It is irrelevant. The assertion was that McGregor can't get this type of money in an MMA bout. What other boxers make doesn't change that fact.

It's silly to use BLS data to make any points about compensation in professional sports because compensation is so bi-modal. A professional basketball player could be Kevin Durant or it could be a D-Leaguer. In boxing, a "pro" could be Manny Pacquiao or it could be some guy fighting in Tijuana for pesos.

To make an apples-to-apples comparison, you would take the Top 100 or so highest earning athletes in each sport and compare them.
silly argument

maybe go read up some of the boxing forums and such. there is a LOT of great info on boxer salaries.

some real world stuff.
kinda like this one
https://www.boxingforum24.com/thread...r-ways.425287/
https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=746147
my BLS post was directly from the boxingscene forums.

ricky hatton was making 3k a fight only a couple of years before fighting mayweather.
http://www.therichest.com/celebnetwo...ton-net-worth/
hatton made less fighting mayweather than brock lesner to come in and do a one time ufc fight vs hunt on roids.

career earnings
http://www.msn.com/en-my/money/topst...AgRz4Q#image=1

but what ever you say. have a great day, enjoy the fight. im out.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:07 PM

heres a very interesting breakdown of purses between the 2 sports. (though a bit outdated)

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/8/2...n-mma-fighters

Old 08-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
silly argument
It's not a silly argument. When people say "boxers get paid more," they are usually talking about the guys you might see on an undercard on HBO/Showtime, not guys you may have seen fight at your local arena in Texas. You could equally say that the median professional baseball player and the median busboy earn roughly the same thing, which is true since most professional baseball players don't play in Major League Baseball.

There are no boxers getting paid Mayweather-type money. But purses in boxing tend to be larger and the payout structure in boxing is more advantageous for fighters. That's how you wind up with guys like Robert Guerrero pulling in $1 million+ in a single night. All professional sports are top heavy when it comes to pay, but there are more top guys getting big paydays in boxing than there are in UFC.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
It's not a silly argument. When people say "boxers get paid more," they are usually talking about the guys you might see on an undercard on HBO/Showtime, not guys you may have seen fight at your local arena in Texas. You could equally say that the median professional baseball player and the median busboy earn roughly the same thing, which is true since most professional baseball players don't play in Major League Baseball.

There are no boxers getting paid Mayweather-type money. But purses in boxing tend to be larger and the payout structure in boxing is more advantageous for fighters. That's how you wind up with guys like Robert Guerrero pulling in $1 million+ in a single night. All professional sports are top heavy when it comes to pay, but there are more top guys getting big paydays in boxing than there are in UFC.
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...ero-net-worth/
he got 3 mil to fight floyd, which wa shis highest take ever and 3x his previous highest.
https://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/4/42...oyd-32-million

dudes net worth is 5 million. hes been boxing since 2001 as a pro. and was a title holder.
he would be someone along the lines of an eddie alvarez. former champion, still fighting though seemingly on the back end of his career. eddie of course hasnt got as many fights, (33 fights to guerreros 42)

eddies net worth is estimated around 8 million.
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...rez-net-worth/

eddie alvarez got 1 million plus ppv buys to fight conor. estimate is somewhere between 2 and 3 million for that fight.

but i know, next your going to say eddie just has a better financial adviser.

bottom line, while pay used to be a HUGE discrepancy, its really not terribly far off anymore.

guerrero's 2nd to last fight he lost to peralta. he got paid 500k, and peralta got paid 30k to win.
sounds very MMA type numbers to me

you can look at a guy like chuck liddell, he was making 1/2 million plus ppv buys back in 2006-2007. to lose to jardine and jackson.
while nothing can be confirmed, chuck was rumored to be earning 7 figures per fight for a while at that time.
he has a 14 million net worth.
andrei arlovski, another middle of the road, undercard type fighter (hasnt been a headliner in a decade) is making 1/4 million purse and has made as much as 1.5 purse plus ppv buys.

something else to think about in terms of money when comparing the 2. boxing has been around for a century. mma has been around in its current form for 20 years ish. mma is still a baby as far as sports go.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...ero-net-worth/
he got 3 mil to fight floyd, which wa shis highest take ever and 3x his previous highest.
https://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/4/42...oyd-32-million
Guerrero was getting $1 million+ as a certified tomato can to fight Danny Garcia. That's a damned good payday for a has-been fighter (at that point in his career) fighting against someone that few people would ever pay to see on PPV.

There are three reasons why boxers at the elite level of the sport make more than UFC fighters. First, the purses are larger. Second, they fight more often. Third, they get a larger cut than UFC fighters who see the lion's share of their winnings go to Dana White.

Quote:
something else to think about in terms of money when comparing the 2. boxing has been around for a century. mma has been around in its current form for 20 years ish. mma is still a baby as far as sports go.
This is true. Nobody has ever argued otherwise. The way we got into this discussion is that a couple of posters--myself included--said that Conor could not make this type of money in UFC. The "why" behind that doesn't really matter.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 08-16-2017 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 04:43 PM

This is the point I was making earlier.

Quote:
That's the issue. Boxing has no league like the UFC. Guys can fight on a card headlined by a big name at a point in their career where they might just be getting scouted by WSOF or Bellator. There's no equivalent to "UFC fighter" in boxing, but the numbers are the numbers. Boxing is paying more right now at all levels.
Quote:
It isn't important because that comparison is essentially just taking out the MMA fighters who drag the numbers down (like the 48% who got paid $1000 or less) while keeping the lower end of boxers. As I said, the comparison would only be useful if you made it between the UFC and the equivalent top boxers--who make more money.
Quote:
I would agree if mma didn't have a main avenue like boxing doesn't, but it does. Which makes the UFC seem like the pros and everything else seem like the minor leagues. My best example is no one adds in AFL or CFL numbers when talking about football. Individual sports, no one compares Web.com tour money to PGA tour money.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comment...hters_by_john/

Old 08-16-2017, 05:01 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,530,564 times
How much of a chunk is Dana White going to get out of this fight? Conor isn't keeping all that money. I would think Dana is keeping most of it though Conor should get quite a bit, but i keep hearing $100mil which i doubt Conor will actually take that much home.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Guerrero was getting $1 million+ as a certified tomato can to fight Danny Garcia. That's a damned good payday for a has-been fighter (at that point in his career) fighting against someone that few people would ever pay to see on PPV.

There are three reasons why boxers at the elite level of the sport make more than UFC fighters. First, the purses are larger. Second, they fight more often. Third, they get a larger cut than UFC fighters who see the lion's share of their winnings go to Dana White.

This is true. Nobody has ever argued otherwise. The way we got into this discussion is that a couple of posters--myself included--said that Conor could not make this type of money in UFC. The "why" behind that doesn't really matter.
Guerrero was 33-3 at that time. back end of his career for sure. much like chuck liddell was when fighting jardine and jackson, or moreso.
Guerrero was getting those checks becuase he was SOMEWHAT of a name, again like liddell, or say anderson silva recently. (maybe not as well known and silva but im sure you get the point) once a champion, fighting guys like mayweather, youre going to get SOME sort of payday until you retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
How much of a chunk is Dana White going to get out of this fight? Conor isn't keeping all that money. I would think Dana is keeping most of it though Conor should get quite a bit, but i keep hearing $100mil which i doubt Conor will actually take that much home.
dana/ufc is going to get something, but they are not promoting this. mcgregor productions along with mayweather productions and showtime are. conor is going to get more money than a purse and PPV buys simply for being the production company. hes already currently getting paid in sponsorship, advertising etc.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:35 AM

412 posts, read 301,693 times
Too bad COnor is not boxing against Canelo Alvarez or Golovkin. Mayweather is going "only" to humiliate him, but these two can send him to hospital ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)