U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 08:12 AM

2,696 posts, read 987,386 times

Advertisements

Holloway vs. any of the top 5 is a great fight. However, I think the size of Ferguson and Khabib would likely prove too much for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 06:24 PM

535 posts, read 471,350 times
So it sounds like we are getting Holloway vs Poirier for an interim title.

Got to be honest, I am not a fan of the way the UFC is handling this division.

Dana says they offered Tony Ferguson the Holloway fight first and he turned it down. Can't say I blame him (though I have to say that would have been a spectacular fight), he already won one interim title and then was stripped after getting hurt while fulfilling his media obligations. Who is to say that they wouldn't pass him over again even if he wins? Say McGregor beats Cowboy and then wants a rematch with Khabib, you know Dana would do it in a heartbeat and too bad for whoever had that interim title.

But my main issue is the fact that they are letting Khabib hold the division up. They should not have let McGregor get away with it, nor should they with Khabib. He is eligible to come back as soon as April if he cooperates with the athletic commission, but is refusing to fight until November when his teammates that jumped into the cage and attacked McGregor are eligible. If he wants to do that for his own reasons, fine, but the title should be considered vacated at that point IMO. He is not hurt, he is just siting out out of some sense of pride. Personally I would have told him to sign to fight Ferguson for the title in April or May or consider it vacated, they have to send a message to these guys that they are not allowed to hold up a division for a year or more, especially when they are perfectly healthy.

So disagreement with the handling aside....who do you think wins? Holloway is just so improved since the last time he fought Poirier, I have a hard time imagining him losing this one, gonna guess Max by TKO in the 4th.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
So it sounds like we are getting Holloway vs Poirier for an interim title.

Got to be honest, I am not a fan of the way the UFC is handling this division.

Dana says they offered Tony Ferguson the Holloway fight first and he turned it down. Can't say I blame him (though I have to say that would have been a spectacular fight), he already won one interim title and then was stripped after getting hurt while fulfilling his media obligations. Who is to say that they wouldn't pass him over again even if he wins? Say McGregor beats Cowboy and then wants a rematch with Khabib, you know Dana would do it in a heartbeat and too bad for whoever had that interim title.

But my main issue is the fact that they are letting Khabib hold the division up. They should not have let McGregor get away with it, nor should they with Khabib. He is eligible to come back as soon as April if he cooperates with the athletic commission, but is refusing to fight until November when his teammates that jumped into the cage and attacked McGregor are eligible. If he wants to do that for his own reasons, fine, but the title should be considered vacated at that point IMO. He is not hurt, he is just siting out out of some sense of pride. Personally I would have told him to sign to fight Ferguson for the title in April or May or consider it vacated, they have to send a message to these guys that they are not allowed to hold up a division for a year or more, especially when they are perfectly healthy.

So disagreement with the handling aside....who do you think wins? Holloway is just so improved since the last time he fought Poirier, I have a hard time imagining him losing this one, gonna guess Max by TKO in the 4th.
In this case I don't think the UFC is mishandling the division. While I totally understand where Tony's coming from, I think he misfired by refusing to take the fact against Holloway.

However, what I think Tony should do now is stay active and fight Al Iaquinta. Who says no to that?!! That would be a great fight.

As for my prediction, it's a close call. But I'm going to join you in your prediction of a Holloway TKO in the 4th round.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:52 AM

Tony VS Iaquinta would be fantastic and I haven't given up on hope that he may change his mind and step in if Holloway or Poirier get injured in the lead up. He seems more interested in McGregor and I don't blame him. But McGregor doesn't seem to want any part of it. Don't blame Tony one bit for wanting the payday, but I also think McGregor is one of the more dangerous lightweights out there for him. I think Tony would be a slight favorite and wins easily if he gets it to the ground. But McGregor does have one shot knockout power and very precise counterpunches. Not a good mix with Tony's tendency to drop his guard while attacking. Overall I think it's a risky fight for both guys and could really go either way.

I agree though, Iaquinta makes the most sense now for Ferguson. He has faced and beaten most of the other top ranked guys, it is a fight he probably wins, and helps cement him further as the #1 contender. I just hope to see him active soon because his fights are always so fun to watch.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:50 PM

Lot going on in this division lately.

Khabib vs Poirier is set for September. You can't count Poirier out, but I think Khabib is just going to be too much. Short of Poirier somehow just landing a flush knockout shot, Khabib is likely going to be 28-0.

Ferguson vs Cowboy was crazy good and a shame that it was cut short, but I'm kind of glad. I love Cowboy, but I think he would have just gotten lumped and sliced up even worse in a third round. Ferguson's pace and conditioning is just insane and the main reason I think he is the only legitimate threat to Khabib in the division. He was just picking Cowboy apart by the end of the second and you could see Cowboy gassing out trying to keep up.

Gaethje is pushing for a McGregor fight, but I doubt Conor takes it. I don't see McGregor fighting soon unless he thinks he can beat Ferguson (who he has noticeably avoided). If he does, that could put him in line for the next shot at Khabib, but I think Tony's mix of cardio and ground game is something Conor would rather avoid. My guess is that Cowboy fights Gaethje next. Iaquinta vs Barboza is another fight that makes sense.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
Lot going on in this division lately.

Khabib vs Poirier is set for September. You can't count Poirier out, but I think Khabib is just going to be too much. Short of Poirier somehow just landing a flush knockout shot, Khabib is likely going to be 28-0.

Ferguson vs Cowboy was crazy good and a shame that it was cut short, but I'm kind of glad. I love Cowboy, but I think he would have just gotten lumped and sliced up even worse in a third round. Ferguson's pace and conditioning is just insane and the main reason I think he is the only legitimate threat to Khabib in the division. He was just picking Cowboy apart by the end of the second and you could see Cowboy gassing out trying to keep up.

Gaethje is pushing for a McGregor fight, but I doubt Conor takes it. I don't see McGregor fighting soon unless he thinks he can beat Ferguson (who he has noticeably avoided). If he does, that could put him in line for the next shot at Khabib, but I think Tony's mix of cardio and ground game is something Conor would rather avoid. My guess is that Cowboy fights Gaethje next. Iaquinta vs Barboza is another fight that makes sense.
Iím not sure Conor can handle anyone in the top 5 at this point (minus Cowboy, I think Conor takes that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)