U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:42 PM

2,695 posts, read 986,379 times

Advertisements

With the Poirier v. Alvarez match on the books now, here's where I hope we end up next:

1. Khabib v. Conor, to defend the belt, hopefully in October or November.
2. Tony Ferguson v. Justin Poirier, preferably on the same card as Khabib v. Conor, and the winner gets the title shot.

However, it probably depends on the status of Ferguson's recovery. I know Kevin Lee is also out there in the mix. If Ferg isn't good to go yet, I wouldn't mind seeing Lee v. Poirier. In that event, Ferg could fight the loser of Khabib v. Conor to earn the title shot (hardly seems like justice I know), while the winner of Lee v. Poirier would get the first chance at taking the title from the winner of Khabib-Conor.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 05:01 PM

8,083 posts, read 5,285,220 times
That would be a tough fight for Conor.

Khabi would use his sambo and gas him out.

I want to see a rematch between Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo. It was BS of the UFC not to grant Jose and immediate rematch after the fight but gave Conor and immediate rematch to Nate after his loss.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
That would be a tough fight for Conor.

Khabi would use his sambo and gas him out.

I want to see a rematch between Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo. It was BS of the UFC not to grant Jose and immediate rematch after the fight but gave Conor and immediate rematch to Nate after his loss.
I'd put my money on Khabib as well. I actually think Ferguson would have better odds than Conor.

I don't see McGregor cutting to featherweight to face Aldo. Even if Aldo moved up to lightweight, I don't think the UFC is interested in a rematch between those two because it's probably not a big-money fight compared to other opponents McGregor could face (Khabib, Ferguson, Holloway, Diaz, GSP).

Besides, Aldo-McGregor isn't going to be interesting at this point. Aldo, despite his recent win, still isn't prime Aldo. If he faces Conor, he'll lose. I'd rather see a matchup that represents an unknown quantity.

Last edited by Valhallian; 07-29-2018 at 07:59 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I'd put my money on Khabib as well. I actually think Ferguson would have better odds than Conor.

I don't see McGregor cutting to featherweight to face Aldo. Even if Aldo moved up to lightweight, I don't think the UFC is interested in a rematch between those two because it's probably not a big-money fight compared to other opponents McGregor could face (Khabib, Ferguson, Holloway, Diaz, GSP).

Besides, Aldo-McGregor isn't going to be interesting at this point. Aldo, despite his recent win, still isn't prime Aldo. If he faces Conor, he'll lose. I'd rather see a matchup that represents an unknown quantity.
Aldo has a huge Brazilian following. They can do an Irish vs Brazil match up.

Jose is 31. Conor is 30.

Also is still in his prime.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Jose is 31. Conor is 30.

31 isn't that old for a fighter, but Aldo has a lot of mileage on him, and it shows. He had a great liver shot against Stephens, and is still a top featherweight, but he still isn't what he used to be.

Everybody's different, some guys age out faster than others due to genetic determination of their physical peak years, others simply take on more wear and tear at a younger age. Mike Tyson peaked at 19 through his early twenties, and by his thirties he was over the hill. Lennox Lewis, who was the same age didn't prime until much later and was in his prime during his early 30s. They're the same age, but their bodies followed different trajectories.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
31 isn't that old for a fighter, but Aldo has a lot of mileage on him, and it shows. He had a great liver shot against Stephens, and is still a top featherweight, but he still isn't what he used to be.

Everybody's different, some guys age out faster than others due to genetic determination of their physical peak years, others simply take on more wear and tear at a younger age. Mike Tyson peaked at 19 through his early twenties, and by his thirties he was over the hill. Lennox Lewis, who was the same age didn't prime until much later and was in his prime during his early 30s. They're the same age, but their bodies followed different trajectories.
Mike Tyson went downhill due to his training being handle by Don King. He was a monster with Cus D'Amato and the trainer after Cus. When that trainer died, Tyson was on his own and his training suffered.

Aldo deserves another rematch vs Conor. He defended and kept his belt various times. Conor never defended his belts so there should be a GOAT asterik next to his name if he retires without even defending his belts. If he loses to Khabib that would expose him and put his legacy at risk.

Nate Diaz is a duffus for waiting to fight Conor again so he can get paid. After the 1st fight, he could have built his own brand and went after the belt.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Mike Tyson went downhill due to his training being handle by Don King. He was a monster with Cus D'Amato and the trainer after Cus. When that trainer died, Tyson was on his own and his training suffered.

Aldo deserves another rematch vs Conor. He defended and kept his belt various times. Conor never defended his belts so there should be a GOAT asterik next to his name if he retires without even defending his belts. If he loses to Khabib that would expose him and put his legacy at risk.

Nate Diaz is a duffus for waiting to fight Conor again so he can get paid. After the 1st fight, he could have built his own brand and went after the belt.
I'll have you know that you just sent me on an internet deep dive on Cus D'Amato. Kind of got a little emotional watching some of Tyson's interviews talking about him, it's an interesting what-if to think about, whether Tyson would have gotten into as much trouble as he did later on if Cus had been around.

Agree re: Nate Diaz. If you're a fighter, you should fight. Plain and simple. If he sits around forever waiting for Conor, he'll eventually just become unmarketable. At least, that's my opinion.

I know you want Aldo-McGregor, but the fact is, I don't think Conor or the UFC really has an interest in it. Aldo would also have to move up a weight class. I don't see McGregor being keen on going all skeletal again.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I'll have you know that you just sent me on an internet deep dive on Cus D'Amato. Kind of got a little emotional watching some of Tyson's interviews talking about him, it's an interesting what-if to think about, whether Tyson would have gotten into as much trouble as he did later on if Cus had been around.

Agree re: Nate Diaz. If you're a fighter, you should fight. Plain and simple. If he sits around forever waiting for Conor, he'll eventually just become unmarketable. At least, that's my opinion.

I know you want Aldo-McGregor, but the fact is, I don't think Conor or the UFC really has an interest in it. Aldo would also have to move up a weight class. I don't see McGregor being keen on going all skeletal again.
I feel Tyson would have been a MONSTER if Cus would have lived longer and Cus' protege too. Tyson looked at Cus as a father figure/role model. If you like at the training vids of Cus and Tyson. (Tyson is super scary).

I was a fan of the Diaz bros but they are just too much. These guys could have built a solid brand and fan-base. Gotten the big PPVs with big $$ but they always latched to the big star. GSP, Conor.

I agree on Aldo-McGregor. The UFC will probably not want it and Conor might not want it either.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:32 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Quote:

Jose is 31. Conor is 30.

Aldo hasnt been in his prime since USADA came on board. Conor just showed that with one punch. He hasnt looked hte same at all.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Aldo hasnt been in his prime since USADA came on board. Conor just showed that with one punch. He hasnt looked hte same at all.
A lot of people haven't looked the same since USADA. Johny Hendricks, Alistair Overeem, etc.

That punch could have been lucky. A rematch was needed.

Anderson Silva got one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)