U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Kids: Boxing or Wrestling?
Boxing 4 21.05%
Wrestling 15 78.95%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2016, 07:08 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,492,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
It's more fun to punch people in the head until they are unconscious, than to grab them my the crotch until they yell Uncle.
It's really not fun at all unless you're sadistic. That's a bully mentality. That's the type of mentality that you don't want in the boxing gym. Those are the guys that beat up novices and think they are tough.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 07:18 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,492,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Good points, thanks! And that Jiu-Jitsu camp sounds cool...You're from Phoenix too, right? Could u post or PM me the link about that Jiu-Jitsu summer camp?

Edit: And I'm not sure what all is entailed at the Boxing club, the one I'm looking at is Rodriguez Boxing Club on the corner of Roosevelt and 15th Ave.
Don't put your kid in boxing. Most boxing gyms emphasize too much hard sparring. That level of sparring is unnecessary and often counterproductive.

Honestly, I don't think hard sparring has any place in the amateur boxing scene. That's what the fight is for. Sparring should be utilized to work on speed, reflexes, counterpunching ability, and strategy.

You don't need to go into sparring with the intention of knocking your opponents head off, but too many of these kids have that mentality, and it starts with the coach.

Also, you won't find many coaches that know what the hell they are doing. They just don't understand the fundamentals. It's hard to teach someone boxing unless you know how to perform it on a high level from a skill perspective. That doesn't mean the coach has to be athletic, but he has to understand things like balance, footwork, and how to punch. Unless you have learned that to the point to where it's almost an innate characteristic, you won't be able to teach it to your students.

Whatever you decide to do, be careful. Wrestling can result in torn ligaments and things of that nature. Plus, be cognizant of how they have your son work his neck. The traditional methods are quite contraindicated.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:33 PM

278 posts, read 931,320 times
Wrestling, by far the greatest sport ever! What art can go 100% every time during practice to see if what you know really works?! Wrestling! Many good MMA guys add the boxing in after a good wrestling background. Wrestling also installs many good habits such as discipline, hard work ethic, mental toughness, etc. One of the oldest combat sports in history!!!

Old 11-18-2016, 06:23 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,790,528 times
Quote:
My son is 7 and has expressed an interest in getting into either Boxing or Wrestling...I think it's great, for a lot of reasons and plan to get him started...But which do you think would be better for a 7 year old, Boxing or Wrestling, and why?
Between the two, I recommend wrestling. Don't get me wrong, any sport is good (in my opinion), and those are two great ones. But wrestling is "safer"; you're not risking sharp blows, and that's something I'd value in someone's first athletic activity, especially if they're a child.

Quote:
I may just well do both, but I will probably start him with one and then transition to the other (just to not be paying both memberships at the same time)...

I have heard from a few people that boxing may not be such a good idea for a kid due to all of the hits (eventually) taken to the head may possibly cause some kind of head trauma or maybe even slight brain damage on a child's developing brain. Do you think there is legitimate cause for concern regarding this?
It's possible to be hurt participating in any sport, but yes, I'd suggest that boxing would near the top of the list. Wrestling is sort of up there as well, but as I mentioned, I wouldn't consider it quite as much of a sharp health hazard.

Quote:
Good points, thanks! And that Jiu-Jitsu camp sounds cool...You're from Phoenix too, right? Could u post or PM me the link about that Jiu-Jitsu summer camp?

Edit: And I'm not sure what all is entailed at the Boxing club, the one I'm looking at is Rodriguez Boxing Club on the corner of Roosevelt and 15th Ave.
I also used to live in Phoenix. If jiu-jitsu is an option for you and your child, I highly recommend Gracie Arizona....that's where I studied. The owner/head instructor studied under Relson, and the other instructors are fantastic as well (there is ONE that's a little tough, but he doesn't work with the kids). They do a REALLY great job with the kids' program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
It's more fun to punch people in the head until they are unconscious, than to grab them my the crotch until they yell Uncle.
Sure, if you assume they don't hit back.

This is a child, and one who has never done any of this before. If he wants to hit things later, he can do so when he's a bit more mature and has a better understanding of the risks involved.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:26 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,790,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Whatever you decide to do, be careful. Wrestling can result in torn ligaments and things of that nature. Plus, be cognizant of how they have your son work his neck. The traditional methods are quite contraindicated.
Also, this.

Just because I said wrestling is safer doesn't mean that there aren't risks involved with it as well. Any kind of combat sport/martial art is going to have more risks than, say, distance running. And I mangled the bejeezus out of my neck in jiu-jitsu. Previous sports had their contribution as well, I'm sure, but suffice to say that the risks are there.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:32 AM

25,310 posts, read 41,385,436 times
Wrestling is safer than boxing, in my opinion...

Just one reference:

'Children should avoid boxing': Doctors cite rising injury rates to launch fresh attack on the sport | Daily Mail Online
By Daily Mail Reporter, 29 August 2011

Old 06-12-2017, 03:38 AM

282 posts, read 120,650 times
Wrestling is probably the best base, plus a lot less risk of traumatic brain injuries.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:03 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,162 times
I have to say wrestling because it's safer. Boxing is a very hard sport to train for. You definitely have to be in shape to be a boxer.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:25 PM

2,877 posts, read 3,299,883 times
Wrestlng. Or judo/bjj.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:39 PM

8,082 posts, read 5,282,893 times
I would say Brazilian Jujitsu from ages 6 to 12. (Hopefully, he will have a high rank before entering High School). He will benefit since his body is very limber.

I would then put him in Muay Thai from 12 on-wards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or