U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 12:01 AM

6,551 posts, read 9,065,861 times

Advertisements

When it comes to defending against punches what approach do you find most effective?

This guy isn't big on using traditional martial arts blocks. He prefers covering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j_l...ist=WL&index=2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 12:13 AM

I like the covering approach. It seems like something that the average person can do against an aggressive attacker. Boxing slips are used in mma but they seem like they require more practice and skill.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:35 PM

295 posts, read 323,469 times
There's no clear answer, like he's trying to imply that there is and his way is better. He's speaking from a grappler's standpoint (as he's a BJJ Black Belt). He wants to close the distance and grapple, not throw hands.

The block he's against, looks like what the Krav Magoos do, with the 2 hands. If you suck at fighting and very weak, ie. a woman, old, and old woman, etc.....then this is probably your best bet, otherwise the goofy, untrained haymaker may power it's way through a 1 handed block. This is what Krav Magoo teaches to their Noobs....also, it's a component of their "360 whateverthefreak"...where this is also how they disarm guns, knives, etc.

Now if you cover, like he's saying, then you're still eating most of the impact of those punches. Someone my size and skill level will hurt me if I covered like that. So doing this is banking on my grappling skills once I get close. Someone good would start moving while punching to not let me get close enough to grapple, and pick the holes that this cover leaves open.

The block he's against can also work with 1 hand, which is harder to pull off, but much better b/c your other hand is free. You usually have to time it right, although not needing to be perfect.....as the punch comes & you meet it near it's point of maximum impact (which is your face), it will stop it from hitting you. Too early or too late and you will eat some or most of it. The weaker you are vs. the other guy, then the better your timing needs to be.

There's also the grabbing the ear cover with elbow high and pointed at attackers (and you may get lucky elbowing him in the face should he moves forward hard). This is a much better cover vs. bare knuckles, but your whole body is open.

There are no perfect techniques and they all have their pros & cons. This is how we teach noobs, to cover and to block. In the UFC, when someone's covering like he's advocating, then they're usually about to be knocked the F out. This is like the panic move. IMO, it's better to block first and if you're getting F'ed up anyway....you will cover automatically, pretty much.....as you're about to get KTFO.

Slips are for higher levels. But lets face it, if I'm fighting Mike Tyson in a street fight, I wouldn't slip ****....I'd be covering in panic....so the answer is, there's no answer and this guy is not an expert on striking....he may be good at BJJ but not striking.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 PM

17,241 posts, read 10,169,578 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGZQ7y5U9Go

Old 07-15-2018, 08:57 AM

295 posts, read 323,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Well this video showed that the gun only helped because there was a 2nd person with one.

If she was alone with her gun, then she'd eat this exact haymaker that the OP was talking about needing training to block (in the video). And if she didn't get KTFO, how fast do you think she could've drawn her gun before the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. haymakers came by.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:59 AM

2,877 posts, read 3,299,883 times
don't get hit

Old 07-15-2018, 05:25 PM

2,695 posts, read 985,647 times
man everybody's such a ****ing smartass in these forums

Old 07-17-2018, 02:37 PM

2,877 posts, read 3,299,883 times
No, only me.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:55 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,793,893 times
Run Forrest Run!!!

Old 07-18-2018, 02:33 PM

Here are some defense options against the jab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvna...ist=WL&index=4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or