U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:43 AM

3,752 posts, read 3,859,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I agree to the extent that Aldo should've gotten the rematch immediately. I just think it's past the time now. It's just not an interesting fight anymore. An immediate rematch would've been interesting, but today's Aldo will in all likelihood lose badly.

McGregor v. Holloway would be great, the last time they fought they were both youngsters.

McGregor v. Diaz would also be fun.

McGregor v. GSP....I don't think that's a smart move for McGregor. Even though GSP is past his prime, he's not thaaat far off and he has a great size advantage.

What about McGregor v. Pettis? I think that could be a great fight. IMO McGregor takes it, but it'll be a challenge and a good opportunity for him to sharpen up before going back to try to take on the big dogs in the division and in the P4P conversation.
Realistically, McGregor should fight Ferguson. The winner of that fight fights Khabib. This is ofcourse if we care about the sport, and not matchmaking for $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Not really. He won 2 belts and then was stripped of both belts. He went up against 1 of the guys who claimed the titled and lost.

He should fight Holloway and see if he can recoup that belt. A fight with Khabib will end the same for him. He can't move up as Tyron would be too big for him.

Similar to Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman. The 1st fight everyone considered it a fluke and Silva and Weidman fought again. The rematch sealed the deal for Weidman.

Also, Aldo defended his belt 10 times. He should have received an automatic rematch. A rematch will settle the 1st fight.

Mcgregor will have a fight in his hands in a rematch.
You literally just contradicted yourself, he won both belts therfore he was champ champ. I agree he shouldve defended both but he wont both so thats all you have to do to be champ champ. Win the title fight.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Realistically, McGregor should fight Ferguson. The winner of that fight fights Khabib. This is ofcourse if we care about the sport, and not matchmaking for $$$.
Ferguson wins that I think, the dude can do wars. Of course the left could catch him but I think if it doesnt that Ferguson wins.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:47 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,873,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You literally just contradicted yourself, he won both belts therfore he was champ champ. I agree he shouldve defended both but he wont both so thats all you have to do to be champ champ. Win the title fight.
I understand that he held both belts at the same time, but IMO it is pseudo champ champ scenario. He won the FW title fair and square, no qualms there, however Aldo deserved an immediate rematch. He then went on and fought Diaz twice outside of the division so he should have been stripped of that title. He was then granted a BS first fight title shot at LW when Ferguson and Khabib (both of whom don't lose to Conor) were more worthy of that fight against Alvarez. So while he did technically hold both belts at the same time, in the minds of many he should have been stripped of his FW title before even getting the LW title shot, on top of which he didn't deserve to jump the whole lineup of LW fighters and get that shot in the first place.

For comparison, Cormier's champ champ status is much more appreciable. He defended the LHW title twice, and moved up to a weight class he has previously fought at in which he was undefeated, so his jumping the whole HW lineup to get that shot was acceptable.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:59 PM

8,119 posts, read 5,305,796 times
Quote:
How can he be the champ champ when he was stripped and lost against the new champ champ??

Old 10-12-2018, 07:02 PM

6,469 posts, read 3,464,685 times
Not a fan of the extracurricular crap, but that has exited in boxing forever. I put it on the fighters themselves for being dweebs instead of professionals. I would prefer to see them go into the ring, and simply fight their hearts out, and shake hands afterwards. Of course that will never happen because it doesn't sell. Sportsmanship doesn't sell in fighting.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:08 AM

2,702 posts, read 991,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Disagree, while I would love to see that fight in general. I think Ferguson already deserves the title shot! He was interim champ, and is on a great undefeated streak.

Just look at the names of 4 of his 5 last victories....Anthony Pettis, Kevin Lee, Rafael Dos Anjos, Edson Barboza.

Ferg has more than earned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Not a fan of the extracurricular crap, but that has exited in boxing forever. I put it on the fighters themselves for being dweebs instead of professionals. I would prefer to see them go into the ring, and simply fight their hearts out, and shake hands afterwards.
To be fair, this is the case most of the time.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:16 PM

1,900 posts, read 832,580 times
Quote:
Ferguson wins that I think, the dude can do wars. Of course the left could catch him but I think if it doesnt that Ferguson wins.

I'm not even sure that famed left is all that. I mean for sure it carries weight or is nothing to scoff at but all conquering? Not so sure.
When wearing boxing gloves there was not much left of that power or at least not enough to have a 40 year old and clearly smaller Mayweather worried. For what felt like the first time Floyd stood infront of an opponent and just walked him down willing to take punches. OK one could argue the gloves made the difference then.
Diaz ate all of Conor punches willingly but that is Diaz, he likes blocking blows with his face....

But then there is also the case that McGregor seems to have build this reputation of his infamous left, "that the human skull is not designed to take" as he put it against smaller opposition that he always out-sized significantly.
Anyone who has been more along him in his more natural size could take his left. Khabib being yet another one.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
How can he be the champ champ when he was stripped and lost against the new champ champ??
Because he literally held both belts at the same time before he was stripped of the first one. Dana literally gave him a second belt.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:09 PM

872 posts, read 296,449 times
Not a hijack but interesting the khabib mayweather balloon went up so quick
$
Dana?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)