U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Will it End?
Nunes - KO or TKO Win 15 45.45%
Rousey - Submission Win 14 42.42%
Fight Goes Full Rounds, Ends with Descision 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:57 AM

1,478 posts, read 552,625 times

Advertisements

Let's keep this 100.

Part of the sociological American issue revolving around Floyd Mayweather vs the former hero worship of Ronda Rousey goes back to the dawn of MMA and its racial undertones connected to the dejection resulting from years of failure to produce "The Great White Hope" in boxing.

Muhammad Ali drew anger because during his time it was taboo for a successful black man to be publicly boastful around whites and too their faces. But hope and desire, willingness to pay ($$) to see Ali loss, helped drive his financial success and media exposure. Floyd built upon similar principles in his boxing career. He was very active in participating in building his own media image. He was cognizant I believe of retired football players and former boxing professionals with either brain injuries with huge medical bills to pay or financial ruin after retirement. Plus, the Hip Hop generations celebrate loud mouth boasting, flashing money, arrogance, and ostentation.

Connor McGregor comes along and he is a media darling for bumping his gums arrogantly like Muhammad Ali or Floyd Mayweather. And he never spent the number of years building his professional record as Mayweather did. In fact, Mayweather began his vocational training in childhood under the tutelage of uncles and and father that were prize fighters themselves. So, the calories he burnt, the mental fortitude he put in were decades doing before a short Irishmen with a loud mouth named Connor ever popped up on the professional fighting seen.

MMA came on the seen and every never-could-make-it-as-a-professional-boxer white American guy began strutting around in the MMA world like they were Hulk Hogan. During the early MMA days few black men were involved in MMA, so, it became the halls and fortresses of Great White Hope emotions. This new school of martial arts totally dismissed and threw out the tradition of humility and respect for others that were long foundational teachings in Traditional Martial Arts. MMA even dismissed TMA as useless entirely in any fighting scenario.

But the early days of MMA had few very good strikers, few good hand strikers, involved in MMA. So, an illusion was developed that boxing skills were little needed. That somehow a grappler could always shoot for the legs, stay awake, and tap out their adversary. But once good strikers began showing up more and more in MMA it became more apparent to the Great White Hope crowd that sometimes a grappler can get knocked out knocked dizzy before taking an opponent to the mat.

Americans need to look up the term schizophrenia. The term can be used literarily outside of its strict medical definition. In a literary and philosophical sense it is a term denoting incompatible contradictions causing tension, frustration, and confusion in the mind of an individual.

Americans are schizophrenic about biological sex and gender identities and gender roles today. And the confused American pontificates from high thrones the virtue of chivalry instituted in the Middle Ages by a merger between the cultures of religious Catholicism with that of Germanic warrior culture (originally pagan). Where biological sex, gender indentities and gender roles were pretty clearly defined. Women did not become Army Rangers (knights) or participate in masculine gender roles like competing in the sport of boxing (albeit, Germanic tribes did not have sports boxing).

But so today in the American schizophrenic mind, even though gay male and lesbian marriages exist today in the USA, with male-on-male gay domestic violence far exceeding that of male-on-female heterosexual domestic violence, and lesbian doms beating up their lesbian sub girlfriends and wives, Americans cling to the 1950ish notion a man should not hit a woman. But they schizophrenically claim women are equal in all ways to men, that Ronda Rousey could defeat any man on earth no matter if he was Floyd Mayweather or a 7 foot 400 pounds male kick boxer that rode with the Outlaws 1%er motorcycle club. Then the American liberal Hollywood produces movies were some rail thin woman is super bad asses, the knight protecting her larger weaker husband, as she beats up big men. And almost every American schizophrenic Democrat today believes in this nonsense. But then they like to point to statistical outliers just like their Republican peers do (but in the latter's case for the lone few who supposedly "pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps" to become multi-millionaires).

The story of Floyd Mayweather's financial success also engenders envy and contempt by the average Joe's that have college degrees or some college education such as myself. Excepted, I don't envy Floyd nor hold him in contempt due to his greater success. Supposedly, Loyd has trouble reading, is functionally illiterate. And people call him stupid. But in fact the guy is in many ways smarter than myself and most other average people. He built himself, took charge of building his "brand," into becoming one of if not the top highest paid athlete of his time. He gambles more money away than I can dream of making in a lifetime. Yet, I suspect he will never impoverish himself like many average people winning a big lottery will do.

I don't justify Floyd punching women. But this is the year 2016. If the New American Religion claims to be soooooooo scientific (which connotes logical coherence and specificity) and righteous, and fair, then Floyd is no less a woman beater than a lesbian that physically batters her girlfriend or wife. But the modern American, no matter their biological sex, thinks only like a emotionally hysterical woman reciting some dogmatic versus she received from some aristocratic queen sitting on a throne in Hollywood or D.C., and has little to no critical thinking skills.

Donald Trump--and even Anne Wolfe--kind of destroy American PC dogmatic proclamations. Anne Wolfe being one, tough, bad a-- woman literally. Even she, while fully cognizant herself alone, and some other women with heart and skills, can whoop plenty of men, she acknowledges that their are differences between the biological sexes and a small female MMA woman like Ronda Rousey should not be thinking she can physically beat up top male combat sports Spartans like Floyd Mayweather or even a huge Hulk Hogan in his prime. I think Anne Wolfe intuitively grasps such schizophrenic PC claims that small women like Ronda can whoop any man on earth work more to hurt and discredit women than help women and professional women athletes.

Floyd not bashing Ronda Rousey after her first loss:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K14y9uJlJjo
FLOYD MAYWEATHER OFFERS TO HELP RONDA ROUSEY WITH HER BOXING SKILLS; SPEAKS IN-DEPTH ABOUT HER LOSS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 12:07 PM

1,478 posts, read 552,625 times
In terms of Ronda Rousey and her accomplishments.

I still regard Ronda Rousey as a champion. And I would address her as "champ" if I saw her. Both her and Amanda Nunes are champions. No one wins forever. Not if you fight forever because at some point your age will catch up with you. If not that then you will make a mistake at some point or simply a better fighter comes along.

These are the numbers of championship matches I have won in my life: 0

So, I neither player hate nor wish to take away the achievements of another, be they male or female, transsexual or non-binary, gay or straight, atheist or religious, black or white.

I really don't get people that call professional fighters "bums" especially if they (the professional fighter) have won even a single contest in their fighting career, let alone dozens or more especially a world title.

So, my views about unjust critics of Ronda (or Floyd) are akin to what Zab Judah says in this video about Freddie Roach calling him a bum.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYna-d6y8ZE

Old 01-03-2017, 12:34 PM

4,564 posts, read 3,793,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Connor Mcgregor made racial remarks about Nick Diaz. It's called professional banter to hype up a fight. Ali did it. It's all about creating a buzz, controversy, etc for the fight. This will generate interest and bring big PPV and gate #s.

I brought up pay since a lot of MMA fighters are trying to create super-fights for a big pay day. You have Connor trying to fight Floyd for a big pay day, etc. Floyd is one of the best defensive boxers and a savvy boxing promoter.

He is a woman beater yet the woman still flock to him. It says a lot about said woman. Also, none of us were there to witness the incident. How do we know the lady didn't instigate the fight?

There are a lot worse people than Floyd. Despicable Humans to me are serial killers, murders, arsonists, robbers, rapists, swindlers, etc. What Floyd did was bad yes but it doesn't make him a despicable human IMO.
Not to mention Ronda is dating Travis Browne, a man suspect to beating up his ex wife. And who was cheating on her with Ronda.

Ronda's hypocrisy is what many have issues with.

She talks crap about Mayweather, but is dating Travis Browne, and is cool with Tyson. Now Tyson's stuff is history, and he seems to be better. But Floyd may be the same. He may have never hit a woman after that incident, and even the incident itself, as stated, we don't know the details of what happened.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:09 PM

8,082 posts, read 5,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Not to mention Ronda is dating Travis Browne, a man suspect to beating up his ex wife. And who was cheating on her with Ronda.

Ronda's hypocrisy is what many have issues with.

She talks crap about Mayweather, but is dating Travis Browne, and is cool with Tyson. Now Tyson's stuff is history, and he seems to be better. But Floyd may be the same. He may have never hit a woman after that incident, and even the incident itself, as stated, we don't know the details of what happened.
Not suspected. His wife posted pictures of the bruising to her face. lol - i forgot about Travis.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:59 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Quote:
Connor Mcgregor made racial remarks about Nick Diaz. It's called professional banter to hype up a fight. Ali did it. It's all about creating a buzz, controversy, etc for the fight. This will generate interest and bring big PPV and gate #s.

I brought up pay since a lot of MMA fighters are trying to create super-fights for a big pay day. You have Connor trying to fight Floyd for a big pay day, etc. Floyd is one of the best defensive boxers and a savvy boxing promoter.

He is a woman beater yet the woman still flock to him. It says a lot about said woman. Also, none of us were there to witness the incident. How do we know the lady didn't instigate the fight?

There are a lot worse people than Floyd. Despicable Humans to me are serial killers, murders, arsonists, robbers, rapists, swindlers, etc. What Floyd did was bad yes but it doesn't make him a despicable human IMO.

7+ times from 5 different women, they all instigated the fights? With a professional fighter? He also plead no contest/guilty in more than 1 case.

Still waiting for an explanation as to what makes Ronda despicable...
so far all I've seen is Floyd makes money, his racist comments were just fight hype (even though they were made long before any fight was ever agreed to, and again after the fight happened) and mma fighters are following suit for a pay day.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 PM

8,082 posts, read 5,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
7+ times from 5 different women, they all instigated the fights? With a professional fighter? He also plead no contest/guilty in more than 1 case.

Still waiting for an explanation as to what makes Ronda despicable...
so far all I've seen is Floyd makes money, his racist comments were just fight hype (even though they were made long before any fight was ever agreed to, and again after the fight happened) and mma fighters are following suit for a pay day.
Again, why do women still want to be with him if he has that track record? Look at Ronda, she is dating Travis Browne whose ex-wife stated he was abusive and took pictures of the results of a beating he gave her. Some women like the "bad" boys.

I never stated Ronda was despicable. I stated she was delusional is stating that she could beat Floyd Mayweather. You are the one always using that term despicable .

Old 01-03-2017, 07:23 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Quote:
Again, why do women still want to be with him if he has that track record? Look at Ronda, she is dating Travis Browne whose ex-wife stated he was abusive and took pictures of the results of a beating he gave her. Some women like the "bad" boys.

I never stated Ronda was despicable. I stated she was delusional is stating that she could beat Floyd Mayweather. You are the one always using that term despicable .
My "despicable" comments are in response to someone else in this thread calling her despicable and a "poor excuse for a human being" because she's a bad loser.

You seemed to jump in on the conversation as an attack on mayweather. Andddd here we are.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:31 PM

1,947 posts, read 906,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Quite shocking Rhonda was defeated so fast that too by a TKO. I think this may be the end of her career. It's like Rhonda completely forgot how to move and dodge punches.

Simple. She just froze and was in danger of some serious injury if the ref did not stop the fight. Ronda was going through her mental battle already, then tried to fight her own demons all while fighting Nunes. Best advice for Ronda, get the head sorted first and foremost. For her own sake and nobody wants to see her lose her mind and do something unfortunate. She has all the signs. Get Ronda to quit the fight game forever. The fire is gone in her. No putting it back , when it is gone it is nearly impossible to return.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:44 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,138,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
It's funny you say that because Rousey went insane with power when she was winning. She thought she could beat Mayweather in a fight and even thought she had some sort of chance against Cain Velasquez. She also gave very little respect to her fellow fighters.
I recall this now and agree. Shows how quickly a winning streak can end badly.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:48 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,138,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Simple. She just froze and was in danger of some serious injury if the ref did not stop the fight. Ronda was going through her mental battle already, then tried to fight her own demons all while fighting Nunes. Best advice for Ronda, get the head sorted first and foremost. For her own sake and nobody wants to see her lose her mind and do something unfortunate. She has all the signs. Get Ronda to quit the fight game forever. The fire is gone in her. No putting it back , when it is gone it is nearly impossible to return.
It was a good stoppage. She looked very out of sorts right away. She has money and other options. I say call a press conference and retire. She went from sleeping in her car and working in a restaurant to a household name. She accomplished a lot already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)