U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Kids: Boxing or Wrestling?
Boxing 4 21.05%
Wrestling 15 78.95%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2016, 10:28 PM

870 posts, read 895,224 times

Advertisements

My son is 7 and has expressed an interest in getting into either Boxing or Wrestling...I think it's great, for a lot of reasons and plan to get him started...But which do you think would be better for a 7 year old, Boxing or Wrestling, and why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 07:12 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
My son is 7 and has expressed an interest in getting into either Boxing or Wrestling...I think it's great, for a lot of reasons and plan to get him started...But which do you think would be better for a 7 year old, Boxing or Wrestling, and why?
wrestling.
boxing is fine, but wrestling from a self defense stand point would be more effective.

or better yet, why not both?

Old 10-15-2016, 08:48 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,668,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
wrestling.
boxing is fine, but wrestling from a self defense stand point would be more effective.

or better yet, why not both?
Yes I concur. Why not both?

Old 10-17-2016, 04:14 PM

I may just well do both, but I will probably start him with one and then transition to the other (just to not be paying both memberships at the same time)...

I have heard from a few people that boxing may not be such a good idea for a kid due to all of the hits (eventually) taken to the head may possibly cause some kind of head trauma or maybe even slight brain damage on a child's developing brain. Do you think there is legitimate cause for concern regarding this?

Old 10-17-2016, 05:59 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,570,578 times
Wresting. Fewer brain deterioration issues when he gets into middle and older age.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
I may just well do both, but I will probably start him with one and then transition to the other (just to not be paying both memberships at the same time)...

I have heard from a few people that boxing may not be such a good idea for a kid due to all of the hits (eventually) taken to the head may possibly cause some kind of head trauma or maybe even slight brain damage on a child's developing brain. Do you think there is legitimate cause for concern regarding this?
how many boxers are articulate and well spoken at later life?
some, not a ton. lol

Old 10-19-2016, 08:49 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times
If there is a boxing program for kids that is involving live head punched it is a bad program. A lot of the ones I've seen focus of throwing, guarding, feints, movement angles, etc

A lot will come down to the kid though. My daughter has done taekwondo for two years and my son has no interest. I put them into a jiu-jitsu camp this summer and my son loved it and my daughter had no interest

Old 10-19-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
If there is a boxing program for kids that is involving live head punched it is a bad program. A lot of the ones I've seen focus of throwing, guarding, feints, movement angles, etc

A lot will come down to the kid though. My daughter has done taekwondo for two years and my son has no interest. I put them into a jiu-jitsu camp this summer and my son loved it and my daughter had no interest
Good points, thanks! And that Jiu-Jitsu camp sounds cool...You're from Phoenix too, right? Could u post or PM me the link about that Jiu-Jitsu summer camp?

Edit: And I'm not sure what all is entailed at the Boxing club, the one I'm looking at is Rodriguez Boxing Club on the corner of Roosevelt and 15th Ave.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:09 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,968,808 times
It's more fun to punch people in the head until they are unconscious, than to grab them my the crotch until they yell Uncle.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
It's more fun to punch people in the head until they are unconscious, than to grab them my the crotch until they yell Uncle.
better to pick someone up and dump them on their head and walk away then to punch someone in the head, break a hand, get dumped on your head and hte other guy walks away with you unconscious, and a broken hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or