Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Will it End?
Nunes - KO or TKO Win 15 45.45%
Rousey - Submission Win 14 42.42%
Fight Goes Full Rounds, Ends with Descision 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 12:42 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times

Advertisements

They fight in different weight classes. Ronda makes 145 if she doesn't cut weight. Major disadvantage for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 12:45 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Once again we're talking that 9% to maybe 1% of judoka with above average judo newaza in comparison to bjj.

I have a very close friend who trains at the OTC in Colorado, trust me, they're getting plenty of bjj there. Along with Sambo actually.
Its about a quarter in the UK. British judoka were heavily influenced by Neil Adams so newaza is still fairly popular here. It didn't completely go away in the 90s like elsewhere.

To a large extent the quality of newaza depends on country imho, Russian and Brazilian judoka have always retained high level newaza for instance.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:28 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
If Ronda sticks to her Judo submission then she wins but she will have her hands full with Amanda, She is a brown belt in Judo and black belt in Brazilian Jujitsu. Hopefully, Ronda doesn't try to stand with Amanda.

If she loses then i feel she might retire or request a scrub opponent to go out with a win.

If she wins then i hope they do the Cyborg vs Ronda fight. Cyborg would probably destroy Ronda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Everyone keeps talking about this. I think it's time to let that dream go. Ronda will not give Cyborg a fight. If she was going to, she would have by now. But no. If Cyborg can't make 135, then Ronda has no fight for her. And it's always been like that.

If Ronda wins, it'll be the same song and dance. "I'm the champ, she has to come to me." Cyborg has been calling Ronda out for the longest. But it'd have to be a catchweight at 140, or 145. And Ronda has always said 135.

This fight isn't going to happen, even if Ronda beats Nunes. If some wanna see her win just for a Cyborg fight, they'll be disappointed.Good to talk about. Probably not gonna happen.
cyborg failed a drug test on December 4th or 5th so pending the final results/decision she may be on the shelf for awhile regardless.

she was also offered not 1 but 2 title fights at 145, and turned them both down saying she cant make 145 lbs in 8 weeks, needs a minimum of 12 weeks. typically takes 60-90 days to fully cycle off PEDs coincidentally.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:51 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
cyborg failed a drug test on December 4th or 5th so pending the final results/decision she may be on the shelf for awhile regardless.

she was also offered not 1 but 2 title fights at 145, and turned them both down saying she cant make 145 lbs in 8 weeks, needs a minimum of 12 weeks. typically takes 60-90 days to fully cycle off PEDs coincidentally.
USADA does random drug testing. So she doesn't always know when she'll get tested. Not to mention, she addressed this on her instagram and twitter accounts.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOVlZ47A...-by=criscyborg

And she needed time to recover because her doctor told her she had to wait until March, because she is very sick from the weight cuts she did at 140. Her DOCTOR told her not to fight again until March. And she told Dana White that before he offered her those fights. Cyborg has high blood pressure, and her blood was so thick, the doctors couldn't draw any. She wasn't cleared to fight by her doctor. Those cuts damaged her body, and some of her organs. She's not just randomly turning down fights. Dana just didn't want to wait for her. And that's his choice, but he has no problem lying to make Cyborg look bad, because he doesn't want her in UFC anyway, and it doesn't help that she's not kissing his ass. But then again, unless you're McGregor, or Ronda, you can't expect much from Dana White. He lets those two, do damn near anything they want.

The vids from this user on youtube cover all this. I'll just post their channel. All the vids are there.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sdharristhrow/videos

Yes, Cyborg as been popped for steroids before. And when she was caught, she admitted to everything. But people need to let that go. Until she's outright caught and banned again for pure PEDs, then she's clean.

And, she is not the only fighter who has ever used something. Brock Lesner stays on something. And McGregor and Nate Diaz stated most fighters will be using something. Everyone just doesn't get caught. But for some reason, nobody can let go that Cyborg failed 1 drug test 6 years ago. People act like Cyborg is Fallon Fox -who really is a man fighting women.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:05 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
What she says is she started a recovery sept 26th and last 90days. So by her own math monday is the end of her treatment. She turned down an 8 week training camp and specifically said she couldn't make the 145 weight in that short time period.

She also has been notified of banned substance use, (even naming specifically what substance) thus she knew she was using banned substances to "recover"
She clearly didn't get preaproval or exemption (i.e. What guys get for TRT) so she knew she was "cheating"

(Side note, her suspension was 4 years ago not 6. And this isn't the first questionable test she's had since then)

Old 12-28-2016, 07:34 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
This event should be free. It's very lackluster. Now, UFC 205 was the best UFC card in history.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:55 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
This event should be free. It's very lackluster. Now, UFC 205 was the best UFC card in history.
I'm looking forward to Cruz vs Garbrandt. As for Ronda, I'm hoping that she has been convinced that she's not a boxer. If she gets it to the ground, it's Ronda all the way. I might be biased as she is a client, I appraised her house.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:41 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'm looking forward to Cruz vs Garbrandt. As for Ronda, I'm hoping that she has been convinced that she's not a boxer. If she gets it to the ground, it's Ronda all the way. I might be biased as she is a client, I appraised her house.
Did you see the Cruz/Cody interview on UFC? LOL - Cruz is a master at trash talk! Big ups for Cody and Dom for hyping the fight.

That will be an interesting fight! It can go either way.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:08 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
I am rooting for Amanda here. Seems she's very knowledgeable on Ronda

She says she doesn't expect Ronda to try and have a striking match with her. She thinks Ronda will strike just enough to be setting up for her clinch, and to grab her. She talked about hip control, and how Ronda does her tossing in a recent interview. She says she's got a breakdown vid her coach made of Ronda, in addition to taking things from the Holm fight. So I think Amanda isn't just gonna run out crazy, like some people think. She talks about 200, and saying how she's gotta keep her patience like she did there, and wait for her best moments. Unless pressure gets to her, then I don't think she'll pull a Zingano. But that's a big IF. I am sure many didn't expect Cat herself to pull that. Then Ronda has had knee surgery as well. And if Amanda decides to take advantage and attack that knee, it could buckle Ronda. That's what she did to Baszler -and it dropped her fast.

And Nunes is brown belt in Judo, and a black in BJJ. Now that brown is not comparable to an Olympian. But, Amanda can probably defend a bit better than many others Ronda has faced before. She had Holly on the ground once, and Holly got out of it and countered. So not outrageous to see Amanda having good defense.

Last edited by HappyRain; 12-29-2016 at 03:55 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 04:39 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,506 times
I watched Nunes losses and she looks like cr*p when she gets gassed.
If Ronda feels she is losing or cannot get anything going against Nunes, she'll have to slip and move to get into later rounds. If I had even a molecule of respect for her coach I would expect some kind of game plan. He's just a one trick pony and Nunes is with a Real club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)