U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 10:48 PM

17,254 posts, read 10,183,539 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but why would anyone these days think traditional and ancient martial arts is anywhere near effective in combat/street fight as a MMA fighter? Some of these people need to get with the times.

I understand there's a lot of tradition, history, and myth about martial arts in many countries.

But anyone that's remotely familiar with martial arts knows that traditional martial arts was exposed for its weakness in real street fighting scenarios back in 1993 when the first UFC was held. Royce Gracie turned the entire martial arts world up on its head as his superior grappling and ground technique bamboozled martial arts fighters left and right.

The fact is that even a person trained in traditional boxing can beat a black belt in martial arts of many decades experience.

Tai chi v MMA: The 20-second fight that left China reeling - BBC News

Quote:
Xu Xiaodong turned the Chinese martial arts community on its head two weeks ago with his highly controversial fight against Wei Lei, a master of the ancient art of tai chi.

The long-awaited showcase battle was intended to prove whether tai chi could really be a match for the modern, highly aggressive fighting discipline of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RW_vgmPsNM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 12:21 AM

32,439 posts, read 26,308,370 times
tai chi is the basis for asian martial arts, but it is more about centering the mind and body, and getting them to work in synch with each other, and preparing the way to learn more aggressive martial arts like the various forms of kung fu or the various forms of karate.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 2,221 times
That's not surprising at all. Tai Chi isn't really a combat art (as far as I know). I think part of it has to do with the fact that you could sell martial arts without proving their effectiveness before. Now we have an idea what works.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:17 PM

6,555 posts, read 9,068,716 times
What was the Tai Chi person's fight record before this fight?

I'd like to see more Tai Chi fighters with some fighting experience before I decide how effective Tai Chi is or isn't.

Last edited by Motion; 06-28-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 10:05 PM

Some Tai Chi applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc4YKgNpyBc

Old 07-03-2017, 01:25 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,025,555 times
No single martial art including BJJ, generic 'MMA', wrestling, boxing etc., is the end-all, be-all. The application of any fighting discipline depends heavily on the environment it's being used. MMA/grappling styles may be effective in a one-on-one street fight, but not if you're dealing with more than one opponent or are in a situation where you can't afford to be on the ground for extended periods.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:20 PM

12,941 posts, read 19,335,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

That is the furthest thing from Taijiquan I think I've ever seen ... looks like a bunch of schoolyard kids fooling around.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:22 PM

295 posts, read 323,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
No single martial art including BJJ, generic 'MMA', wrestling, boxing etc., is the end-all, be-all. The application of any fighting discipline depends heavily on the environment it's being used. MMA/grappling styles may be effective in a one-on-one street fight, but not if you're dealing with more than one opponent or are in a situation where you can't afford to be on the ground for extended periods.
Ok, you don't know much about MMA nor fighting vs. multiple opponents. Please stop.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

That is the furthest thing from Taijiquan I think I've ever seen ...
Can you find another video demonstrating how experienced Taijiquan fighters look when actually fighting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)