Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 08:10 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,397,625 times

Advertisements

In case of aggression or street struggle can judo techniques are really effective since the two parts are without judogi.
Any opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 08:47 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
In case of aggression or street struggle can judo techniques are really effective since the two parts are without judogi.
Any opinion?
Depends on how good you are, and the situation. Especially the situation. Most fights require you to hit someone, even if it is just to distract them. And in a street fight, you stay of the floor.

I would not study Judo for self defense.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:36 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
I would say MMA would be best for personal defense. You learn useful types of martial arts. Boxing, kickboxing, grappling and Brazilian jujitsu. You also need to work on conditioning (aerobic and anaerobic exercises)

Right now, i box and kickbox at the gym on a heavy bag. I am trying to find an ok gym that i can learn more in-depth and do some sparring. (i live in NYC so that is a challenge)

Old 06-12-2018, 05:09 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
Having trained in judo since age 11, I have used it twice in self defence:

The first time I was kneeling in the school changing room and was jumped on from behind. The kid started to punch me in my head so I threw him with morote seoi nage. He fractured his ankle on a heating pipe and I was suspended from school.

The second time I was walking across a field to the neighbouring estate when two kids from the local council estate came up from behind and kicked me to the floor. I got to my knees grabbed the kid nearest and threw him with kata guruma, he landed on his head and started fitting. I **** myself thinking i'd caused brain damage but luckily he came around in a couple of minutes. Since then i've avoided fighting outside the dojo

So yes it does work, but you risk criminal prosecution.

Plus I would add some basic boxing to it.

Last edited by archineer; 06-12-2018 at 05:20 PM..

Old 06-19-2018, 12:43 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
yes judo can be used in self defense as archineer noted so nicely. as with anything though, when you use something in self defense, you ALWAYS risk criminal prosecution, as well as civil prosecution.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 4,814 times
I'd be concerned about how close you have to get to someone in Judo to use it in a street fight. There could be weapons involved. I still think learning a good 1-2 in boxing and then being in good enough shape to run fast is the best self defense.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsnorio View Post
I'd be concerned about how close you have to get to someone in Judo to use it in a street fight. There could be weapons involved. I still think learning a good 1-2 in boxing and then being in good enough shape to run fast is the best self defense.
That is why you would use a Judo move, because they are close/already grabbed you.

Judo is great for self defense, a lot of self defense situations are not punch, but grabbing/restraining. Judo can be effective is defending against such and giving you an opportunity to flee to safety.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:20 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsnorio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That is why you would use a Judo move, because they are close/already grabbed you.

Judo is great for self defense, a lot of self defense situations are not punch, but grabbing/restraining. Judo can be effective is defending against such and giving you an opportunity to flee to safety.
100%, most fights end up in grappling range. Yes boxing training I'm sure gives one an advantage over 95% of the population, but I don't think "learning a good 1-2" and running is necessarily best for self defense. I mean, you better your hope the ole "1-2" is good enough to stop the guy so you'll be able to run. If someone bigger and stronger than you charges you, survives your punches (i.e., doesn't get knocked out) and grabs you, and you don't have grappling training, then you're screwed.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:35 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
100%, most fights end up in grappling range.
Not in my experience (which is limited).

Having sometimes worked in my Grandfathers restaurant, I have seen too many fights. The only time I have ever seen fights ending in grappling range is when one or both of the people do not know how to fight; or when one of them does and needs to end the fight because that is their job (such as police and bar security).

Quote:
Yes boxing training I'm sure gives one an advantage over 95% of the population, but I don't think "learning a good 1-2" and running is necessarily best for self defense.
Why? Best is what works.

Quote:
I mean, you better your hope the ole "1-2" is good enough to stop the guy so you'll be able to run. If someone bigger and stronger than you charges you, survives your punches (i.e., doesn't get knocked out) and grabs you, and you don't have grappling training, then you're screwed.
As I said earlier, it depends on the situation. Are your arms pinned, can you use your head against their nose, or stick your fingers in their eyes? I agree it is useful to know, but I would say half the fights I have seen never got to the grappling stage.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:40 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Not in my experience (which is limited).

Having sometimes worked in my Grandfathers restaurant, I have seen too many fights. The only time I have ever seen fights ending in grappling range is when one or both of the people do not know how to fight; or when one of them does and needs to end the fight because that is their job (such as police and bar security).

Why? Best is what works.

As I said earlier, it depends on the situation. Are your arms pinned, can you use your head against their nose, or stick your fingers in their eyes? I agree it is useful to know, but I would say half the fights I have seen never got to the grappling stage.
Listen I am no expert AT ALL, have not been in any fights, and am super new to martial arts training. We're just a couple of dudes here on the internet speculating. But isn't that what what us internet posters do best?

Anyway, you used the word "best", so I was responding to that. If "best" has your definition above, then of course there can be multiple bests, I won't argue with that.

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a bunch of street fight videos online where people with boxing skills just wreck people. Not sure whether that would be my #1 choice though if we're talking about a single art for self defense.

If I'm being purely objective, I think judo might be better for self-defense because it prepares you better for a worst-case scenario (i.e., someone bigger, stronger, and more aggressive attacks you - the person who's more likely to get in close). The thing with boxing is you have a bladed stance, which renders you vulnerable to getting tackled.

However, if I had to pick between Judo and boxing for myself to train I'd probably pick boxing because it seems more fun. I also imagine you get more usable skills after 6 months of training it than you would Judo (I could be wrong though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)