U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2018, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Jersey City
2,696 posts, read 989,315 times
Reputation: 1913

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
McGregor went two years without a real fight (I dont count Mayweather) and I thought he did really good in winning the 3rd round. I had heard it was the first time Khabib had lost a round. The thing about a Khabib fight is once hes on top you know youve lost the round becuase youre not getting up. I just wish McGegor fought in a fight to warm up, two years is a long time.
Agreed, honestly Conor should have couple tune-up fights before facing Khabib in a rematch. Have him face some back-half top 10 guys, who are a challenge, but winnable fights. Justin Gaethje and Anthony Pettis come to mind.

However, Conor is only going to want big fights. Perhaps we'll get a CMac-Diaz trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Outside of the Conner fight, Khabib is one of the most respectful fighters in the UFC. He would shake hands with the opponent after the fight or even call for stoppage when he is mauling the guy too badly just to prevent further injuries. Imo for Khabib its not really about the money, its about honor, he still lives in his parents' house in Dagestan... And its not like Khabib just randomly went off on some Joe-shmoe in the audience. Dillon Denis should've been escorted off the premises and shouldn't even be allowed to be there in the first place. In what other sport does a coach from an opposing team would try to instigate a fight with the other side? If your defense is "sh*t-talk is part of the game to sell the fight", why was he still talking sh*t after the fight is already over? This was obviously personal.
This ultimately rests on the UFC. They let Connor run amok for years with no repercussions, and even encouraged other fighters to mimic his antics for $$$. Sure Connor's popularity might have brought more eyes on the UFC, but Connor is bad for long term survival of the sport.
Exactly man, check this out. Khabib pre and post-fight with past opponents.

https://streamable.com/g57qg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2018, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Sure Connor's popularity might have brought more eyes on the UFC, but Connor is bad for long term survival of the sport.
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities (StP)
3,017 posts, read 1,872,367 times
Reputation: 2342
I love how just about everyone (in the media) is claiming that McGregor deserves an immediate rematch. He deserves no such thing. He wasn't the champion, he never defended the belt when he was champion, and he was thoroughly dominated by Khabib. As of right now it's Khabib and Ferguson, everyone else needs to prove their worth.

On a side note, Aldo deserved an immediate rematch vs McGregor, and he is still ducking him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
3,368 posts, read 1,796,936 times
Reputation: 11446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I love how just about everyone (in the media) is claiming that McGregor deserves an immediate rematch. He deserves no such thing. He wasn't the champion, he never defended the belt when he was champion, and he was thoroughly dominated by Khabib. As of right now it's Khabib and Ferguson, everyone else needs to prove their worth.

On a side note, Aldo deserved an immediate rematch vs McGregor, and he is still ducking him.
Exactly. Also I don't see how Dana White is saying Khabib may not get his Visa to get back in the US. Ahem, Dana, your wonder boy charged a bus with 20 thugs trying to get a Khabib, injured multiple people, and got back in. What Khabib did was nowhere near as serious. Dana plays favorites in the UFC and is becoming the sports next Don King. He did the same thing with Rhonda Rousey. He plays favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 09:47 AM
 
3,276 posts, read 1,496,081 times
Reputation: 2458
The problem is that nobody wants to watch a PED Russian with a padded record hold onto a guy's ankles for 5 rounds until his opponent falls asleep.

What a gladiator that guy is. He would have done so well back in the spartan days, immediately falling to a man's feet and "holding on for dear life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 09:55 AM
 
8,085 posts, read 5,297,927 times
Reputation: 9241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I love how just about everyone (in the media) is claiming that McGregor deserves an immediate rematch. He deserves no such thing. He wasn't the champion, he never defended the belt when he was champion, and he was thoroughly dominated by Khabib. As of right now it's Khabib and Ferguson, everyone else needs to prove their worth.

On a side note, Aldo deserved an immediate rematch vs McGregor, and he is still ducking him.
I feel the same way. Aldo deserved an immediate rematch. The 6 second punch could have been a flunk and i highly doubt Mcgregor would have done the same in a rematch. Mcgregor never defended his belts.

UFC needs to merge Glory Kickboxing with their UFC events. This way their fighters have more recovery and training time for a new fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 09:57 AM
 
8,085 posts, read 5,297,927 times
Reputation: 9241
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Exactly. Also I don't see how Dana White is saying Khabib may not get his Visa to get back in the US. Ahem, Dana, your wonder boy charged a bus with 20 thugs trying to get a Khabib, injured multiple people, and got back in. What Khabib did was nowhere near as serious. Dana plays favorites in the UFC and is becoming the sports next Don King. He did the same thing with Rhonda Rousey. He plays favorites.
Dana caters to whoever the cash cow is at the moment.

The Iceman, TIto, Randy, Forrest, Anderson Silva, GSP, Machida, BJ Penn, Jon Jones, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities (StP)
3,017 posts, read 1,872,367 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
The problem is that nobody wants to watch a PED Russian with a padded record hold onto a guy's ankles for 5 rounds until his opponent falls asleep.

What a gladiator that guy is. He would have done so well back in the spartan days, immediately falling to a man's feet and "holding on for dear life."
Khabib really knows how to grasp those ankles....
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses...75738400063489


It's called Mixed Martial Arts, maybe your home girl should go try out kick boxing if he is so afraid of the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities (StP)
3,017 posts, read 1,872,367 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I feel the same way. Aldo deserved an immediate rematch. The 6 second punch could have been a flunk and i highly doubt Mcgregor would have done the same in a rematch. Mcgregor never defended his belts.

UFC needs to merge Glory Kickboxing with their UFC events. This way their fighters have more recovery and training time for a new fight.
It's crazy. Granted Aldo doesn't appear to be as great as we once was (or Holloway just has his number, the dude is huge for a featherweight), but he defended his belt 10 straight times. If that doesn't deserve an immediate rematch then McGregor definitely doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 10:27 AM
 
8,085 posts, read 5,297,927 times
Reputation: 9241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
It's crazy. Granted Aldo doesn't appear to be as great as we once was (or Holloway just has his number, the dude is huge for a featherweight), but he defended his belt 10 straight times. If that doesn't deserve an immediate rematch then McGregor definitely doesn't.
Dana just didn't like Aldo since he was not great at promoting his fights. I feel like he doesn't like the non-english speaking champions. He makes some exceptions. Anderson Silva. But i feel that he was really happy when Chris Weidman KOed him.

I bet Dana was hoping that Conor would KO Khabib. Promotion wise Khabib is a tough sell due to his fighting style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top