Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 02:24 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,654,607 times

Advertisements

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_TT2xUcmFwU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TT2xUcmFwU

Ben Askren, the top notch Olympic level wrestler (state champion and Mizzou National champ (twice)), beats the legendary former UFC Champ Robbie Lawler with a Bulldog Choke after getting Souflex thrown on head and taking heavy shots!

Stoppage a little controversial (too early), but RL wasn't getting out (he breaks watermelons with that choke). Lots of haters on Ben including Dana White (minimal standup, boring, plodding style, etc.), but it works...Ben Askren takes a heck of a shot and is no quitter!

Would love to see him fight Khabib Nurmagomedov next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 02:46 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DvHWFmOosmA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvHWFmOosmA

One more of Ben Askren crushing two watermelons at once lol!

Old 03-06-2019, 03:14 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,199 times
That might be the worst stoppage I've ever seen, you can tell btw Lawler popped up immediately he wasn't in any trouble. Dean f'd up bad.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
That might be the worst stoppage I've ever seen, you can tell btw Lawler popped up immediately he wasn't in any trouble. Dean f'd up bad.

I really like Lawler...he could probably function almost when KO'd...is an animal warrior. I think Askren loosened his grip immediately when Herb Dean jumped in which is why he popped up and recovered so quickly.

However, Robbie Lawler's arm went LIMP and he was OUT for a moment there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V4-fBRkyxJw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4-fBRkyxJw

This is a long clip (great USMAN analysis too)...agree with Gracie's analysis on how that Bulldog Choke worked and was a legitimate victory for Ben Askren.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:51 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,598 times
I understand the stoppage, when I watched the fight I saw his arm go limp. From our camera angle you couldn't see his face either. I don't think he was out, although it's possible that maybe he went out briefly, and then once Askren loosened his grip he came back to life. It's Dean's job to protect the fighters, and honestly right after the stoppage and Lawler popped right up, you saw Dean's face and he immediately knew he made a mistake.

Would love to see them run it back, I think Lawler takes the rematch. Regardless, how can anyone not be a Lawler fan after this fight? He was all class after the stoppage.

Tbh, while I was impressed with Askren's toughness and find him to be generally likeable, I'm not a fan of his fight style. At this juncture, I don't think he has what it takes to beat the top guys in the division. He's still too one-dimensional to be beat the creme de la creme.

Khabib-Askren would be interesting....I'd sure as hell be rooting for Khabib that's for sure, but I'd also bet on him to win. I think perhaps the strategy for Khabib would be to constantly pressure Askren, like we saw with Usman against Woodley.

Last edited by Valhallian; 03-08-2019 at 03:00 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 06:44 AM

4 posts, read 2,697 times
Hi everyone. As a viewer, I don't like his style. It is boring. You will not see anything new in his fights. His best side is wrestling so its the only thing he will do in each fight. But he is still resultative.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:11 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,545 times
I remember Askren when wrestled at Missouri. The matches were highlighted on ESPN. He had made a vow not to get a haircut until he won the championship. Some of the Missouri fans wore these wigs in support. Askren was hugely successful in college.

But he struggled in international matches and eventually moved onto MMA. There, he found huge success again until the he was knocked out badly in a recent fight. I hope he is ok. But he should probably retire since the CTE brain trauma is now a high risk for him. He's won enough matches and MMA fights to reminisce while he still has his health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)