Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 01:37 PM

276 posts, read 204,112 times

Advertisements

All too often I hear about the legal consequences if you ever do end up defending yourself, but usually such stories and situations have to do with using guns in self defense. Since the gun debate is such a hot topic there are big arguments regarding the right to self defense with a gun and there's also arguments against using guns for self defense but you don't hear much arguments in regards to using martial arts, using your body and hands in self defense in situations that don't involve guns. As such people sometimes get in big trouble for taking down attackers and this is in situations that don't involve guns.

When it comes to damage and destruction guns are at a totally different level than martial arts, I don't care how good of a martial artist you are. Nevertheless you can still really get the book thrown at you if you ever do use martial arts in a real fight. I would like to discuss the law regarding self defense using just your hands and body and perhaps talk about taking steps to make it so that people don't get in trouble when they defend themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 03:38 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
All too often I hear about the legal consequences if you ever do end up defending yourself, but usually such stories and situations have to do with using guns in self defense. Since the gun debate is such a hot topic there are big arguments regarding the right to self defense with a gun and there's also arguments against using guns for self defense but you don't hear much arguments in regards to using martial arts, using your body and hands in self defense in situations that don't involve guns. As such people sometimes get in big trouble for taking down attackers and this is in situations that don't involve guns.

When it comes to damage and destruction guns are at a totally different level than martial arts, I don't care how good of a martial artist you are. Nevertheless you can still really get the book thrown at you if you ever do use martial arts in a real fight. I would like to discuss the law regarding self defense using just your hands and body and perhaps talk about taking steps to make it so that people don't get in trouble when they defend themselves.
Supposedly, self-defense is allowed in some cases. But it seems risky to do so. There was one case of an off-duty Chicago cop who defended himself in Iowa. He ended up in prison. If an off-duty cop (white) can end up in prison for defending himself in a situation that seemed justifiable in court, then imagine what can happen to someone who is not an off-duty cop. Anything goes.
https://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/2...cop/index.html

Old 07-27-2020, 07:09 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
I came VERY close to getting arrested for getting into a fist fight after getting jumped by two guys years ago. The reasoning behind the near-arrest, according to the cops, was that I caused physical damage upon my foes, hence, aggravated battery or some nonsense. Had I lost, I guess there would have been no legal consequences.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:30 AM

40 posts, read 25,774 times
Sorry, I know this is an older thread.

I was actually arrested for defending myself and spent a night in jail.

I was in a convertible. My attacker was angry because I honked at him for cutting me off. He turned his car around, blocked my lane so I could not go around me, ran up to me where I was sitting in my car with the roof down and began grabbing at me.

Keep in mind, I cannot just lock a door or roll a window up, I have no roof.

He was bigger than me, but I was able to grab him by his lapels and walk him back into some bushes on the curb and shake him pretty thoroughly.

The only damage he sustained was a torn shirt and scratches on his back from the branches.

The cops arrested me and I spent the night in an actual prison cell with a child molester who was there long term.

When it went to trial a few weeks later, they asked me to plead guilty and of course I did not. I told them there was film footage from a nearby bank.

The prosecutor watched it, and dropped all charges. Self Defense

The other guy was never charged at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)