U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 12:06 PM

1,280 posts, read 432,920 times

Advertisements

I can see why watching MMA is appealing, but why would participating in it be appealing?

You get beaten up, and it is surely painful. Same for submission wrestling. And it happens in front of lots of people, so it could be humiliating.

What's the appeal?

High school wrestling? Not painful, and a good workout. Running? Same. Football? Sort of painful, but at least you're not beaten up in front of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 08:17 PM

8,082 posts, read 5,282,893 times
It's a gladiator sport. Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing are modern day Gladiator sports.

If you see the fans at these shows, you will find NBA, Football, MLB stars, etc.

The boxing, MMA, kickboxing fighters want to be the best, get paid a lot, get the belt, the bragging rights, the street cred, etc.

I enjoy practicing boxing and kickboxing. Both are amazing martial arts. They both teach different techniques, movements, tactics, etc.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:54 PM

2,877 posts, read 3,299,883 times
Its a challenge to overcome. I don't compete in either though, only judo in my youth. Loosing is simply part of the sport.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:44 AM

2,695 posts, read 985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can see why watching MMA is appealing, but why would participating in it be appealing?

You get beaten up, and it is surely painful. Same for submission wrestling. And it happens in front of lots of people, so it could be humiliating.

What's the appeal?

High school wrestling? Not painful, and a good workout. Running? Same. Football? Sort of painful, but at least you're not beaten up in front of people.

Are you talking about competing, training, or both? Also, I'm going to assume that by "submission wrestling" you're referring to BJJ.

Regardless, as a new participant myself, I think I can explain this fairly well. It's not just a physical discipline, but a mental one as well. In training, you realize little things mentally that hold you back that you didn't realize before. It almost makes the rest of the world seem lighter.

However, I'm primarily in it to learn self defense, but am not opposed to competing in a grappling, Sanda, or MMA match at some point in the future (the latter only after years of training).

To me, combat sports are the ultimate form of competition between two people. Losing is part of the game. I think getting over the fear of being "humiliated" is a challenge to overcome as well. Regardless, I think most fighters who step in the cage have the ultimate respect for each other.

As for the relative pain levels, I didn't compete in high school wrestling, but I have trained a bit of single and double leg takedowns, and also attended a Greco-Roman wrestling seminar. Let me tell you, my body ACHED after that seminar. Trust me, getting thrown and taken down has its share of pain, so I don't think wrestling is quite a good comparison to BJJ in terms of painfulness. Speak to any wrestler and they'll tell you it's a grueling sport.

BJJ has it's pain too, but it's mainly the discomfort of actually being submitted, and being put in all sorts of uncomfortable positions. That's why the mantra is tap early and tap often for joint locks, so your joints don't take too much of a beating over time. (you can also really hurt yourself if you try to be a hero and wait too long to tap).

I also don't think rugby and football are the best comparisons either. I played rugby in college, and had my share of injuries. I think your body gets more beat up from that than BJJ. Football is even worse. Football players launch themselves explosively at each other without a care for what it does to your body. The helmets and padding oddly have made the sport more dangerous in that regard.

In terms of safety, I think football is a more dangerous sport than MMA. I don't have empirical data to support it since it's a young sport, but I think it's definitely arguable.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:09 AM

1,762 posts, read 561,837 times
I enjoyed that full contact aspect of it when I was in martial arts. You get to see if you know what you’re doing and what really works. I never went into anything planning on getting hurt. It just sometimes happened.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 AM

2,695 posts, read 985,647 times
I guess the OP wasn't all that curious after all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)