U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2018, 10:38 AM
 
3,276 posts, read 1,494,049 times
Reputation: 2458

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Khabib really knows how to grasp those ankles....
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses...75738400063489


It's called Mixed Martial Arts, maybe your home girl should go try out kick boxing if he is so afraid of the ground.
I had a friend that fought like that. He got stomped out in a club. No BS. Could not box to save his life.

It was the only way he could win a fight and he was good at, but he paid the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2018, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
3,368 posts, read 1,795,181 times
Reputation: 11446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I had a friend that fought like that. He got stomped out in a club. No BS. Could not box to save his life.

It was the only way he could win a fight and he was good at, but he paid the price.
Kind of ironic that the biggest strike landed was by Khabib when he floored Conor with an overhand right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities (StP)
3,017 posts, read 1,870,575 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I had a friend that fought like that. He got stomped out in a club. No BS. Could not box to save his life.

It was the only way he could win a fight and he was good at, but he paid the price.
Fight like how? Mount a guy and beat the **** out of him while asking if he would like to talk? Because that is what I watched on Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
3,739 posts, read 3,849,326 times
Reputation: 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
The problem is that nobody wants to watch a PED Russian with a padded record hold onto a guy's ankles for 5 rounds until his opponent falls asleep.

What a gladiator that guy is. He would have done so well back in the spartan days, immediately falling to a man's feet and "holding on for dear life."
Let me remind you, the sport is called Mixed Martial Arts. If you want to see purely punching, just watch boxing. If you are talking about a street fight, Khabib or any other decent MMA fighter would literally kill any boxer (including heavy weights) just because of kicks and the ground game. I sure hope this is not debatable by anyone. This whole thing was settled back in the 90s early days of the UFC, when all these roided up boxers and kickboxers got completely dominated by ju jitsu/sambo guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I had a friend that fought like that. He got stomped out in a club. No BS. Could not box to save his life.

It was the only way he could win a fight and he was good at, but he paid the price.
Your friend was an Olympic gold medalist wrestler or a ju jitsu black belt and lost to some random dude in a club? Yeah ok.

Last edited by Gantz; 10-10-2018 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 11:37 AM
 
8,083 posts, read 5,289,711 times
Reputation: 9241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Let me remind you, the sport is called Mixed Martial Arts. If you want to see purely punching, just watch boxing. If you are talking about a street fight, Khabib or any other decent MMA fighter would literally kill any boxer (including heavy weights) just because of kicks and the ground game. I sure hope this is not debatable by anyone.
I agree. Khabib is highly skilled in Sambo. He lacks boxing and kickboxing BUT his sambo/wreslting is so high level that it can defeat a person. Having someone's weight on top you can constrict your breathing, can generate anxiety, etc. 2 well rounded fighter - GSP and Jon Jones.

People find Mayweather's boxing boring but that is TRUE boxing. Mayweather has mastered the science of boxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 12:04 PM
 
3,276 posts, read 1,494,049 times
Reputation: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Let me remind you, the sport is called Mixed Martial Arts. If you want to see purely punching, just watch boxing. If you are talking about a street fight, Khabib or any other decent MMA fighter would literally kill any boxer (including heavy weights) just because of kicks and the ground game. I sure hope this is not debatable by anyone. This whole thing was settled back in the 90s early days of the UFC, when all these roided up boxers and kickboxers got completely dominated by ju jitsu/sambo guys.

Your friend was an Olympic gold medalist wrestler or a ju jitsu black belt and lost to some random dude in a club? Yeah ok.
Why would a boxer take roids? What would it do? Roids are better for wrestling.

Anyway, my friend was a D1 college wrestler, so I'd say he was pretty good. He got 5 concussions and lost an eye.

That's just reality. You never EVER EVER EVER wanna be on the ground during a real fight IMO.

And it wasn't some random dude. It was random dudes.

Also, most fights I've seen that went to the ground resulted in something tearing, like a meniscus or shoulder. Khabib is basically put together with a padded record where he fought 0-2 fighters deep into his career, and Russian PEDs.

His career is riddled with injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities (StP)
3,017 posts, read 1,870,575 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Why would a boxer take roids? What would it do? Roids are better for wrestling.

Anyway, my friend was a D1 college wrestler, so I'd say he was pretty good. He got 5 concussions and lost an eye.

That's just reality. You never EVER EVER EVER wanna be on the ground during a real fight IMO.

And it wasn't some random dude. It was random dudes.

Also, most fights I've seen that went to the ground resulted in something tearing, like a meniscus or shoulder. Khabib is basically put together with a padded record where he fought 0-2 fighters deep into his career, and Russian PEDs.

His career is riddled with injuries.
You're trying too hard here. McGregor is not a real MMA fighter. He is a glorified amateur boxer that spent 85% of his career fighting guys smaller than him and trash talked them into wanting to stand up and trade blows.

This is the second time (Diaz is the other) he didn't get in an opponents head and got his ass whooped accordingly.

And for people claiming ring rust. I'd bet that he took the past 2 years to train specifically for fighting Khabib, and still got stomped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
2,696 posts, read 987,386 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Why would a boxer take roids? What would it do? Roids are better for wrestling.

Anyway, my friend was a D1 college wrestler, so I'd say he was pretty good. He got 5 concussions and lost an eye.

That's just reality. You never EVER EVER EVER wanna be on the ground during a real fight IMO.

And it wasn't some random dude. It was random dudes.

Also, most fights I've seen that went to the ground resulted in something tearing, like a meniscus or shoulder. Khabib is basically put together with a padded record where he fought 0-2 fighters deep into his career, and Russian PEDs.

His career is riddled with injuries.
This is a rather silly debate, self defense is all about situational awareness. If I had to pick being elite at either boxing or MMA for street self defense, id pick MMA simply because it gives you more options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 05:02 AM
 
Location: Jersey City
2,696 posts, read 987,386 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
The problem is that nobody wants to watch a PED Russian with a padded record hold onto a guy's ankles for 5 rounds until his opponent falls asleep.

What a gladiator that guy is. He would have done so well back in the spartan days, immediately falling to a man's feet and "holding on for dear life."
Ok come on this is ridiculous. Khabib's record was somewhat padded, but his victories were in such impressive fashion that everybody knew he was in all likelihood a top-3 lightweight in the world. Also, Al Iaquinta (albeit on short notice) and Edson Barboza are both top 10 LWs, and Rafael Dos Anjos is the # welterweight. And now he adds Conor, who previously had a claim to the #1 spot. Also it's a little disingenuous of you to knock him for that when in the same breath you mock him for saying he wants to be the Floyd Mayweather of MMA. Boxing has a TON of record padding, far more so than MMA, a sport where it's much more difficult to be undefeated.

Also, this is mixed martial arts. Wrestling and ground fighting is part of the game. Maybe it's not the sport for you if you don't want to watch that. You can't deny that Khabib is a ****ing warrior. He took Conor to the ground and absolutely mauled him. This wasn't a "lay n' pray" situation. Certainly not "falling to a man's feet and holding on for dear life." Did you even watch the fight?

Not only that, the threat of wrestling allows a ground specialist to outstrike a striker at times, as Khabib did in round 2 when he dropped Conor, because the striker has to worry about the threat of the takedown (and as such affects their hand/foot placement, etc.). The implication that somehow Khabib's wrestling wouldn't help him in a real fight is patently ridiculous. MMA is as close to a real fight as you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
You're trying too hard here. McGregor is not a real MMA fighter. He is a glorified amateur boxer that spent 85% of his career fighting guys smaller than him and trash talked them into wanting to stand up and trade blows.

This is the second time (Diaz is the other) he didn't get in an opponents head and got his ass whooped accordingly.

And for people claiming ring rust. I'd bet that he took the past 2 years to train specifically for fighting Khabib, and still got stomped.
I don't think you're being fair here either Grizzly. Before this fight, McGregor's record was more impressive than Khabib because he was getting victories over straight killers. He's as real an MMA fighter as anyone. I get the dislike of him, but you can't knock him for both his skill and fearlessness.

I don't think ring rust is why he lost, but I bet could McGregor could look a little sharper in the rematch with a couple more fights under his belt. To be honest though, even with a couple tune-up fights I don't think the result will be any different in a rematch. He was so thoroughly dominated, it's hard for me to conceive what he could possible do to overcome Khabib's wrestling in the rematch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,386,697 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
You're trying too hard here. McGregor is not a real MMA fighter. He is a glorified amateur boxer that spent 85% of his career fighting guys smaller than him and trash talked them into wanting to stand up and trade blows.

This is the second time (Diaz is the other) he didn't get in an opponents head and got his ass whooped accordingly.

And for people claiming ring rust. I'd bet that he took the past 2 years to train specifically for fighting Khabib, and still got stomped.
What a moronic statement. He literally merked almost everyone in front of him and became a champ champ. He beat people that nobody thought he would. I dont know of any fighters in that division that fight at the weight they walk around at either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top